kagas katne handle.

I ordered one of these little guys and it is pretty cool. My question is about the handle. I can only fit two fingers on the handle. I would like to round off\grind off one of the flanges at the bottom of the handle so that it doesn't cut into my palm. How do I do it? Its horn, if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Easy as pie...file, sandpaper, belt grinder...whatever you have. It won't take much. Finer grits to polish it back up. If you use a buffer, make sure you get a good grip, there's not much to hang onto with those and tape the blade before you do it for more protection. Also watch for heat buildup...horn burns easily and don't inhale the dust as it's organic and may contain irritants.

Let me emphasize something Nasty already said: TAPE the blade up well. 2 or 3 layers over the cutting edge is not too much. Tape is cheap, surgery is not. A power tool can snatch a piece out of your hand before you know what happened. Even working with hand tools, a sharp edge has a way of being where you didn't expect it while distracted. Don't ask me how I know this, or why I'm so adamant about it. :eek:
You can do a lot with a few small files, some sandpaper and 4/0 steel wool to finish up the polish. Not a real shiny finish, but as they say, tactical - or is it tactile? :D
Good luck on the project, and keep in mind that it's always possible to put another handle on, if this one turns into what we sometimes call, "a learning experience" around the cantina. :rolleyes:

Bri in Chi said:
Let me emphasize something Nasty already said: TAPE the blade up well. 2 or 3 layers over the cutting edge is not too much. Tape is cheap, surgery is not. A power tool can snatch a piece out of your hand before you know what happened. Even working with hand tools, a sharp edge has a way of being where you didn't expect it while distracted. Don't ask me how I know this, or why I'm so adamant about it. :eek:
You can do a lot with a few small files, some sandpaper and 4/0 steel wool to finish up the polish. Not a real shiny finish, but as they say, tactical - or is it tactile? :D
Good luck on the project, and keep in mind that it's always possible to put another handle on, if this one turns into what we sometimes call, "a learning experience" around the cantina. :rolleyes:

Actually, I just put the blade in a vise using a cardboard bufffer and didn't have any problem. It left me with both hands free and I filed the sharp edge of the handle off and rounded off the edge that sat in the palm of my hand. I then used some sandpaper to finish it off and then used some squalene to bring the shine back. Doesn't look professional, but its very comfortable to the hand.

hehehe...anyone who attended the MWKK *would* assume the use of power grinders...sorry about that!

Shann said:
I then used some sandpaper to finish it off and then used some squalene to bring the shine back.
Shann what is "squalene?":confused:
Sounds like something we all need to know about if it brings back the shine to horn, besides buffing that is.:D

Yvsa said:
Shann what is "squalene?":confused:
Sounds like something we all need to know about if it brings back the shine to horn, besides buffing that is.:D

Its a very exotic, very expensive product. Oh, wait, actually its just a fancy word for forehead or nose grease. I always wanted to use that word since I read it in some spy novel about watchmakers using it to oil the little parts.

Shann said:
Its a very exotic, very expensive product. Oh, wait, actually its just a fancy word for forehead or nose grease. I always wanted to use that word since I read it in some spy novel about watchmakers using it to oil the little parts.
LMRRAO Again.... Good old nose grease again, just can't be beat. But although it will make something shiny it doesn't bring back the mirror finish.;)

Back