K5 vs. Hays Tomahawk

I've been on the waiting list for a K5 hammer poll for a while. While waiting, I came accross info on Hays Tomahawks. They make a nice hammer poll that looks really similar to the K5 design.

Has anybody had a chance to compare or handle the Hays hawks?

http://www.haysknivesmontana.com/tomahawks.html

I have a Next Gen and a G41 Warrior from Hays. The handles are very comfortable and highly grippy. They start as a round stock and have flats milled onto the sides. They are certainly lighter than the K5 hawks - I have both the spike and poll k5. The steel on the Hays hawks I have are O1 tool steel and nicely tempered. The heads of the Hays and K5 are very different - K5 is much more of a heavy breacher while the Hays hawks are cut/slash/finesse blades.

Didn't have much luck dealing with mr. Hays, bought my hawks for better prices here on BF. Unfortunately not a lot of tactical makers are making poll hawks. Bear Mountain has nice ones with wood handles.

Good luck on your search!

I have a Next Gen and a G41 Warrior from Hays. The handles are very comfortable and highly grippy. They start as a round stock and have flats milled onto the sides. They are certainly lighter than the K5 hawks - I have both the spike and poll k5. The steel on the Hays hawks I have are O1 tool steel and nicely tempered. The heads of the Hays and K5 are very different - K5 is much more of a heavy breacher while the Hays hawks are cut/slash/finesse blades.

Didn't have much luck dealing with mr. Hays, bought my hawks for better prices here on BF. Unfortunately not a lot of tactical makers are making poll hawks. Bear Mountain has nice ones with wood handles.

Good luck on your search!

How thick is the tang on the Nex Gen?
Did it come with a sheath?

How thick is the tang on the Nex Gen?
Did it come with a sheath?

I have both the hays hawk and K5 hammer poll. AS for thickness it looks like the Hays is about 1/4 inch thick not nearly as thick as the K5. Mine came very sharp no utility edge there. It also came with a little sheath that covers the blade good but wouldn't hold the hawk on your belt securly.

If you are looking for the extreme destroy everything hawk wait for the K5. You wont be dissapointed. If you are looking for a nice looking well designed camp hawk look around and find a hays.

Good luck
forrest

I decided to cancel my K5 order and ordered a Hays Montana Hunter (14" model). I found Vic Hays to be very easy to work with. He quickly responded to my email questions. He gave me a full run down on his inventory and lead time for orders. He even emailed just to let me know the 'hawk shipped. Great customer service.

http://www.haysknivesmontana.com/monthunter.html

I received my Hays Montana Hunter Hawk (14" model) and it is the cat's meow: superb craftsmanship combined with good materials and GREAT balance. The only thing it is lacking is a good sheath (It does come with one and I believe we called this material 'leatherette' back in the 70's). I'm sending it to Survival Sheath for a nice kydex belt sheath. The handle is Delrin and the knurling and machine marks make give your hand great purchase. I couldn't be happier:

DSC05649.jpg

DSC05651.jpg

DSC05655.jpg

DSC05656.jpg

DSC05652.jpg

I've got a Next Generation Spike from Hays, and I'm thrilled to death with it. Like you said....the haft has great purchase, it's well balanced, lightweight in the hand...........a very well made hawk.

Now that I see closeups of your Montana Hunter Hawk, it sure is nice!!! :thumbup:

Thanks for sharin' the pics with us.

Howdy all,

This is my first post on Blade Forum. Nice site you've got here. Very informative.

I've spent the last few hours scouring your archives for information about tomahawks. I'm in the market for one. (OK, OK, I've got tomahawk fever. ;) )

I've found a few threads so far, even though nothing yet on the 'hawk I came to research: SOG Fusion Tactical. But I'll keep looking.

But to the point of this post. Thanks to this thread, and especially GSonnen's post with pics, I've become very interested in the Hays Montana Hunter 14". I've been to the Hays web site, but find that the hunter is out of stock. I've sent them a mail inquiring about time of availability.

Could any one tell me about how much that 14" model costs?

Also, GSonnen, could you (or others) offer more information on that sheath that you're ordering (or having made) from Survival Sheaths? Any links? {Added by edit: actually, I found their page, but I notice they don't list Hays Montana Hunter as an option for tomahawk sheath. Are they willing to custom make one for it?)

Thanks,

Nem

PS: I've also scoured the archives for how to add an avatar to my user. I see some have them, but can't find anything in the FAQ or user control panel about how to do it. Any tips?

to get an avatar go to the "upgrade your forums experience" at the top of the page.

as for sheaths for this hawk or any for that matter you usually have to send them your hawk to have it molded unless the maker owns his own model for a pattern.

there is a couple of threads running around this forum about the sog fusion tomahawk and how it broke:( so i would take that into consideration. there is a search feature on the right hand side of the screen for this forum to help find info.

hope this helps

Can anyone tell me the weight of:

1) Hays Montana Hunter 14"

2) K5 Utility Hawk-Hammer Poll

(I don't find their weights specified on their respective web pages, and as a backpacker, weight is important to me.)

Also, would someone kindly define "hammer poll"? I basically understand the "hammer" part, but I'm not sure what "poll" is.

And lastly, I see and read the differences between K5 Utility Hammer Poll and K5 Tactical Hammer Poll. (For example, the latter has sharpened beard, the former does not.)

But I'm not educated enough (yet) about hawks to know the practical differences between them.

If you were looking for a good camp hawk that can also serve as a weapon, what would be the pros and cons of those two (K5) hawks?

Thanks.

Nem

Could any one tell me about how much that 14" model costs?

Also, GSonnen, could you (or others) offer more information on that sheath that you're ordering (or having made) from Survival Sheaths? Any links? {Added by edit: actually, I found their page, but I notice they don't list Hays Montana Hunter as an option for tomahawk sheath. Are they willing to custom make one for it?)

I bought my Hays in Janurary and it cost around $150 + shipping (I don't remember the exact amount).

This 'hawk is my favorite camp tool. I've taken it deep woods camping twice so far. It digs, chops, hammers. The head is still rock solid and the finish is holding up good.

The sheath made by Robert at Survival Sheath Systems is a 'must have' if you buy the Hays. I had to send the hawk to Robert, but he had it back to me really fast. Robert even did a follow-up with me to see how I like the sheath.

I've added a few 'post-use' pics with the sheath and a wrist lanyard I made. For fellow paracord nerds, its a king cobra braid, black over neon-green. I used the neon, so it's easier to find if it's laying on the ground.

DSC05926.jpg

DSC05928.jpg

DSC05927.jpg

that looks like one nice setup:cool:

what are your opinions on this hawk for combatives? i've been studying dwight's book and the cold steel dvds and am looking to get a new hammer poll. can't decide if i want a modern hawk or a traditional wood handle. my full tang rmj eagle talon doesn't have the lively feel of my wood handled atc rogers ranger. does this hawk feel fast in the hand compared to wood handle designs?

that looks like one nice setup:cool:

what are your opinions on this hawk for combatives? i've been studying dwight's book and the cold steel dvds and am looking to get a new hammer poll. can't decide if i want a modern hawk or a traditional wood handle. my full tang rmj eagle talon doesn't have the lively feel of my wood handled atc rogers ranger. does this hawk feel fast in the hand compared to wood handle designs?

Here's a link to other Hays designs:

http://www.haysknivesmontana.com/tomahawks.html

I don't really have a perspective on the defensive application of this (or any) tomahawk. I purely use my hawks at tools. As far as balance: The Hays balances very similarly to a wood handled hawk.

I've added a few 'post-use' pics with the sheath ...
<Gasp>

Wow. Mikey likes it!

Mikey likes it a LOT.

Please, could you offer more about the design of the sheath and how you use it? Belt? Fasten to packs? How are the holes in the under-blade portion of the sheath used?

...and a wrist lanyard I made...paracord nerds, its a king cobra braid, black over neon-green. I used the neon, so it's easier to find if it's laying on the ground
Very cool.

OK, I'm new to "paracord", but you've got my interest.

Any simple instructions (on a web page somewhere, maybe) for how to make one of those?

Nem

<Gasp>

Wow. Mikey likes it!

Mikey likes it a LOT.

Please, could you offer more about the design of the sheath and how you use it? Belt? Fasten to packs? How are the holes in the under-blade portion of the sheath used?

Very cool.

OK, I'm new to "paracord", but you've got my interest.

Any simple instructions (on a web page somewhere, maybe) for how to make one of those?

Nem

The sheath is designed to be used any number of ways: You can lash it to a pack or mount a tec-lok and let it ride your belt. I usually just keep it in my pack.

Paracord is Military 550 cord or Parachute cord. You can buy it at most army surplus shops. Tying paracord braids is a pretty common hobby in the knife community. Here's a link to some common knots: http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

As far as weight: I don't own a scale, so I can't give you a specific weight. It feels no heavier than my wood handled tomahawks. Very lite and easy to pack.

My trigger pull scale puts mine at about 20-21 oz. The ballance point is app. 4.5 inch down the handle from the head.

This is a very light and quick hawk compaired to the CS Plainsman or Rifleman.

I am interested in buying a montana hunter 14". Besides doing camp chores can the montana hunter be thrown or is it just intended to be a camp utility tool? Thanks.

Back