1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Just ordered a Ratmandu CG!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Shovelhead2, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Shovelhead2

Shovelhead2

Nov 23, 2015
    Just placed an order for the Ratmandu CG in muddy brown with black micarta scales. Thought I would try for a different color scheme, but I can't find many examples of it online and may be getting cold feet about the muddy brown. Anybody have an example of the color scheme I picked? I'm really just excited for the knife either way and I'm sure I will love it. Thanks.

Brian77 likes this.
  2. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I only have 2 muddys - one with tan canvas, the other with red/black g10.
    The good news is that if you don't like the muddy, it will just encourage you to use the knife...or, you can take the easy way out and strip it

3. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    Had to do some digging for these picture, but here's the red/black on muddy
    [​IMG]
    and the tan canvas on muddy is shown here
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Uncle Timbo likes this.
  4. Shovelhead2

Shovelhead2

Nov 23, 2015
    Thanks guys. I may call them just to see if I can get it changed.

5. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Congrats on your order, I'm sure you can change the combo if you want.

Btw, fbusmc just posted a BGTG on the Busse Exchange in muddy and black canvas if you want to see a pic.

My BG AMS had muddy coating. I liked the color, but I stripped it right away anyway.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  6. Shovelhead2

Shovelhead2

Nov 23, 2015
    Thanks for the heads up! Those don't look too bad. I sent them an email earlier today about it. I wouldn't be too bummed if they don't change it though.

7. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    I don't think there are any bad color combinations. Some are better than others? I'm like Brother Inky, strip her down.
    Now Brother Elof and Brother HK prolly have a family much like Brother Moore above. They might have one in each flavor.
    Mine has to pull her weight!

8. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    I've got a few extras that are just for looking good; but my users get used.

9. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Oddly enough I have only one standard CG RMD (tanker/black canvas), the next closest is drop point which is CG muddy/brown canvas

The CG RMD was my first Rat/Bussekin

10. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I've got a lot of muddy blades, but not with black canvas scales. I go with tan canvas for that combo. Although I like that red/black g10 posted above :thumbsup:

OP, the shop is really good about accepting changes early on in the order. I'd just get ahold of them ASAP. I think it still might look good though, let us know what you decide.

11. Shovelhead2

Shovelhead2

Nov 23, 2015
    So I contacted them through the website on Friday, and asked if I could change the blade finish. I got an email today saying my order is awaiting shipment but they also updated the color to black/black. Now comes the long wait! The website said between 6-32 weeks.

Anybody know how long it's taking right now? This is my first swamp rat, and I'm anxious to get it.

12. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Ahh, it all depends. Good things come to those who wait.

13. kniferMan

kniferMan Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2011
    You can't go wrong with an RMD. It doesn't matter what color you get :). That said you're gonna love those canvas slabs. Congrats on the purchase!

14. MosMatically

MosMatically

May 22, 2017
    Just got mine last month. It only takes about 3-4 weeks. Got mine in 3, shipped to NY. The knives are already made, just not sharpened yet. Their custom shop is super busy is all. Wont take longer than 3-4 weeks.

15. Shovelhead2

Shovelhead2

Nov 23, 2015
    Funny you mentioned it, it actually came in the mail today. This thing is sweet!

16. Shovelhead2

Shovelhead2

Nov 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Obligatory picture of it in the backyard.

17. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Congrats, looks great!!

18. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    CongRATs!!!

If it's your first, then get ready for Rat infestation...

19. zakjak221

zakjak221 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Nice blade there Shovel...

20. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    IMG_1623.PNG Hey congrats on the score !!! Your making me want to order another :)

Although their not Swamp rats, but they are Busse and in the muddy with black. I really like the muddy cause it tends to be smoother.