1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

JW Foxy Folly Review - Lots of Photos - Beware!

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by tedwca, Aug 28, 2007.

1. tedwca

tedwca

Dec 10, 2005
    I finally got a chance to take some pics of my new JW Foxy Folly. A quick review of the specs. It's 18.5" OAL and 23.9 oz. It is a hidden tang design and seems very solid. The new handle is super comfortable and affords a variety of grips. Spiral made a comment once about khukuris without full length tangs feeling better in the hand and now I really understand that comment. I have other khukuris with traditional handles, but this one feels just right. It definitely has a weapon feel to it instead of a chopper. I'm sure it would chop fine, but it is very fast and lively in the hand. I'm sure this is how the FF was supposed to be from the start.

Here's the pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tedwca

tedwca

Dec 10, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. xgoldy

xgoldy Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 28, 2006
    thats a very nice looking knife! i like that new handle and sheath design a lot!

4. Magnum22

Magnum22

Jul 6, 2006
    sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Great pics as always, Ted.

To my eye, although it looks comfortable, this new handle is not as aesthetically pleasing as the traditional one. Seems too out of proportion with the blade. Even though I've got myself too far in debt to think about getting an FF anytime soon, I hope the previous style will still be available to those that prefer it.

6. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Great pics as always, Ted. I really like the shape of the handle. That's one of my favorite things about HI, they aren't afraid to throw "tradition" out the window in order to make a marketable product. Sure the mysterious handle rings and "eye of God" buttcap look great, and many khuk fanatics grow to love them. However, given the choice, what western khuk newbie would NOT prefer that handle shape?

Looks like a winner to me;)

7. Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Jul 30, 2004
    Beautiful and looks like it would be comfortable in the hand... :confused: It looks less strongly built than a traditional one, but I'm sure that's an illusion.

Mike

8. Andros

Andros

Apr 20, 2005
    It surely looks nice! I like the handle-to-blade ratio. I believe this handle should offer a very positive purchase. Thank you for those beautiful pictures. Now, I really have to get myself one of those knives:D.

9. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great pictures thank you, Ted

10. ajwatson

ajwatson

Feb 13, 2005
    I am glad to see Tedwac review on the FF I recieved mine from Yangdu but was hesitent to say anything since I designed it for her and the kamies and I didn't want to sound like I was bragging. The kamies did a outstanding job of reproducing this knife set from the prototype sent them. The sharkies did a outstanding job on the case. Its so much easer for them to make something when they have an example in hand.
    The idea behind this style was to create a knife set which most people are familar with. Its basicly a modified boy scout hatchet handle. The knife is a modified sarge knife with the same handle as the FF this was done to make it a set. riges were added to the top of the sarge knife to help keep the thumb from slipping and a finger grove at the back of the blade.
    There are a lot of people who are not familiar with the kukri and when they handle one the first thing they comment on is the handle and how unconfortable it is. It is hoped that this combination of kukri and western handle will open new sales for HI and the kamies. after all they are the ones we respect and admire and help support.
    Jim W

11. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    Jim, that knife set turned out great! You did a great job designing it. And HI did good making it. Thanks for doing this for us. I hope they send more. Would love to get one like this some day.

Ted, thanks for the pics. They sure are lovely. Now thats a knife!! :D

Heber

12. tedwca

tedwca

Dec 10, 2005
    Hi Jim, I didn't know you designed it. You did a great job. I meant to get some close ups of the little utility knife, but forgot as summer has finally remembered that it's supposed to be hot. It's over 100 degrees here and will be for the next week or so.

13. Magnum22

Magnum22

Jul 6, 2006
    i'm just a bit curious. how's the tang secured? it looks like the burned-in method in the walk through from the him imp website since there's nothing on the pommel. is this the case?