Ka-bar vs SOG Gov Tac

I've been lookin at getting a new knife, mostly for camping, bushcraft ect. I need a good, dependable, fairly large knife to take along with my smaller knife, and have settled on either the Ka-bar USMC (leather or Kraton?) or the SOG Gov Tac. Any suggestions as to which ones better, or another option to consider? The most I can spend is about 85 dollars (yeah I know I'm poor)

I haven't handled both knives, but I have owned quite a lot of knives and I use knives daily, so I can give my thought. I've have owned a Ka-bar Next Gen(440A, kratonhandle). When it comes to leather or kratonhandle. I find kraton a lot better for various reasons. One of them being that leather will absorb water unless it is epoxy impregnated or something. I don't know what the Ka-bar USMC handle is, but you can prolly look that up. My favorite handlematerial is Zytel, G-10 or micarta though.

In my experience, the steel, 1095(k-bar) vs AUS-8(SOG), they both have pros and cons. I find 1095 better when it comes to sharpening, edge holding and toughness, but the downside is that it will rust and corrode very easily compared to AUS-8. AUS-8 can be a little difficult to sharpen, but SOG's holds an edge quite well because of the cryo-treatment I think. There are tons of info about the steels.

Both the Gov-Tac and K-bar are similar in many ways, being that they both have hammer capabilities, large fingerguards and quite large in size(in my opinion). The Gov Tac do have a thicker bladestock as far as I know, and it will probably be better suited for battoning. It also has a stronger tip for prying. When it comes to ergonomics, I think they're similar, only that the ka-bar has a longer handle. But I do find the Ka-bar handle to be one of the best handledesigns I've touched.

All in all, I'm a huge SOG-fan, so I would have picked the Gov-Tac, but the Ka-bar is def. proven! So I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, but if you're in a moist environment and don't like to oil your blade all the time, the Gov-Tac might be a better choice.

That's my opinion, your mileage may vary:) Other options, if you really like 1095 steel, check out Ontario's Ranger-series, they're in your pricerange and I think they're a better buy than a Ka-bar usmc, tougher and more capable woodsplitters! If you're a huge SOG-fan like me, and have a posibility to save some money and wait, I would also looked at the SOG SEAL Team. More expensive though. Zytelhandle may not be as comfy, but it's impervious to the elements and tough as a bankvault!

Good luck!

I would go with the gov tac. I have had and still have a kabar and while it is a good knife it does not fit my hand well and the blade shape is not for me. I have not used a gov tac but held one and the ergos were better and I have had great experiences with Sog AUS8 steel especially the cryo treated AUS8 on my seal team elite. SOG did a great job on it. Both will do most any outdoor tasks fine just make sure it is comfortable to use for extended periods.

Yeah, the SOGs been the one I've kinda been leaning towards. The only thing I'm worried about is the tang; nobody seems to know whether its full or narrow. I know the Ka-bar isn't full tang, although my uncle had one for years and said he batoned just fine with it. I generally don't baton with a knife (I carry a hatchet/axe with me for that) but would like a knife that could split smaller logs in an emergency.

I'm sure the Gov-Tac's tang is similar to SOG's bowie-knives. So it's not a rat-tail tang or anything. Here is a picture I found on the forum: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735461&highlight=sog+bowie I'm pretty sure the Gov-Tac is similar to this because it has the same way of attachment etc. And if you wondered, this tang design is not weak. I have batoned with a Ka-Bar and used a Ka-Bar as a throwing-knife, it did not fail, and it has as less beefy tang than most SOG-knives.
So you can baton with a Gov-Tac with full confidence, remember, AUS-8 is tough!

Good luck:)

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either knife. I have the Gov-Tac and someting it offers that the Ka-Bar doesn't, is the finger choil and jimping so you can choke up on the blade for those more delicate cutting chores. On a personal note, I prefer the Kraton over the stacked leather. I wish SOG made a Gov-Tac with a handle like the Tech Bowie :).

I have an older Government which the Gov Tac is bassed off. Like that knife and think the Gov Tac is even better. Don't own one yet, but I've handled them in the store before and if I wasn't broke at the time it would have been mine. IMO The Gov Tac is a handy size and shape and the balence is wonderfull. IMO it would be a good field knife for most people, especially in wet climates. I currently have a Black Kabar with a black Kraton handle and used to have a Short Kabar with leather handle. As much as I like my Black Kabar, I prefered the shorter one. Personally I'd more be looking at the Gov Tac VS Shorty Kabar and one of these days, I hope to have both. :)

Which would I recommend right now? The Gov Tac. Because we are on the SOG Forum and it's a great very under rated knife.

Edited to add - My Black Kabar is Partly serrated which some find really nice and half the time I don't care either way about on a utility/yard working knife, but I don't like them on a camp knife. I tend to whittle with the part of the blade closest to the guard so if the knife has serrations, it makes things harder. Guess maybe I should look into trading my Kabar for a plain edged one?

While I don't have a full size kabar I have Short and a short tanto along with a gov tac. The gov tac is more comfortable has better corrosion properties in wet humid climates and Has a better handle than the kabar. The grip feels more secure also some states have a six inch blade length which the gov tac meets but the kabar exceeds. If in the desert or arctic out of the two I would go kabar anywhere else I would go gov tac

I would pick the Tech bowie or Agency. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Know that is not the question but feel there are plenty of knives that can fill in for a Gov Tac style blade. Blackjack 1-7" and for a guardless knife Cold Steel SRK

Last edited:
If you're set on one of these two knives, I'd say the SOG is a nicer knife, the Kabar probably a bit tougher.

I've got the older Government and I really like it- great grip and balance- for a fighting knife. If you want an all-around camp knife I'd suggest something with a half guard (instead of the full guard on these) and a wider, and possibly thinner blade. I'm sure you could quite successfully use either of these as a camp knife- I once used a Guardian, but I found things got a lot easier when I started going with a knife's design instead of against it.

I'm a SOG fan, so get the SOG. I have several SOG knives with the AUS 8 steel, no problem sharpening. And I definitely like the Kraton handle.

Cheers,

Carl

Go the Gov Tac the kabar usmc is cheap shoddy mass produced rubbish. Great for WWII but that was a long time ago.

Go the Gov Tac the kabar usmc is cheap shoddy mass produced rubbish. Great for WWII but that was a long time ago.

Fredy, thank you for stating your opinion. Now let me add mine, The Ka-Bar (KaBar, Kabar - It's all good) Mark II Fighting/Utility commonly refered to as the Kabar F/U is as good of a knife today as it was 70 years ago, If not even better. Sure it's not made from the latest steel or have a full width tang, or have the latest buzz words in it's marketing. That doesn't mean it's not good. Read up on the Ka-Bar Subforum and you will learn that Ka-Bar has worked to Improve the heat treat and tang strangth while keeping the price of the knife low enough that most people can afford at least 1 of them. . . . SOG knives are great, especially the ones mentioned above and the Seal series (have not tried most of the newer models so can't comment), but again that doesn't take away from how good the Ka-Bar F/U is. Sure it's no BK2 (The Original sharpened Prybar), Busse or other 1/4" chop and pry fridges and cars apart knives, then again what is but those knives. Different knives for different jobs. Sure the Ka-Bar F/U could be ground differently to aid in slicing and the tang could be redesigned to handle battoning and the like better, but then it would be a different knife.

As I stated earlier in this thread I've had and used 2 Ka-Bar brand Mark II F/U knives over the years and neither ever let me down. The Shorty was my constant companion out on the ranch I grew up on, out in the hills and mountains and even out in the deserts of South Central Utah. The Full Sized F/U went up the canyon also and shows some signs of use, but there's no giving up in that knife. Forum Member and Modorator Mooze45 has used, abused and broken more Ka-Bar F/U's that most of us will probably own in our life times. But he still owns and collects them today. I sold my large Ka-Bar F/U last spring when money was tight to pay bills. Last fall when I had some extra money I tried buying an other but ended up getting a Western made Short Mark II F/U from late in WWII, an Actual WWII Western baby shark knife thats based off the Ka-Bar Mark II F/U. After cleaning up the knife I sharpened it, made it a custom leather sheath (the factory one is dieing from dry rot and there's no thread left, rivets hold it together) and put it to use. It's carved up Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Carrots, potatoes, onions, cellery, cabbage, squash, Bell Peppers, Chilis, fruits, cheese, bread and the like. It's made some Dutch Oven Chicken stews and Dutch Oven Chili. The patina it's developing from the kitchen use looks a bit like the factory bluing.

Not only has said 69 year old knife done Kitchen Duty, but it's also done Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft things. For instance I've made 2 bow drill spindles with it this month, a bearing block, the bow and it helped be refine the hearth board that was roughed out with a Machete. Can't forget all of the tent stakes, marsh mellow/hot dog sticks and general camp whittling that the knife has done in the last 4 months since I got it. My old Shorty Ka-Bar Mark II has gone through the same and more in the 4 to 5 years I had it. That knife now resides in the Road side emergency kit in the trunk of his car, after he put it through it's paces. Thats just 2 examples of Ka-Bar Mark II knives kicking trash today as they did 70 years ago and one has been doing it for 68 to 70 years.

Feel free to join us over in the Ka-Bar Forum to learn about the Venerable Ka-Bar Mark II F/U and their other knives. :) Who knows if your posts impress Moose he might just loan or give you a Ka-Bar F/U to use. He's been know to do it.

Now back to our normal SOG Recommendations. ;)

I would strongly recommend you getting the SOG SEAL Team. I was also in the store looking for a new knife and GOV-TAC was one of my options but I took SEAL Team without any hesitations. Much more powerful thick blade (with special racy design now), single piece GRN handle of enourmous strength. I have a KA-BAR USMC also but SEAL Team really beats it. If you are looking for a knife that will do a heavy duty work and look great at the same time - the SEAL Team is a must have.

KA-BAR!!!!!!!!!!!
The USMC has better blade shape, better steel, better handle, better sheath, more capable, better everything!
But what do I know, I'm a Beckerhead:D

-orangish ducktape
1671.jpg

Back