Ka-Bar Black Tanto (1245) is it full tang?

Some marketing rhetoric copied and pasted...

The unique Tanto shaped full tang 8" blade is hollow ground and sharpened to a fine cutting edge with buff polished edges excellent slashing and slicing abilities. This knife is for the serious knife enthusiast

So, it's not full tang, yes?
If I'm not mistaken the 5th and 6th words are indeed "full tang"....

The unique Tanto shaped full tang 8" blade is hollow ground and sharpened to a fine cutting edge with buff polished edges excellent slashing and slicing abilities. This knife is for the serious knife enthusiast

Yes its full tang just not an exposed tang. The metal end cap has a small pin thru it. That pin passes thru the rear of your full tang. Welcome to the forum J jog221

Other peoples say this is rat tail not full tang and its shitty, i dont know what think about it... :(

Other peoples say this is rat tail not full tang and its shitty, i dont know what think about it... :(
Other people dont know what the hell they are talking about. I guess the USMC Has liked using Shitty knives for the past 70 years!!!!

Not my opinion, im knife newbie and this manufacturer sounds best for me, but other peoples say this is nad, rat tail, easy broke, get Cold Steel recon and bla bla bla... All Kabars have full tang?

It’s a full tang in the sense the tang runs all the way through to the butt of the knife.

Here’s an old Kabar without the leather washer handle. This handle is quite strong if not the absolute strongest. It is technically a full tang but also a stick tang.
WmwTNuT.jpg

This is a rat tail tang, which will have poor strength. So to call a kabar’s tang a rat tail is either a misunderstanding or a wild exaggeration.
rmk_1_600.jpg

This is what they were getting at though. This is a Becker BK2. It is not only full tang but has a full width tang where when the handles are screwed on you can still see the steel between the handles.

004.JPG

You can see it in this pic.
maxresdefault.jpg

Hope that helps you.

It’s a full tang in the sense the tang runs all the way through to the butt of the knife.

Here’s an old Kabar without the leather washer handle. This handle is quite strong if not the absolute strongest. It is technically a full tang but also a stick tang.
WmwTNuT.jpg

This is a rat tail tang, which will have poor strength. So to call a kabar’s tang a rat tail is either a misunderstanding or a wild exaggeration.
rmk_1_600.jpg

This is what they were getting at though. This is a Becker BK2. It is not only full tang but has a full width tang where when the handles are screwed on you can still see the steel between the handles.

004.JPG

You can see it in this pic.
maxresdefault.jpg

Hope that helps you.

Probably the best explanation I've seen for the common fixed blade tangs, with only a 3/4 tang from mora missing in your description (that I can think of). Well done sir.

And still on the subject of tangs the KaBar Jarosz line all have a solid Tangs except for the necker
IMG_4223.JPG IMG_4224.JPG

Thanks for all answers, especially @Lapdog I want to ask about one more Ka-Bar, Fighter 1271. Maybe somebody own this knife, why peoples says sheath is bad? Skin,Condura.

Great post Lapedog. I almost didn’t open this post because I’m tired of always being the only one who gets it.

I always thought of a rat tail tang. Like an file tang. Just a point stuck into a handle. But now I see rat tail can be full length too.

OP (original poster). I have no experience with the 1271 or it’s sheath. On the one hand I trust KaBar to make good quality knives and sheaths. So buy with confidence.

On the other hand. If you want the true historical KaBar experience buy an original style fighter with a leather or plastic sheath. Or better yet get both sheaths. If you like the Kraton handle the 1213 is an awesome knife with the hard plastic sheath. Similar to the 1245 you asked about without the tanto point or serrations.

If you want a chopper with a full length and full width tang. Something you can aggressively baton with. Definitely look at KaBar’s Becker line.

Last edited:
Hello, this knife is full tang?
The ka-bar tanto is indeed full tang.
But you want to be looking for a knife
with a full length exposed tang construction.
All tangs are prone to being over stressed and eventual fractures and the likes
if its subjected to pounding upon dense materials big time.
A tip heavy blade had better be just as robust along its tang.
Luckily, there are kabar products
with exposed tangs.
Amongst them are ek knives...
Perhaps you might want to consider a knife
along these lines...

Back