KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

I've always wanted to check the talus slope on the Illinois River, but never have. I've always found my arrowheads in the plowed fields along the river.

Yes, for sure. Plowed fields are great, particularly after a rain. :thumbup:

The first day I walked the fields here I found a gaming stone. There was a large population of Mississippian Indians here (burial mounds about 4 miles away). I suspect there are many goodies to be found..

The first day I walked the fields here I found a gaming stone. There was a large population of Mississippian Indians here (burial mounds about 4 miles away). I suspect there are many goodies to be found..
I also found a gaming stone. Most of my finds have been within a few miles of my house, along the creeks.

015.png

First head I found on the left. Son's first, the very first found between us, on the right:

014.png

Collection:

002.png

I have several others, but mostly pieces.

Man that's some nice points Dubz. I've got nothing compared to that.

Thanks tw. The most I found in one day was I think 8, all at the same place. Drove by this spot several times, and one day decided to stop. Big pay off. I think the most I found in the same field was around 30+. Obviously a camp site. Millions of flint chips. I know what to look for more locally, than when we went to the river. As a matter of fact, the spot I know of along the Illinois, I was told about from a neighbor of mine. He worked for Panhandle, and he/they discovered it while digging for pipeline.

Finally got a whisker bicuit and made a sling bow today. These things are fun. Need to make a fishing rig for it now.

Finally got a whisker bicuit and made a sling bow today. These things are fun. Need to make a fishing rig for it now.
What, no photos?

I just watched the first Resident Evil movie... Guess what knives the sanitation team carries when entering the Hive?

re kabar.jpg

Right, they're THAT awesome.

KA-BAR better start making more phat bobs. My inbox has been ringing off the hook with people asking about 'em.

If you guys want to win this cool combo, you'd better start cooking. Contest will end in a couple of weeks.

P1030337.jpg

Couldn't bring myself to junk up Toooj's awesome Q&A thread with this but still couldn't NOT post it:

Oil the handle and then wax it and polish the handle by rotating it in only one direction.

And if you do this with your left hand, it'll seem like a stranger is doing it :D

chat thread resurrection. can this get a sticky?

I used the Hell out of my Cutlass this weekend. Bought an eighth cord of pecan Friday and have had firepit fires everynight, using kindling made with the Cutlass. Great knife. Much like my golf clubs, you really want to find the sweet spot. Unlike my golf clubs, though, I can find the sweet spot on the Cutlass once in a while :D

ETA I also got the stove and Dozier folder from Guyon's contest yesterday. Both are totally sweet. Thanks to the big G and KA-BAR for the new toys. Not sure when I'll get pics up... that's my fourth new KA-BAR in the last two weeks and I'm way behind in my photo'in and postin'. Too busy playin'!

Last edited:
ETA I also got the stove and Dozier folder from Guyon's contest yesterday. Both are totally sweet. Thanks to the big G and KA-BAR for the new toys. Not sure when I'll get pics up... that's my fourth new KA-BAR in the last two weeks and I'm way behind in my photo'in and postin'. Too busy playin'!

Agreed!

Can't wait to see the review of the Cutlass. Its one of these machete like objects that I think I might actually end up owning.

Also, I was going to go camping this weekend to test out my new War Sword, and the KaBar USMC that moose sent me (THANKS MOOSE!!). That didn't end up happening though :(. The weather decided to play mean tricks on us ... the temps dropped like 30-40 degrees in one day, and then we got 3 days of rain down here, and snow up in the mountains. I'm under equipped for winter camping, so we didn't try it.

Heres to hoping next week works out :).

Upgraded my chopping block for the weekend's preps for colder weather.

photobucket-3268-1318198842522.jpg

I also found a gaming stone. Most of my finds have been within a few miles of my house, along the creeks.

015.png

First head I found on the left. Son's first, the very first found between us, on the right:

014.png

Collection:

002.png

I have several others, but mostly pieces.

Very cool Dubz. Here's a few points and a ball...

P1030618.jpg

How is the Cutlass at batoning?

I know it rocks at chopping, but I have heard less feedback on the batoning ability of the blade, and also of how it handles actual knife like work.

And that chopping block is huge. Bring it back from your cabin?

Upgraded my chopping block for the weekend's preps for colder weather.

photobucket-3268-1318198842522.jpg

Hey BRL, if you've got a spare matching stump, how about dropping that in the mail for me? I need to upgrade also.

Back