Kabar Becker BK7

Kabar Becker BK7 was the only knife made me confuse before purchase Kabar D2 Extreme fighting knife. However at the end I bought all of them. Kabar Becker BK 7 is far from my expectation. It’s a perfect knife for survival adventures.

Kabar’s products are likely my best choice. Their philosophy is apparently to invest all their resources into producing a high quality blade of excellent design, material, and coating while minimizing the cost of parts and accessories. I love it! They always tried to make outstanding knife and Kabar Becker BK7 is one of their high quality products. It offers an awesome survival tool at an acceptable price! It’s a good idea because I can pay less for high quality knife and buy accessories which needed later.

Kabar Becker BK7 combat utility knife left me a strong impression in the moment when I hold it in hands. It was a reliable, trustable knife for camping, hunting and fighting. It was an absolutely perfect blend of utility, durability, and affordability. If you lose on a far away island, you’ll wish Kabar Becker BK7 in your pack back. It could be useful for multi-purpose/survival uses in the wilderness. It is delightful to hold such a well-made knife and know that it's proudly made in the USA. Kabar Becker BK7 is a full tang knife which has a great design, shape as well as size. This best survival knife is made by the legendary Kabar cutlery. Kabar Becker BK7 seems designed to be the perfect "all around" wilderness utility and combat knife.

At first I didn’t like this knife’s appearance especially its handle. Then handle looks slip and easy to lose out of my hand. However everything was change until I hold it. The awesome beauty of the BK7 was a terrific instance of "form following function."

Kabar Becker BK7 is built from highly durable yet easily sharpened 1095 Cro-Van steel, with a long, straight, flat ground edge that comes shaving sharp right out of the box. The metal, grind, and straight edge will make this knife simple to use and maintain in the field. Kabar Becker BK7 was the knife followed me for a survival adventure along Mekong Delta River in 7 days in 2010. In that trip I used it for almost hard work to survive and it showed that Kabar’s producers were serious with which they made: They had a great design for this knife. The thumb ramp on the blade was unexpectedly convenient. It didn’t interfere with any normal grip of the knife. When I wanted kabar becker bk7 reviewto slice something such as meat, this design provided a solid spot to park my thumb which also seems to allow a little extra leverage. The BK7's thumb ramp permitted a little extra leverage and kind of lets you locked out your thumb to transfer more leverage from the wrist/forearm muscles. It really felt like it may translate into noticeably less fatigue from your grip over time. I like the feel of the thumb ramp and it did seem functional, which I did not expect.

Not only use for slicing, I have abused it harder as just about any tool I've owned. Not so surprise that Kabar Becker BK7 survived through all of hard tests and it just keeps going and going... Believe me, with this knife in hands, build a fire, dig a hole, cut a tree or make a kill are very easy tasks. The blade is made in 1095 steel thus once it dulled you can sharpen it easily. I just used some cheap Japanese sharpen stone which cost me about $5- $10 per unit. The blade excels at most bushcraft chores, from fine tasks like feather sticks all the way up to hard-abuse tasks like chopping through a limb as a make-shift axe or batoning through 5" diameter logs to make kindling. And after all this time, the black coating on blade has held on like a champ.

For survival purposes the Ka-Bar Becker BK7 will certainly offer you numerous advantages. You can utilize it in order to cut as well as chop firewood to construct a fire on the hunting journey. You may also use this for reducing; cleaning as well as skinning your catch upon hunting as well as hiking adventures. If you like camping, then this is actually the perfect knife for you. In urge situation in the wild if you need a weapon to counter wild animal, your Kabar Becker BK7 surely be a good combat/fighting knife. There is no question that the substantial heft, long edge, excellent balance, and sharp piercing tip will make this knife very effective as a defensive weapon in urgent situations.

I personally didn’t have opportunity to test BK7 as a fighting knife on field. I guess it could not flexible as Kabar USMC fighting knife or Kabar D2 Extreme Fighting knife, which initial designed to be combat knives (You can read my Kabar D2 Extreme Fighting Knife review here). However there is different between battle field and wild forest. In the wild I rather choose full tang Kabar Becker BK7, which larger, stronger blade. Bigger blade means easier to do survival activities such as chopping tree trunks, cutting branches to build a camp, digging dust to find food sources and more…

Nice review!

Sounds right to me, I have the Kabar D2 extreme and have used it to field dress several deer, also have the BK7 and it is a very capable knife as well, more survival/utility, does great around the campsite for me.

Full tang over stick tang any day for me.
Thanks for the review.
The bk7 is about the only full.sized bk that's about right for the hitting the trail.

Some of my friends said that they found Kabar Becker BK7 can be a good fighting knife (as its name: Kabar Becker BK7 combat knife). I personally don't think so. I think Becker knives are survival line. They fit for heavy duty tasks and lack the flexible ability to stab as a fighting knife such as USMC or D2. Do you think so?

The bk7 would work as any knife would.
For me at least, the issue lies with the handle
It is not particularly suited for combative mode.
Feels too much like holding onto the back end of a coke bottle...
I would advocate replacing the factory fitted scales
With custom fitted scales which affords more grip styles
And one that won't slip as easily.
The blade it self is light and hence lively in the hand.
Otherwise i do not foresee any reason for the bk7 to fall short in extreme situations
Except for the reasons stated.
Its really a nice package.
Http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/724451-bk7-vs-bk9-as-a-soldier-knife
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1218102-The-Ka-Bar-combat-knife-vs-the-BK7

I like my BK7 as a camp knife. The coating wore off pretty quick, so I baked on some KG Gunkote. A lot of guys patina the blade, but the coating suits me as far as being a little easier to keep it corrosion free. I had some 3/8" thick canvas micarta around, so I was able to make up some scales to please my hands.

I have seen video on youtube and multiple comments that the steel of the BK7 (and probably the BK9) is fragile and has a risk of breaking, it this true?

I have seen video on youtube and multiple comments that the steel of the BK7 (and probably the BK9) is fragile and has a risk of breaking, it this true?
Any knife can be broken. There are tougher steels, that will survive being beaten on more. But price to performance ratio I think beckers do very well. They aren't fragile. Used as a knife will serve you well and are tough enough.

I wouldn't worry about comment sections. Buy the knife you like and use it, I bet it doesn't disappoint you.

This is the video I was referring to:
Read the comments as well.

Here are a few quotes from them:

"The BK7 is made out of 1095 Cro-Van steel. It's a brittle alloy that can shatter on impact especially if treated to have a hardness of 58 HRC. All in all it has excellent edge retention but can't handle getting beaten."

"BrilliantI have always wanted to get a BK7 but I have been troubled by the reports of them breaking. Especially around the area where the skeletonised handle meats the blade.For the record I would LOVE to see you test the genuine British Army Jungle Knife. There are a lot of fake stainless steel ones, but the genuine carbon steel one made by Sheffield Cutlery would hopefully be a hilarious video. Its basically a giant thick, solid slab of steel, and its designed to be "soldier proof". I think only chopping stone would possibly break it."

"It's amazing how the Beckers shatter like glass during the vibration testing compared to esse. The Esse knives do break but seem to take more abuse before total destruction. Thanks JoeX "

"Beckers heat treat leaves their knives brittle. That's why the blade broke or exploded the way it did. Great video as always Joe!"

It's a knife, and thus designed and best treated to perform as one.

Not a pry bar, axe, pick axe, shovel, hammer, etc.

The benefit of the BK-7 is that it cuts pretty well, sharpens easy, and can be abused to a degree.

Softer steel will bend and survive that kind of abuse, but sacrifice cutting ability, and therefore its primary purpose.

There is always a trade-off for performance factors.

Another thing to consider, is the BK-7 has skeletonized liners to affect balance and handling.

It is marketed as combat utility, and the balance is part of the features to help it fit that category.

"The BK7 is made out of 1095 Cro-Van steel. It's a brittle alloy that can shatter on impact especially if treated to have a hardness of 58 HRC. All in all it has excellent edge retention but can't handle getting beaten."

"BrilliantI have always wanted to get a BK7 but I have been troubled by the reports of them breaking. Especially around the area where the skeletonised handle meats the blade.For the record I would LOVE to see you test the genuine British Army Jungle Knife. There are a lot of fake stainless steel ones, but the genuine carbon steel one made by Sheffield Cutlery would hopefully be a hilarious video. Its basically a giant thick, solid slab of steel, and its designed to be "soldier proof". I think only chopping stone would possibly break it."

"It's amazing how the Beckers shatter like glass during the vibration testing compared to esse. The Esse knives do break but seem to take more abuse before total destruction. Thanks JoeX "

"Beckers heat treat leaves their knives brittle. That's why the blade broke or exploded the way it did. Great video as always Joe!"
If you want to beat a knife to the point of what that guy does in the video, you want a busse. That's not knife use. That's a destruction test. Who uses their knife like that? Baton a log, make a fire, chop branches or trees, cut meat for food, and the bk7 is fine.

Honestly a softer 5160 knife would probably do well in that test.

Knives that do well in that test are significantly softer or significantly more expensive than a bk7. Just so you know.

So really think what you want out of a knife. You want shear destruction test survivability? If it's cheap it will be thick and cut like crap. If it's much more money it can survive it better and retain good geometry.

I like a robust knife, hence why I have knives in very tough steels. But they are a lot more expensive than becker. Beckers work just fine for actual use.

Last edited:

Warbler, I think the Becker did very well in that abuse test. If you have ever seen a BK7/9 up close you will notice that it is very thin stock. Thin stock means reduced stiffness, which means the knife will fail in one of two ways. It will either snap, or bend. In the case of becker, it snapped. But it's edge held up well until then to extreme abuse. If the Rc was lower, the knife would have bent and taken a set instead of snapping, but the edge would have looked like a serrated edge well before that. So it's a fine line. If you are going to use it for typical woodcraft bushcraft work, it will be fine and it has an excellent edge. Esee's are tougher, but Rc'd lower so they take a set instead of snapping off. I own both brands and like both.

Busse is another brand of knife, known for extreme strength and toughness, but the pricepoint is several magnitudes higher for the same size knife. And there are many options when you go up in price point.

KaBar/Becker have been known for their 1095C steel and its heat treatment. Everything is a trade off. Ease of sharpening, edge retention, toughness. The BK7 and BK9 both chop above their weight class because they are relatively thin and high ground compared to some of the "sharpened" 5/16" thick bars. They also cut and slice well. They perform the duties of a knife, a knife that is well. And they do so with a design and ergonomics that many find to their liking. You can even get away with a surprising amount of abuse within limits. If anyone doesn't know that chiseling stone or beating with boulders......The tip on the BK7 is obviously not as thick as the BK9 for instance. Look at the grind you can see the difference. The guy making the video can do and say what he wants but who are the idiots saying he really opened their eyes to just what pieces of junk their BK7's are? Really? Its like slamming a brand new truck into a brick wall and complaining because it wasn't still driveable. And then trying to make some lame internet commando justification like: "well its a four wheel drive and its for offroad and the brick wall was off the road and you never know when you might have to go through a brick wall and the manufacturer said they make tough trucks and you had the tough guy package added...."

These are some scary dark times indeed.

I remember a review online where a guy claimed the Chris Reeves hollow handle knives could break. To demonstrate he put the kmnife in a vise and took a 3# sledge hammer and kept hitting the knife forever where the handle and blade joined till it broke. Took a long time but convinced me to buy a Chris Reeves hollow handle knife. I figured if a guy attached me with a 3# sledge he would have to hit many times to break my blade and by than he would have long been stabbed multiple times. Some demos are stupid and you never know what they did to the knife to make it happen. I love my BK7.

I remember a review online where a guy claimed the Chris Reeves hollow handle knives could break. To demonstrate he put the kmnife in a vise and took a 3# sledge hammer and kept hitting the knife forever where the handle and blade joined till it broke. Took a long time but convinced me to buy a Chris Reeves hollow handle knife. I figured if a guy attached me with a 3# sledge he would have to hit many times to break my blade and by than he would have long been stabbed multiple times. Some demos are stupid and you never know what they did to the knife to make it happen. I love my BK7.
Yeah, the problem with sledgehammer hits is that you can go half power on one knife and full power on the next. To many variables.

Back