Just who the hell do I think I am anyway?

I guess the subject about says it all...

I just got a new knife, and after the initial
awe wore off, I started finding "flaws". Now, finding a few imperfections is normal, but I found myself getting pissed that someone would have the nerve to turn out a knife that wasn't just perfect for me!
The dang clip isn't reversible, it's fastened together wrong, the blades the wrong shape, and to top it all off, it's half serrated!

Needless to say I got a grip on myself and came to my senses, which led me to ask myself "just who the hell do I think I am anyway".

Anyone else ever find themselves doing this?
It's ridiculous of course, and I don't think it's ever happened to me before, but I just don't know what came over me.

Human beings are so irrational at times
biggrin.gif

------------------
mikemck@austin.rr.com

I do the same thing.
Worse, I have examined the expensive work of very talented and dedicated artisans, and with enough time, the "flaws" emerge.
I think it has to do with the human male condition, the pursuit of excellence and perfection, and, on the good side, it leads to constant improvement.

Incidentally, I think the makers themselves have the same experience.
I know that when I look at my own work, in whatever form, it does not stand the test of time very well.
Funny how good it looked when I did it and how bad it looks three years later.
Flaws and bad design everywhere.
smile.gif

------------------
Luke 22:36, John 18:6-11, Freedom
If one takes care of the means, the end will take care of itself.

We wonder about you all the time Mike
biggrin.gif

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

You just described the Knife Knut Syndrome! It's effects an be seen all over this forum, so don't feel so bad.
Our ideas and needs are constantly changing. Something that was an asset can quickly turn into a flaw when we're not looking. The guy, or gal, who can come up with a knife that changes with us stands a chance to make some serious money!
wink.gif
Of course, we would only need one knife then and that might take all the fun out of it
frown.gif
Oh well, off in search of perfection, I hope I never find it!

PS. Tommy Lee got tired of Pamela Anderson, so anything's possible!

On the other hand haven't you ever bought a knife and thought Wow, this is far better than what I paid for it. The LCC comes to mind. Alot of folks on the forum have expressed what a value/bargain they felt that knife is. I myself feel I got alot of value for the money, even though I can find some things I would personally change. Also, I have gotten knives and actually found that after using them, I like them even better than I did at first. I have also found that on production knives, quality does vary from piece to piece and as for me, my tastes change over the years (and sometime months).

The Perfect Knife always seems to loose some of its Perfectness with time. Same with the Perfect women, Perfect car, Perfect Camera, etc.

An artist last work should be his Best Work. But Perfection is an illusion.

I have never regreted a purchase even when I started noticing the imperfections. These knives represent the history of my growing knowledge and appreciation for good work. The is no Perfect knife for all things. There is only the Search for Perfection.
smile.gif

Paracelsus, wondering around unsupervised

Finding the flaws in custom knives is our job, nay it is our duty. There are no perfect knives, ask any maker worth their salt. Part of our education is finding those flaws, of course in some cases you may need a microscope to find them, but find them we must.

I was a Fashion Photographer for many years, and I'd be willing to bet I've seen as many beautiful women up close and personal as anyone here. My job was to think with my big head (not the little one) and find the flaws in these incredable looking humans and find any minor imperfection that might have to be corrected by, ligthing, camera angle or retouching. It was a dirty job, but someone had to do it.
wink.gif

Now this is our job, in our search for that unreachable goal of finding the perfect knife.

mikemck, I have the perfect cure! Buy another one and then another and so on. I do that, works fine for me
wink.gif

Um ... why didn't you notice it was half serrated before you bought it?
confused.gif

------------------
-Cougar Allen :{)
--------------------------------------
This post is not merely the author's opinions; it is the trrrrrruth. This post is intended to cause dissension and unrest and upset people, and ultimately drive them mad. Please do not misinterpret my intentions in posting this.

Cougar- Exactly....

But seriously, this eye for detail, the discernment of the finest differences can be harnessed to create an ever better knife, even a better world.

I propose a toast...

To the details.

------------------
Thank you,
Marion David Poff aka Eye mdpoff@hotmail.com

My website, guided links, talonite/cobalt alloy info, etc....
http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff

>>--->Bill Siegle Custom Knives<---<<
-http://www.geocities.com/siegleknives-

"To wait for luck is the same as waiting for death." -Japanese Proverb

"Place you clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark." -Lazarus Long

Let me guess was it the Benchmade 660?

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cougar Allen:
Um ... why didn't you notice it was half serrated before you bought it?
confused.gif

</font>

Oh, I knew it was half serrated when I ordered it..I usually prefer them that way. For some reason, when I finally got the knife it was just totally wrong, and it of course wasn't my fault it wasn't right. No, the mfg was too blame for turning out this piece of crap! I was almost ready to write a nasty email to offer my advice on what should have been done.
I'm sure I'll swing back the other way like a cheap pendulum, and I'll be content with it once again.

The knife I'm speaking of is the Large Spyderco Wegner, which I fell in love with the first time I saw it. It just looked like the perfect knife for me. And, the Wegner Jr. is the perfect knife, as I carry it daily in my breat pocket.

On a better note, my SERE 2000 is still perfect
biggrin.gif

------------------
mikemck@austin.rr.com

Back