KA-BAR MULE Folders

I really like the KA-BAR MULE folding knives, but I haven't found too much information related to people's experiences with the MULE lineup. What are your experiences with the MULEs and would you recommend them? Pictures would be appreciated!

They are awesome big folders. I basically felt mine was the knife I would take when i actually wanted a fixed blade but didn't want to wear one. In my opinion very well made depending on which line you buy, a great design, super cool looking. They are big and heavy. Great steel (depending on the line again), easy to sharpen, held it's edge.

Decided to let mine go because most of the time I would either pick something smaller and lighter, or I'd pick a fixed blade.

They are awesome big folders. I basically felt mine was the knife I would take when i actually wanted a fixed blade but didn't want to wear one. In my opinion very well made depending on which line you buy, a great design, super cool looking. They are big and heavy. Great steel (depending on the line again), easy to sharpen, held it's edge.

Decided to let mine go because most of the time I would either pick something smaller and lighter, or I'd pick a fixed blade.
Which lines are good quality? Thanks for the review! :)

I had one. It was the toxic green handled version that also comes in black. Its a large handle heavy folder. Could’ve had a longer blade to match the handle. Opening and closing was very clunky. Very thick behind the edge. Good pocket clip. Overall it wasn’t for me.

Yeah Gene it looks like they are all made in taiwan.
Nooooooo!! I would love a USA-made folder that looked just like the MULE knives... USA-made knives generally have better quality over Taiwanese knives, in my opinion.

I do like me some dozier. For a lower end price point knife mine has turned out to be a lil work horse of a knife and more valuable than what I paid for it.

The 3050 series has the AUS 8 stainless steel, which I like better than the 420 that's in the 3060 series. They are also made in Taiwan, as opposed to the 3060 series which is made in China. I have had a lot of KA-BAR knives that were made in Taiwan and I am completely satisfied with them.

Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken. "Official KA-BAR" told me they don't consider Little Valley, N.Y. as the origin of their existence (as most old KA-BAR collectors do) since the Brown Brothers were only jobbers. Aren't they jobbers now since they have most of their products made by others??

A 3050 Mule has been my EDC knife for going on 8 years, got it used on ebay for 16 bucks plus 2 dollars shipping.

All things considered, it is the best knife i've ever owned. It has been through construction of all types, farming/ranching/gardening, camping/hunting/fishing/bushcraft, have gutted and skinned a couple of deer with it and lotsa fish, used in my shop constantly.

It still locks up ridiculously tight, holds an edge for a long time (only had to do a full sharpen twice in 8 years), and it's easy to sharpen/touch-up. Mule is a good name for this nice big handful of knife, it's a workhorse for sure.

The sheath finally gave up this last year, and the rubber inserts in the grip are worn down quite a bit from use, no biggie. I own a fair amount of nice knives, but I love this knife and will never sell it or stop carrying it at least a few days a week, it's been too good to me. I'll try and take a pic and post, it's got a fair amount of wear but it's good honest wear and I like it.

May be the best 18 bucks I ever spent. ;) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

A 3050 Mule has been my EDC knife for going on 8 years, got it used on ebay for 16 bucks plus 2 dollars shipping.

All things considered, it is the best knife i've ever owned. It has been through construction of all types, farming/ranching/gardening, camping/hunting/fishing/bushcraft, have gutted and skinned a couple of deer with it and lotsa fish, used in my shop constantly.

It still locks up ridiculously tight, holds an edge for a long time (only had to do a full sharpen twice in 8 years), and it's easy to sharpen/touch-up. Mule is a good name for this nice big handful of knife, it's a workhorse for sure.

The sheath finally gave up this last year, and the rubber inserts in the grip are worn down quite a bit from use, no biggie. I own a fair amount of nice knives, but I love this knife and will never sell it or stop carrying it at least a few days a week, it's been too good to me. I'll try and take a pic and post, it's got a fair amount of wear but it's good honest wear and I like it.

May be the best 18 bucks I ever spent. ;) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Thanks for your honest recommendation! The information that you shared was really helpful. :)

the tanto mule is this month's special over at kabar.com

Will check it out!!

I used to have some pics somewhere with my old black Mule, while taking the guts out of fish. It has weight in hand....and I love it. Over the years the rubber inserts have worn down, but mine is still rock solid with a few adjustments through time, and it takes a razor edge. It's a tough honest knife.

Nooooooo!! I would love a USA-made folder that looked just like the MULE knives... USA-made knives generally have better quality over Taiwanese knives, in my opinion.

It is not true. Taiwan makes amazing knives easily rivaling their US counterparts. For example the best Spydercos (imho) are made in Taiwan.

but mine is still rock solid with a few adjustments through time, and it takes a razor edge.
Hi I just picked up a very used Mule 3050 on eBay and I too like it a lot.

Can you give me an idea of what “adjustments” you’ve done to yours over the years? TIA.

Back