Just received a KA-BAR USMC Fighting Knife

I just received a KA-BAR USMC Fighting Knife. While it's a simple enough knife, it really is a beautiful. Very clean/sharp forging. Great finish. Nice leather handle.

Hard to beat for just under seventy bucks. Well done, KA-BAR.

50712409983_230b812eca_b.jpg

Last edited:
Google is not so great for posting pics here as it doesn't seem to play well with the forum software. Imgur and other simple free host sites seem more compatible.

I just received a KA-BAR USMC Fighting Knife. While it's a simple enough knife, it really is a beautiful. Very clean/sharp forging. Great finish. Nice leather handle.

Is the top of the clip portion of the blade sharpened? I bought one several years ago to take on a moose hunting trip in Canada where my buddy and I would be pretty far from civilization. It came with the top of the tip sharpened. I left it that way but was worried I'd forget and end up cutting myself somehow.

When I was a teenager, I cut myself badly with a kitchen "freezer knife" that had a smooth edge on one side of the blade and a serrated edge on the other side. That made me leery of double-edged blades.

Is the sharpened clip intended for offensive/defensive use, or does it have other more practical uses?

I now have other knives that can better serve as a big back country knife, so the Olean-made KA-BAR sits in the knife drawer. It sure is an impressive knife for the money and I'm sure it made a heck of a "plan B" weapon for the combat soldier who carried one.

BTW - I purchased mine in the fall of 1999. It is possible the swedge had a semi-sharpened edge and I improved it... I'm not sure; that was more than 21 years ago.

Back