Ka Bar USMC vs SOG Seal Pup

I understand that the properties of AUS6 would be ideal for a Navy Seal, except I dont know of any real Navy Seal who would like it's edge retention. To me, a rusty knife that still cuts compared to a beautiful knife that has the edge retention like aus6 would be a lot more useful in combat. Btw, dont use knifetests.com as a reliable testing website.

Last edited:
In the military there are knife guys and there are non-knife guys. Just because a sailor has a SO rating doesn't mean he is a "knife" guy.

Whatever the team purchases will probably be used (read "free"). You will see these folks carrying everything from old school kabars and SOG SEAL Pups to Emerson folders as their main blade.

I have read comments by Vietnam SEALs that they still have their kabars. They just took care of their equipment and it is still servicable today.

Great thread! I was (still am?) debating if I should get a SOG Seal Pup Elite or the small size Ka-Bar for backpacking (wet conditions!!!) I have a full-size all-black Ka-Bar, but I kind of want to "collect" it and keep it in new condition!! (I REALLY have got to cut back on reading about knives!) I LOVE the Ka-Bar Kraton G grip and hand-guard, but am concerned about what a week in the rain would do to the edge, and anywhere else the finish wears off. The "hammer-end" of the handle seems like one of the great and very useful features of the Ka-Bar.

I'm new on here, so I'd welcome comments and suggestions! Thanks.

In the military there are knife guys and there are non-knife guys. Just because a sailor has a SO rating doesn't mean he is a "knife" guy.

Ain't that the sad truth!:confused:

I haven't got a Ka-Bar. Yet.
I have used the SOG Seal Pup for many years in the environment it was designed for.
The handle is grippy but tends towards small, especially with gloves.
The serrations are very effective on line however I wouldn't want them on a bush knife.
The corrosion resistance is high.
Edge retention? It's all relative, nothing like 1095 but far better than most issue dive knives! I'm not actually sure what mine is made of as it's almost a decade old.
Final story, I like the SOG but for the role you are looking at I'd prefer 1095.

The size would be the big difference, Which one suits your need best size wise. If you can handle them both, it should be a easy choice. I have both and they are both good servicable knives.

Have them both, KaBar wins hands down, but the SEAL Pup is a very good knife if you want something a bit lighter and shorter. You won't go wrong with either but I prefer the KaBar.

Ka-Bar USMC
Other excellent choices could be:
Rat Cutlery RC-4
Fallkniven S1
Cold Steel SRK

I have the Kabar USMC and a sog seal pup elite..i have used both of them extensively..i can tell you that i grab the seal pup when i go out more than the kabar..The aus8 on the seal pup holds its edge really really well, i cant complain about it one bit...but there is NOTHING wrong with the USMC Kabar..the Kabar is the best all around knife you can buy for price, quality and durability. But there are better knives out there...because the debate is between the seal pup and the kabar i would go with the kabar because i personally dont like serrations on my bush knives...but if the debate was between a seal pup elite and a kabar..i would rather the seal pup elite for sure.

One piece of advice, dont ever buy a knife just because the majority says its the best..buy a knife because YOU like it and it fits your needs.

Back