1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Just picked up a John Greco and need help identifying

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by BIG45-70, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BIG45-70

BIG45-70

Aug 29, 2010
    [​IMG]

I just picked up this blade from the exchange. It is a real functional beauty. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the model and steel type or anything else. The only markings are "greco" on one side and "A" on the other.

2. BIG45-70

BIG45-70

Aug 29, 2010
    Just wanna just this thread a bump!

3. parfums95

parfums95 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 24, 2008
    I have a same 52100 by Jhon greco
    [​IMG]

4. Jiabla

Jiabla

May 18, 2013
    I have the same knife. It is from around 1998 to 2001. The A denotes that it is A2 steel. I think he called it the companion. They are little tanks of a knife. I have used the heck out of mine.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  5. BIG45-70

BIG45-70

Aug 29, 2010
    Thanks for the info boys!

6. Mongrel

Mongrel

May 2, 2002
    Yep-that's a Greco "Companion". Probably his most popular model next to the MST (mid-sized-tactical), which is the knife in the bigger picture above. That's the one that got my interest when I saw it in a knife mag profile of John Greco.

That's an earlier one as already stated. Pre-2000 most likely, because of the brown sheath and the "A" designation.

He later changed them to a thinner profile (0.20" vs. 0.25") and made them in a different steel marked with an "8". Yours has the older gray "crib-safe" finish. Later on they went to a black crinkle type finish and after that a gray "denim" (marbalized looking) that had more of a sheen on it.

Personally I prefer the "old" steel but in the thinner profile so I'm SOL....lol. I think somewhere in the house I have three of them, one from each period...

Great pattern user, enjoy.