K-2 Disaster

As if the mountain didn't have a rough enough reputation, they couldn't show it more respect than that? I think the problem is that it's gotten to be a very small world, and people who've done well locally can easily afford the trip to the classic and dangerous sites, where their experience does not transfer well.

How many times do we hear about some guy out for a stroll down a forest trail who brings no extra clothes, no food or water, no map or compass. These climbers are doing the same thing, totally failing to understand the nature of the challenge they've set themselves.

A man's got to know his limitations.

Many guide and outiftting companies are marketing to the casual or inexperienced climber in order to keep making a living. Then, they get themselves and their clients killed.

Plus, the proliferation of documentaries and reality shows on television is getting many people bitten by the climbing bug, and they go in oder to say "been there, done that." But they aren't around anymore to say "been there, done that."

I just finished reading "Into Thin Air". The current mindset among monied adventurers seems to be that dollars and ego supplant experience and good judgement.

Just finished "Into This Air" myself. Read it on vacation. Should be required reading for all outdoorsmen. "You never can tell when Mr. Murphy might step up behind you and tap you on the shoulder." *

* Quote from Troy, my SCUBA diving instructor, in 1973.

Last edited:
Here I thought this was going to be a Dozier thread..... ;)

Here I thought this was going to be a Dozier thread..... ;)

With that reputation, I just couldn't imagine what a K-2 disaster involving a Dozier could entail. I had to click. Mountain climbing? I thought it was something important.:D

Outside Magazine is obsessed with Everest. There must be an article in it every month making climbing it a rite of passage. I hate that magazine, it is Aberchrombie and Fitch meet the outdoors with yuppie adventures in high end sometimes dangerous places. Surfing in the Maldives, rafting in Peru and climbing top ten mountains. Just lay down the money, to some suspect outfitters and loose your life because of ego. At some of the base camps they are lined up like Disney World to start the climb up. I has become a magnet for extreme adventure addicts to prove their macho. I read a story a few months ago about some young girl in her early teens who had just climbed Everest and at least 5 other major peaks, she was the youngest ever to have done so. Was off to South America to do some other mountain next.

Back