KA-BAR wood handled folder

I recently picked up an old KA-BAR "swiss army" type knife. It has:

- brown wood handles
- 2 blades
- flat screw driver
- bottle/can opener that has more of a knife point than standard can-opener point and a small lug instead of a thumbnail slot.

The main blade is a bit thicker than modern blades and doesn't taper much before the edge. Says KA-BAR OLEAN.N.Y.

The smaller blade is flat on one side and rounded on the other side up to the edge. The outline is a point and it looks more like a tool for puncturing than cutting.

The two pins that hold it together have brass rings around them about 1/4" in diameter.

I'm mostly interested in the approx. age as I'm not interested in selling it. Any information about the circa of the knife and series name would be appreciated.

I updated the description and added a picture:
ka-bar-1.JPG

That knife os from the 1920 to 1940 time period, probably more likely WWII era...it may be a military knife WWII era....but also possibly a civilian knife.

The handles look like wood but they are red fiber material, this was used a lot on WWII era knives due to shortages of bone.

Thank you! :)

Any thoughts about the bottle opener shape and the use of a lug instead of a slot on that one tool?

That's a combo tool - bottle opener and can opener...

The lug not only serves as the nail pull to open the blade, it is integral to the use of the can opener....it lays horizontally on the can rim while you rock the spade part up and down to cut open the can.

Case and KABAR both used the lug in some of their can opener designs.

Back