ka-bar

hi y'all im looking for a new bush knife i had a buck special 119 with plastic handle i lent it to someone and because it was cold i gouess it cracked and i dont feel confident using it but i have had my eye on a ka-bar u.s.m.c it looks awsome and i like the fact that its carbon steel 1095 i believe anyways what do u guys of it in terms of use and durability? thanks

LONE WOLF

Banned
Cool knife. Gotta keep it clean and dry or it will rust, though.As with most knives they should not be thrown or pried with. Good luck. :D

I would also go with the Becker C/U 7, great knife at a great price.

crazymountainman said:
what about a becker wsk? i heard their really good could someone give me a pic or link? thnx

Are you thinking of the WSK made by Dave Beck? Tracker style knife used in The Hunted? If so just do a search for WSK, Tracker or Dave Beck on this forum, you should find lots of info and pics.

Ric

Those ka-bars are tough blades... I personally prefer them over any becker, but that might be a personal choise after all ;)

Reasons?

- The leather rings handle is much more comfortable, yet with wet hands it still has a grip.

- The blade has a better geometry for piercing/stabbing

- You can reprofile it to a wide convex edge and make them some great cutters with plenty of toughness...

convex-ka-bar.jpg

Cheers,

David

Great reprofiling job :cool:

Looks like it would really perform well.

The Beckers are great blades. Excellent choices, as are the ka-bars. If you go with the kabar, check out Camillus' ka-bars as well. Camillus made most of the kabars during WWII; the kabar company just got most of the credit and publicity.

BTW, Ron, good to see ya! Glad to see you've continued with wilderness survival stuff and are having a lot of fun with it. I heard about your hurricane damage; sorry to hear it. Anway, hope all is well and I thought I'd let you know I still think about that course quite a bit!

I had the Case XX version of the Kabar and had an original issue by kabar. Both good knives, but for a field blade, I'd take the Becker C/U-7 over the Kabars. They are close to each other money wise and both are considerably less than the WSK.

If memory serves, the Buck 119 has about a 5 1/2" blade. Unless you are planing on using the replacement knife for alot of chopping, I don't think you will find a 7" blade quite as handy as the smaller knife - perhaps this is just personal taste... However, I would go with the Cold Steel SRK (6" blade) over the K-bar any day. And I'd take Blackjack's new Grunt over the SRK, even though it's AUS8 as oppossed to the carbon steel...

RokJok

Gold Member
James Green Dragon said:
I would go with the Cold Steel SRK (6" blade)
If you are interested in the SRK, see if you can get one of the factory seconds to save some money. They are available through the Cold Steel Special Projects catalog and, if you catch them on sale as they were last Christmas season, can be gotten in the $35 range (normally $50 for the seconds). The factory seconds will have cosmetic flaws, not anything that will affect the performance of the knife. Most comments by people who've gotten the seconds indicate they couldn't spot what the flaw was supposed to be.

However, be sure to handle in a store any of CS's straight-stick kraton handled knives before you buy one. The ergo's on them (lack of contour & pretty square un-radiused corners) and the aggressive checkering some people find uncomfortable enough to not buy the knives. However, IMHO an SRK would make a fine blade to use as the basis for a rehandle job. ;) :cool:

If you don't need the beefiness of the SRK/Kabar/Camillus blades, the CS All-Terrain Hunter is a $20 knife that I hear almost nothing of on the forum. Its 4.5" willow-leaf shaped Carbon V blade looks like it would make a good slicer, being essentially all belly. Especially being just under 1/8" thick (3/32" stock). Of course, you've got to consider the full-finger-grooved handle on this one. Some like 'em, some don't.
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/coldstee/colddes/allterrainhunters.HTM

Otherwise, lots of good suggestions made so far.

I guess the burning question is, how much are you willing to spend.

If its low you may want to look at the Ontario line of knives too. I have a SP6 which is 1095. You will have to spend some time reprofiling it though but once done it should be fine.

sp6_fightingknife.jpg

If you want to get a knife that will last you a life time and make you smile each time you use it I reccomend a Bushcraft made from S30V from a fellow forumite and full time knife maker Roger Linger.

bushcraft7_1.jpg

Or... if you want a good chopper and all round tough guy the SKC by R Linger is hard to beat too. I am having one made in D2 and with presentation grade Desert Iron wood (Yummo :p )

campknife1.jpg

Ontario is definately a contender for a decent cheap knife IMO. I like and own the Spec Plus SP6 myself - however, the overall quality is not as good as Cold Steel; same with the Ka-Bar - although fit & finish on the KaBar are better than Ontario, either would need to be reground for serious cutting. And Carbon V just outperforms 1095 steel.

1095 isn't bad though & the SP-6 is a bad ass fighter IMO. It's also got an 8" blade with a sharpened false edge & "fighter" stamped on it making it the least politically correct of the knives suggested (KaBar is kind of an American Classic by this point - everyone's got or at least seen one)! Not sure that the "Freedom Fighter" version of the Ontario has the evil "stamping" though & some may like the more traditional handle on that model... knifecenter has them for less than $50: http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-Cu...edom Fighter Knives,2,16,=,ont,&,60,=,freedom

As for handles; I'd like to see the results of Rok Jock's re-handling project on the SRK factory 2nd! :eek:

But, as I mentioned before, I like the Blackjack Grunt better still, especially as a replacement for the Buck 119; talk about a handle - this thing all but surounds your hand in a very retention friendly way that really has to be felt to be understood. Combine that with the extremely wide, curved convex edge blade (5 1/2"), and I think you have the best all around knife for under $100 on the market - IMO. Here's a link: http://www.knifeware.com/blackjackgrunt.html

Temper: I like that 'SKC by R Linger' - but how expensive is it? Can you post a link?

Take care,

James

James,
Its very expensive (but what quality isnt?) Its a special order for me with different materials and works out at $403. This is for D2 instead of 1075 and some darling Desert Iron Wood, the sheath is made by a third party and the Firesteel is just an option part.

Its going to be a while before I get it tough, Roger is run off his feet with orders.

Here is the same sheath but with a Bushcraft rather than a SCK

medise4.jpg

JJW

For an absolute best all around knife you cant beat the Ka-Bar!
Its loved so much for it utility that even European military soldiers like the British and even French use it!
Are there some smaller ones better? Like the moyra? YES!
Are there some more expensive ones that are better? YES!
IF I was stuck in a true "servival" situation, I would be hard pressed not to ask for a Ka-Bar. I have used one for training purposes only, and it never failed!
Even the truly mighty Moyra isnt a combat/bad enviro tool.
Heak for 15 Euro I can get a Ka-Bar..and NOT be afraid to use it...and that to me IS the most important thing! Not being afraid to use the knife, break of its tip..than fix with a rock sort of knife!

Temper; that's a sweet hunting knife! A little pricey though - I lean more towards what JJW said about not having to worry about a less expensive knife - plus, for only $100 or so more, I could get that FN / FAL I've been wanting :D

Rok: Regarding the SRK - Knife Center has them w/kydex sheaths for $53.95 and they are not seconds (!): http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-Cu...Knives,2,16,=,cs,&,157,=,fixed,&,160,=,carbon

As for tip strength, I read a testamonial of a dude using one to hammer into a rock in a rock climbing emergency - don't know about that, but I've subjected mine to hundreds of throws with minimal damage. As a matter of fact, Jeff Randall & his people think very highly of the SRK as well - especially for throwing, if you check out their Survival school website...

LongBow: That is the 'short' model & is an actual "Kabar" brand knife - I got one not too long ago but with the kraton handle & kydex sheath; It's a nice knife but I'm not too keen on the handle length (and I'm a relatively small person, though I have average sized hands). Point is that someone with large hands would probably find the short model's handle far too small.

On a related note, I would be interested in seeing a comparisson of the various "kabars" (aka; Marine Combat Knife). Everyone from Kabar, Ontario & Camillus made them - I recently discovered Case made them as well (I'd like to pick up that one sometime). They all have slight variations; I know Camillus' version has a bit of a blade / handle offset. Ontario's handle appears longer & Case's handle seems more narrow / better quality overall. Nonetheless, I have not handled all of them (used to have an Ontario which I learned to throw with as a kid and I've handled the smaller Kabar & full sized Camillus)... Perhaps one of our intrepid knife reviewers will have a go at that as a project?!?!?

JJW: As an American, I'm kind of proud to hear that the Kabar is held in high regard overseas :) ...how much in US$$ is 15 Euro anyway?

Nevertheless, as stated above, I'm with Moine in that the edge would need to be reground for optimal cutting ability on a Kabar. I don't have the equipment for that personally. Also, I think years ago Bill Bagwell wrote an article on the relative merits of the Marine Combat design - it came up kind of short if I recall - and mostly due to blade geometry. The steel is fine but the edge angle is too steep IMO.

Don't get me wrong, you could definately do worse than a Kabar, no matter which brand & what the intended task. Every design is a trade-off & no one knife will do everything great. To me, the most important thing a knife should do is CUT though - and that's why the Blackjack knife is first choice.

Here's a thought for a decent, very cheap, all around knife: the Cold Steel True Flight thrower... For all of $21.95 (Knife Center again) you get 1095 steel, decent edge geometry, strong point and easy to modify as far as handle projects go. I took mine and added another layer of paracord to the handle, in a Japanese wrap style; if you like a knife with a low profile that's cheap, tough & can be easily made razor sharp, the True Flight thrower isn't a bad choice at all!

To sum up, I would go with the Blackjack in the hundred dollar range, the SRK in the $50 range & the True Flight thrower in the under $25 range as a replacement for the Buck 119. Though I acknowledge this is personal choice & many other knives fit into the catagory.

Choose wisely :confused:

Temper said:
Its very expensive (but what quality isnt?) Its a special order for me with different materials and works out at $403.

What quality isn't? Check out Swamp Rat Knife Works.

They're tougher than your blade. Even with a perfect heat treat such as the one on your knife, D2 is brittle. It's very good for light cutting jobs but it won't stand abuse like SR-101. SR-101 is, by definition, close to indestructible. It keeps a scary edge incredibly well, it won't chip, roll, crack or break when you need it most.

The handle is not as pretty... it's made from resiprene C : tough as hell, and you've got a great grip, even with wet/dirty/bloody hands. I'd pick a Howling Rat (89$ IIRC) before your pretty knife anytime if my life depended on it.

... Sorry for the rant. It's not pointing at you, I'm just kind of fed up to hear people say you have to pay 300+ bucks to get a real serious blade.

Cheers,

David