Kansei Matsuno from Japan

Kansei Knives

I had the pleasure of handling several knives from this maker. They were all small (very small to me) gentleman's knives. Fit and finish were outstanding, and the materials used were all of the finest quality. Prices ranged from the low $400's USD to the high $800's USD for knives with Cowry-Y or Damascus blades and handle treatments from "simple" stag to more exotic exquisite scale materials. If I were in the market for a knife with a ~2 1/2 inch blade in this style, I would have gladly taken one home with me.

I would encourage you to take the time and stop by his table next time you are at show that he is attending.

I have owned 3 different Kansei knives over the past 4 years. Although I do not currently own one, all I have handled and seen have been well-executed technically, and all of them quite artful, with a just a few exceptions.

Kansei is one of the few makers that employs synthetic materials (G-10 and Micarta) in his knives with the same reverence and delicacy that most makers apply only to natural materials.

Indeed, most are very small, which means that you need relatively small hands if you are going to carry and use them. He keeps his unique sleeved rotating thumbstud very close to the pivot point which can make opening the knife awkward if you have medium to large hands, or big thumbs, which I apparently have been blessed with.

Although some of his nicest designs (visually) are liner-lock designs, he makes superior frame locks, with a nice bug-wing clip.

His knives are pretty affordable considering the exceptionally clean grind and finish work, use of an interesting pivot, employment of a unique thumbstud and the thoughtfulness and care used in every step of the process.

Have a couple of Kansei knives.Great fit and finish and a bargain in my opinion.
Randy

Back