Just ordered my second Spydie!!!

Toolin

BANNED
I just ordered a SS Endura plain blade online and it should be here in a few days!!! I saw them at my local Army Navy and they where the perfect size. Now all I have to do is get my Delica fixed.;)

Did you have a chance to handle a stainless Endura before you ordered one? I had one awhile back, and found it to be an EXCELLENT knife, except that the polished stainless scales (handle?) made it fairly slippery. I now have a "new-style" Endura with the "plastic" scales that I like alot, (even'tho my wife has now claimed it as her new "purse knife" :().

Your point on the slippery-steel handle is well-taken, Glockman99. I found that my SS Harpy needed some "stipling" to make it grippy enough for EDC. Another forumite posted that he sanded the steel with fine sandpaper (320 grit, I think) to add to handling qualities.

Well the only time my knife gets wet is at work, and that is what my Delica with nylon handle is for. Thanx guys.

A couple days late, and more dollars short, I expect, but good luck with your new knife, Toolin.

One of the concerns about slippery handles is in a self-defense situation, which is a potential use for most EDCs. Blood, sweat, snot, etc., can make hanging onto one's knife extremely difficult. A dropped knife in such circumstances can prove fatal.

One good thing, tho, about SS handles, is the potential to have them engraved, and thereby also gain a bit better grip.

Hi, Toolin.
I'm the one who used the 320 grit sandpaper on the handles. I carefully removed the clip from my harpy, and sanded diagonally across the handles, finally using some wd-40 to clear out all the fine metal dust from the pivot area. It reduces the appearance of fingerprints, adds a little texture, and just plain looks neat. If you want more texturing, of course, just try rougher sandpaper- you can always go finer again if you don't like it.

BTW- I'm saying sandpaper, but it was actually some synthetic product.

Frank

Back