Ka-bar 1221 (Next-Gen, Serrated model) Review

Hey peoples.

I'd read recently that Ka-bar is discontinuing the Next-Gen series (I read this in the Next-Gen Vs D2 thread, I believe)..sad to hear that. Great knife. I sorely miss mine. It did everything and anything I wanted or expected of it. It held up & I am by no means easy on my knives or tools. The
steel was Aus-6A (yeah, I know, it's nothing to write home about--but it's serviceable), but it has a considerably stronger tang & a more suitable
guard as well as a more attractive build. I put mine through what I refer to as my "Hell tests"..and..so far only it and my Ka-bar Mule have successfully survived out of..oh..twenty knives.

The knife performed the following effectively:

Battoned through many blocks of seasoned oak & pine (blocks freshly split from logs)..
Felled several trees..
Sliced through several chickens, large chunks of beef, etc..
Dug several holes..
Carved wood, stakes, poles (& hammered some of them)..
Hammered nails & spikes..
Pruned thick & thin limbs..
Cleanly sliced cloth..
Poked & drilled holes..
Cut several types of rope & cord..
Cut through aluminum..

I rarely needed to put the edge to any honing device, & instead kept the edge hair-popping sharp
simply by stropping on my leather boots. Overall, I'd rate the knife a 7 out of 10. (Hated the sheath,
btw.) (Also, the lanyard hole on the pommel, while useful, was more of a liability, atleast for hammering
as if it caught it had a tendency to snap the tang off). The knife's balance & control was excellent,
although, a finger-choil would have been nice, & normal serrations as well. There is only one fixed-blade,
that I have experience with (although, I'll not name it) that I hold in higher regard. I've had no experience
with the D2 version, but as far as I can tell for an all-around (bush-craft, survival, military, etc) it's hardness
would prove to be more a pain in the hiney (diamond honers are expensive & don't tend to last long!) while
the Nex-Gen (Aus-6A) can be more readily & easily sharpened. Plus, the 1221 held up very well to being
thrown (I've practiced for years & rarely miss so it didn't hit rocks lol), the steel held up well to the energy
& impacts & I highly doubt the D2 would do the same (too hard).

Ah, well, if Ka-bar discontinues the Next-Gen they do. I'd like to know though. I lost my 1221. Can't afford
to replace it right now. Oh well. Ka-bar is a fine company and they will do well with whatever products they
offer. Oh, also, a special thank you to Mr.Tsujimoto, whom helped me to choose the 1221 & the Ka-bar mule!
I've never regretted getting the Mule--finest, toughest folding knife I ever had or will ever have! :D

Bored2Deth

Yeah, the Next Gens are going away. They just didn't take off like they should have. Not sure why. I had one, and gifted it to an 11B buddie of mine, that got deployed. He's still got it, and still uses it, says it works great. :D

The American Legend (1200 series) are some of the best selling knives in the Kabar lineup, and will always be there. I think alot of guys were turned off by the stainless steel, and Kraton grip. It had that Kabar look, but not the feel.

For reference, this is the knife.

1221.jpg

Solid performer, it will be missed.

Moose

That's funny, I had no problem with stainless, but did not consider it thinking it was made in China.:confused:

It wasn't made in China, Made in USA. But some folks didn't like the stainless formula. :D

Moose

It's a hell of a knife. Overall, it's a better handle design for how the knife gets used most of the time.

Does anyone have a Ka-Bar Next Generation model 01-1221 nk (with a bead blasted finish) for sale?

Serious buyer looking for a Mint condition. please contact me if you can help. Thank you for your time.

Jeff

Welcome. You really should read the site's rules that you agreed to abide by when you joined. :thumbup:

This thread is 3 years old, I'm sure op has a good idea about his blade.

I know the 1221 as well as i know my own arm, a very nice design. Accurate at 22-25ft, thrown. Took and held a razor edge, extremely tough. Would love one in D2 with a broader, thicker blade and stronger point, with flat-tooth serrations, and a better pommel attatchment.

I know the 1221 as well as i know my own arm, a very nice design. Accurate at 22-25ft, thrown. Took and held a razor edge, extremely tough. Would love one in D2 with a broader, thicker blade and stronger point, with flat-tooth serrations, and a better pommel attatchment.

Back