K.O.T.Y.

Jody744

Gold Member
96CC3F03-A99D-458B-BCDC-4C01CE8CA48E.jpeg In your opinion, whether you bought it or not, what is your knife of the year? It’s been tough without knife shows. I have had some great scores this year but the standout is my Albers Cutlery Co knife! Superb fit and finish, and a very competitive price considering the quality and materials!

I believe my top knives (I can't pick just one) of the year 2020, are a August Buck Web Special 110, with brass bolsters and liners, real Ebony covers, and S30V blade, which I received as a gift.
Also received as a gift in 2020 a GEC 852211 Harness Jack in stag, a vintage Schrade Old timer USA 858, and a vintage Schrade Old Timer USA 7OT with a 1095 blade.

I am probably mistaken, but I think the "best buys" of 2020 are a Marbles MR431 D2 Sowbelly Stockman, and a Rough Ryder RR1740 large (4 3/8 inch closed) "Classic Carbon" stockman.
Of the knives I bought in 2020, I think these two have been carried the most.
My current carry, however, is the 7OT and 858. :)

View attachment 1457286

I had to think about this for awhile as there are a couple others that come close. Going through my list of knives purchased I realized that I only bought half as many knives this year as last year.

If I have to pick just one I'll go with this Lakota Teal in Malachite and Mother of Pearl for my 2020 K.O.T.Y.

IMG_5310.JPG IMG_5312.JPG IMG_5313.JPG

yJBEksk.jpg

SFztalb.jpg

So far this Albers Cut Co is the finest pocket knife I have bought in 2020, it is amazingly well constructed and finished. It would be very hard to top this one...

My pocket knife of the year would have to be this Buck 305 companion.
I found myself loving this knife more than I ever expected, and loving a much smaller knife than I ever imagined I would. Certainly not as an only pocket knife as this has been many times.

My belt knife of the year would have to be this Western 628.

I've only had it a month and a half or so and have carried the GEC h20 more this year, but that was my belt knife of last year and this 628 has clicked with me just as much.

Last edited:
I’ve got a candidate arriving today or tomorrow but like in baseball one month may allow you to contend for rookie of the year but it doesn’t give you enough time to be the MVP. Using that theory also eliminates two other recent acquisitions, the GEC 74 in stag and the 2020 Bladeforums Viper. They were both highly anticipated knives that exceeded expectations but haven’t had enough pocket time to displace this years K.O.T.Y.
This one kind of snuck up on me. It’s a pattern I found to be highly attractive but avoided because of the wharncliffe blade which I had an aversion to. It was a gift from Darren @waverave and as an edc it has done everything I need and then some. This years K.O.T.Y. has won because it works and has worked all year. The Rough Ryder Work Knife.437FEE1E-F08B-447B-B261-E19A7DC0BA11.jpeg 264D4C1E-2871-4A75-85E3-CE2069E6BB96.jpeg

I would have to say my knife of the year would be a toss up between 2 - early 1970's Cases (18 & a 44), great condition with full blades. I was curious if the hype (and cost) was justified for the 70's Case's and learned firsthand it most definitely is. These knives are as close to perfect as I've ever owned - I mean, not a single defect to be found on either - these are lowly delrin, but fit and finish is spectacular. Hafting is very much unlike modern era Case's - very thin and pleasingly shaped bolsters, you can't beat the swedge grinds of the old Case's, and lastly, snap on ALL blades is above average. I'd say the hype is justified ...

BA0BdJO.jpg

Hi Misplaced Hillbilly - nice pictures! What is the third knife? I don’t recognize it.
Its a Kershaw culpepper jack, I rounded the bolsters a bit and used a dremel to flute the bolsters.
bgBlACi.jpg

Actually a pretty dang good knife especially for the price, smooth action, only real drawback it had was its a little thick behind the edge. But came shaving sharp.

Back