Kalamazoo 1SM grinder platen mod?

Hey folks,

There's an old thread with reference to modifying the 1SM so you can bevel from the left and right. Currently, when I bevel from the left the tang makes contact with the platen and stops me from flattening the bevel all the way. This is because the belt sits on the edge of the platen only on the right side. I'm a novice over here so let me know if I'm simply doing something wrong. The old thread hd photos but the link is broken.

Thank you,

Eric

Mark Reich at Reich Precision makes a platen that is a cure all for your problem.

Several fellow sharpens use Mark's platen and are more than satisfied -

Rupert

Last edited:
I sent him an email. Hope these are still around as I don't see anything about them on his site. Thank you.

Eric

I put the belt on the grinder and marked the excess steel on the platen with a maker. I cut off the excess and put the platen back on the grinder... its now a 1" wide platen that fits the belts.

I put the belt on the grinder and marked the excess steel on the platen with a maker. I cut off the excess and put the platen back on the grinder... its now a 1" wide platen that fits the belts.

I think I’m going to take that route. It makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Back