Just picked up a Growl... Left me with a question for the SOG people

ohmyheckinslc

Gold Member
http://www.sogknives.com/growl.html

I've been carrying a Snarl for a few weeks and I think it compares pretty well to the Brous SS original. So I pick up a Growl, and I notice the blade is thinner than expected...

Official specs are .25 inch thick blade stock and the one I bought is closer to 3/16th of an inch thick. Did I accidentally stumble on a fake or are the official specs off? My snarl is just a hair under .25 inches thick, for comparison.

Just curious, thanks!

The thickness of 0.25" is represented all over, from the SOG site to various vendors.
Reviews of the SOG Growl only refer to the lack of the third edge, no mention of any change
in thickness. Is there anything about the knife oth erwise that causes you to suspect a counterfeit?

The thickness of 0.25" is represented all over, from the SOG site to various vendors.
Reviews of the SOG Growl only refer to the lack of the third edge, no mention of any change
in thickness. Is there anything about the knife oth erwise that causes you to suspect a counterfeit?

F&F is fine. No issue otherwise. Also, I checked the specs on the Brous Triple Threat that the Sog is based on, and it's 3/16ths of an inch thick, so I assume Sog just has the specs wrong on their site and press literature. It's just a pet peeve of mine. :)
I'd like to hear the final word from Sog one way or the other, though.

F&F is fine. No issue otherwise. Also, I checked the specs on the Brous Triple Threat that the Sog is based on, and it's 3/16ths of an inch thick, so I assume Sog just has the specs wrong on their site and press literature. It's just a pet peeve of mine. :)
I'd like to hear the final word from Sog one way or the other, though.

Try sending Chris (the mod for this subforum) a PM or email. He has always gotten back to me when I have had a question.

what did HE say??????????

Chris never responded. I emailed customer support at Sog and they asked for pics to verify that it was legit, then never responded after I sent them said pics. It didn't leave me excited by Sog.

I'm sure it's legit, and the specs on the site are just wrong. Another prominent maker is selling a knife on their site, whose specs are listed incorrectly, and have been incorrect since at least 2007... I'm just sayin'...

Last edited:
Back