Kami Marks

I have Uncle Bill, Himalayan Imports Rajkumar's initials and mark, Lok's initials and mark, but I am unfamiliar with the star and the circle with four spokes. I haven't figured out how to get full size pics rather than thumbnails yet.

That is the brothers, Kumar and Sher, excellent kamis.

They were with HI from before, and have recently come back to HI :D

Great information. Those mark were on my newest Khukuri. So that must be unusual to have 2 different Kami marks on one Khukuri. Also wondering if the new shop has a mark like Bir Gorkha has the sun with 4 double spokes. I am curious to find out who is making the 2 customs I should get late this month. Thanks for the info.

when did that happen? i haven't seen a old kumar or sher in some time

miss those bura's as well. good times, those old sharking days.

is sgt khadka still around? he's tricky - no mark usually

Bura has retired due to health.

Khadka has left HI, I do not know why or when. Other forumite veterans may know more information on that.

Kumar and Sher, returned a few months ago, and their brother Yuvraj have produced some items as well, namely the trisuls.

I am pretty sure the sun with double spokes represents the shop itself-- and yeah kadka blades always baffle me as they seem devoid of any clear markers ;x

i didn't know Sgt Khadka had left. that's a shame. i prize his blades highly. bura was the man imho. i love his stuff that i own.

kumar and sher made some classics as well, very good work for the era that i own. hopefully, they produce a lot more.

I am pretty sure the sun with double spokes represents the shop itself-- and yeah kadka blades always baffle me as they seem devoid of any clear markers ;x
I think all the factory data and UB are all on the right side of the blade (spine up pointed away). All makers marks on the left. I believe the sun with the double marks are on the Kami "territory" of the blade. If you want to send me that Indonesian dha by Bura I promise ill give you a full unadulterated review of its origin but It might take thirty years to complete my examination:D Im not sure when Sgt Khadka left HI but if it was before Uncle Bills passing then I suppose there would not be any markings identifying his blades. Im just going on naming conventions and taxonomy that Ive read in history but there may be exceptions? Oh I could probably complete my investigation on a Falcata sample as well. Feel free to submit either for evaluation:rolleyes:

Bura has retired due to health.

Khadka has left HI, I do not know why or when. Other forumite veterans may know more information on that.

Kumar and Sher, returned a few months ago, and their brother Yuvraj have produced some items as well, namely the trisuls.
About how long ago did But a retire?

Not sure. I found this forum in 2012, and he was already retired. I am sure the veterans here will be able to give you a better estimate of Bura's retirement, maybe even an actual month/year.

From 2010:

Basically..... Kami Bura has had one stroke awhile ago and a smaller one more recently. This last one left him with some weakness in his left side, slurred speech and memory loss, IIRC. He now has complications from those and from many years of pounding steel over a coal forge. He gets sick more frequently than before and it makes him unable to return to work.
As a longtime and faithful kami, Auntie will continue to support him and hopefully he can still work for H.I. in some capacity. Whatever happens... He will always be OUR "Royal Kami."

In any Case, I urge you all to continue to pray and send much smoke his way.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749547&highlight=bura
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730318&highlight=bura
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730178&highlight=bura
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723854&highlight=bura

From 2012:

A while back Keshar Lal returned to work at HI. Master Kami Bura gave
him an idea about a special knife and gave Keshar his crescent moon
sign logo. Now Keshar puts his crescent moon logo and his initial on all
the blades he makes.

Bura visited the shop to give advice on the knives, but he is not making
knives now. He is supervising the production on the Villager Utility Knives
that Keshar Lal is creating.
These knives will feel great in your hand and
are useful for general utility needs.

The Villager Utility Knives are cool looking and almost makes me feel like
Bura is back in the shop. The knives come with the villager fit and finish
and a black blade without the karda, chakma and sheath...

Aunti it is most honorable you continue to support Kamis even after they are no longer working at HI. That is why i keep supporting HI. You always seem to get through the bad times and shine at the end! You have my continued support!
As philll almost put it: Enough smoke up to rival Cheech and Chongs van door opening for Bura and HI. Hes still the Royal Kami alright and great to see the other Kamis carry on his legacy! My kingdom for a Bura Wajaski btw :thumbup:

I think all the factory data and UB are all on the right side of the blade (spine up pointed away). All makers marks on the left. I believe the sun with the double marks are on the Kami "territory" of the blade. If you want to send me that Indonesian dha by Bura I promise ill give you a full unadulterated review of its origin but It might take thirty years to complete my examination:D Im not sure when Sgt Khadka left HI but if it was before Uncle Bills passing then I suppose there would not be any markings identifying his blades. Im just going on naming conventions and taxonomy that Ive read in history but there may be exceptions? Oh I could probably complete my investigation on a Falcata sample as well. Feel free to submit either for evaluation:rolleyes:

Maybe some khukuris have more etchings on the right side, but those that I have include U.B. for Uncle Bill Martini and then Devengari for 'Himilayan Imports'. I don't have anything else on the right side of the blade. Maybe, if Auntie reads this, she will have a minute to contribute some insight. Different Kamis may include more in their etchings than others.

sawgrass that probably means you are lucky enough to have some khadka blades as I understand it took them some time to get him to mark them? steve could chime in on this, but there have been a couple of blades like that --- I have a tiger knife that is simply marked HI with no kami mark as well, still dont know who made it :D

sawgrass that probably means you are lucky enough to have some khadka blades as I understand it took them some time to get him to mark them? steve could chime in on this, but there have been a couple of blades like that --- I have a tiger knife that is simply marked HI with no kami mark as well, still dont know who made it :D

It might be. My last one is one the brothers did and has both of their marks. It is nicely made. Still hoping that Yangdu might contribute to this. I am sure that there are a few of us that would like to know the details. I emailed her to ask when/if she got the time, she could address this issue. I think it would be a good thing.

steve and other forumites actually probably know more than yangdu about the kami and kami marks through the ages :D -- but to be sure she will do what she can if she can, I have modified the front page as we learn more about the marks currently-- kami come and go , hopefully the current group stays longer than most.

if nothing else we know the unmarked blades were HI blades even if some are unmarked -- I have an unmarked raj kumar were he marked the sheath -- bought this from another member; I know the kami try to mark each and every one, but they do end up missing some.

I thought my ears were burning, and sure enough I see that I have to write a rebuttal. ;)

For the record, I don't know more than Yangdu or the old-timers here, I just use the search function (and I might remember a few things from the couple of years I've been a forumite).

Anyway, looking through the stickies, I found this information from 2008:

There are four Devngari and one English marks on all of HI Khukuris and Swords.

I Knife maker's intinital.

2 Knife maker's personal sign. Each Knife maker has different sign.

3 Star is a mark designating Himalayan Imports Knife makers.
[Note: see photos below]

4 UB designates Uncle Bill. When Uncle Bill last visited with the Kami's he asked them to mark all the Knives with UB after he passed on.

5 HI logo is for Himalayan imports company.

KAMI SIGN AND MARKS

Bura - Crecent Moon
He is still working for us
Dil - Lotus flower
He is still wrking for us
Yuvraj - Light ( Deo batti in Nepali)
He is still working for us
Vim - Nepal flag
He works part time for us
Rajendra - OM in devengari
He is new kami in the shop he will continue to work for us
Kesar - Rising Sun ( pre 2002), Flag (Post)
He does not work for us
Kumar - Star of David
He does not work for us
Sanu - Cross
He does not work for us
Sher - Sun (pre 2002), Rising sun (Post 2002)
He went to India he does not work for us
Kami with No Name (KNN) - Butterlamp wiht or without flame
He does not work for us
Durba -Flag (pre 2002)
He does not work for us
Prakash - Small Khukuri
He does not work for us
Khadka - Fish
He does not work for us
Murali - Trisul (may have occasionally used a flag also)
He does not work for us
Shankar - KS
He does not work for us
RR (aka Amtrack) - Flyflot
He does not work for us
YB - Exclamation point! (Bang)
He does not work for us
Santosh does not work for us
All other new Kamis hired by my father took some advance money from father and left the shop and never return to work.
Now we have Bura, Dil, Yuvraj, Vim, Rajendra ,scabbard maker Sarki, Narayan and Arjun working in the shop. They are all great Kamis who does quality work for HI.
For now we will continue to work with our old and few new Kamis.
I sincerley hope this answers all your questions regarding Kami marks and sign.

When Yangdu wrote "Star is a mark designating Himalayan Imports", I think she is referring to the circle with the lines radiating from it (like a simplified state flag for New Mexico), as pictured in the examples below:

Here are a few pictures I have of mine at the moment.

Bura
DSCF0221bb.jpg

Sher
DSCF0225bb.jpg

Kumar
DSCF0223bb.jpg

Vim
DSCF0218bb.jpg

Dil (first one is his early mark)
DSCF0230ab.jpg

DSCF0191bb.jpg

SGT does not have a mark and does not work for HI, sometimes HI buys his kukris to sell.

Back