Ka-Bar Warthog folders....Opinions?

To me the Warthog folders always look like the blade is too short compared to the length of the handle. I know this has nothing to do with the quality, but the look seems unbalanced.

but theyre sooooo ugly!!!!!
does it even matter how good they are???:barf: :barf: :barf:

Originally posted by payback462
but theyre sooooo ugly!!!!!
does it even matter how good they are???:barf: :barf: :barf:

LOL.., I have to say that is a pretty ugly knife.. :( ...and the thread just caught my eye. I do have a fairly close aquaintance that has one and really likes it.., but I don't know how much abuse he's put it through.

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

I just looked up the word UGLY in my Webster Dictionary and I'll be a monkey's uncle if a picture of the Kabar warthog folder wasn't there as an example! Man that knife is UGLY

But you know what.............I like it!

Originally posted by artsig1
I just looked up the word UGLY in my Webster Dictionary and I'll be a monkey's uncle if a picture of the Kabar warthog folder wasn't there as an example! Man that knife is UGLY

But you know what.............I like it!

LOL! I like it too.

I went out and got one myself. A local retailer had a them for sale under $30.00 (including tax) so I purchased one and I thought I'd share my impressions of it. I got the plain edge model 3070 and I find it's a nice "ugly" little knife. It's made in Japan, it's very light, it fits comfortably in the hand and is razor sharp.

What I like about it:
I like the removable pocket clip which is quite sturdy and allows the knife to ride as deep as possible in the pocket for discrete carry. It has an AUS-8 steel blade. How many knives can you get for such a low price with AUS-8 blades? Also, the blade action is smooth and the lockup is secure with no blade wobble detected in any direction. The feel of the Zytel handle and linerlock action remind me of the old Spyderco Walker lightweight or the Browning Barracuda folders, except you can adjust the blade tension. Like the Spyderco Walker lightweight models and the Browning Barracudas, there is only one steel liner which is somewhat nested into the side of the the handle. Also, the molded handle is partially open in the back to allows easy cleaning should the knife be covered in residue. For those of use who are inclined to take the knife apart, it can be done with a set of Torx and Phillips screwdrivers. Even though I don't much care for blade coatings on knives, the all black look gives it an attractive stealthy appearance just like it's fixed blade brothers.

What I don't like about it:
Okay, it's butt ugly, but functional. Hey I think I coined a new phrase! There's not much I don't like about this knife except for 2 things that are missing. First, it's missing a lanyard hole. A utilitarian pocket knife of this type needs a lanyard hole badly. Sure the pocket clip is there, but for the outdoor types, a lanyard hole will help prevent loss out in the field. Second, it needs dual liners. This linerlock knife was designed for pure utility, therefore the handle needs to be a bit more rigid in order to make it truly useful.

Well, there it is. The Ka-Bar Warthog folder is not pretty at all, but it's one of those budget factory folders that one could use and not cry about if it gets lost. Even though it's not a hard use folder, it's a very funtional design that could take care of all sorts of everyday tasks requiring a pocket knife. Makes a great skinner too!

I kinda forgot about those...

When I first came across a pic of one it struck me kinda like an A-10 Warthog... ugly but DAMN useful!

If I were to run across one in a brick and morter, gun show or someplace that had something else I gotta have online I think I would grab it.

Because ugly is as ugly does.

Back