Kabar folder

Hi guys, I've never posted on the traditional forum before , I'm more into Chris Reeves knives and Fixed blades. Well to the point, this knife was my grandfathers, I received it after he passed. It was always on his belt whenever I visited as a child. If someone could help me Identify the model of knife it is. I would appreciate it. I tried looking on Kabar's website and couldn't find anything. I think its at least 40 years old, not sure though. There is some corrosion all over the knife. The saw blade looks really handy as well for camping. Well I wish to restore it to its original glory. Any tips on removing the rust would be helpful as well. I have coated it in oil and applied some Tuff glide to prevent further rust. The blade is at least a 4 incher.

Let's try this in the Ka-Bar sub-forum.

With the importance of this knife, let me just throw out the thought that you keep it at a 'light" restoration. The blade corrosion needs taken care of, and a good sharpening and lube, but I would be OK with scratches and character marks. if that is bone, mineral oil has worked for me to get it looking good and maybe a light buff on the bolsters. it's just an idea to consider.

Thanks for the replies, I'll get some mineral oil then and buff the bolsters as well after removing the rust . There is some rust in the liners as well. I'm not interested in ever selling this knife so it doesn't need to be pristine.

I have a very similar knife that I got at my local swap meet's knife stand. The skinner blade on mine lacks serrations, but it's otherwise very much the same folding hunter type knife. The scales are synthetic, delrin or some such. A little mineral oil will help the appearance. I'd say give the whole thing a dunk in mineral oil and work the blades and wipe off what comes out. What a great knife to have! Lots of history there.

I inherited that model from my father. As with hawaiianhawk's knife, both my blades are plain edge.

Kabar.jpg

Try this:
If the blade of your knife is marked with a four-digit code, you may be able to find it on the list here. If you can't find a product code, we may be able to help you identify your knife using photos. Please shoot both sides of the blade, note any unique markings, measurements, etc, and send it to info@ka-bar.com. Please allow a couple weeks for a response... sometimes these things are really tough to pinpoint.

Nice knife:thumbup:

Back