Kapara?

I’ve been really interested in the Spyderco Kapara. Does anyone have any personal experience with it? Is it worth it?

It's a great knife, I really enjoy it.
What do you mean by worth it ?

It's smooth rounded handle makes a good comfortable carry.
My only complaint is the compression lock pinches my finger sometimes.

I’ve been really interested in the Spyderco Kapara. Does anyone have any personal experience with it? Is it worth it?

Hi Bryce. Scroll through the first couple pages. We have covered this, a few times.

It's a Awesome knife! Some really good info on the other threads

A while back a dude was looking for carbon fibber spyderco and I recommended it and got booed as "not worth it for S30V" at 200 bucks.

I think it's a cool piece. Has compression lock, blade-knuckle clearance so good for kitchen-y tasks. Also good slicey grind.

That being said, I dont own one and will only buy it if it's on sale :p, I'd spring for one for maybe around 160.

It's a wonderful design and well executed. The carbon fiber is top notch. Would love to see it in 204p or a similar stainless.

OP: As Sal noted, the answer is personal and relative to your financial situation and your interest in/need for the knife.

Will buying a Kapara at $203 MAP from a dealer (or for less off of the Exchange) be worth it to you?

Only you can answer that.

As for the knife itself, I really can't say much because I don't own one.

It's a "nice looking" knife that many people like and some people rave about BUT it has always been a "pass" for me, because it does NOT check off any of the boxes that get me excited and because I have so many other knives that can do what it can do.

You'll have to decide for yourself if the knife will suit your needs and/or purposes and if the price is something that you can afford.

Just remember that if you buy it and it doesn't work for you, it should be easy to sell it w/o losing much (if any) $ on it here on the BF Exchange, as soon as you become a paying member of the Forum; the membership fees are nominal.

Good luck! ;)

Last edited:
Definitely "worth it," in my opinion. I've owned one for several months. It took a little while to grow on me--I tend to prefer more rugged looking knives like the Endura for example, but the more I use the Kapara the better I like it. At present I can barely bring myself to touch any of my other knives (and I have a lot of beauties). It's that good. I love the ergos, both for carry and in the hand. I hate when the knife pocket is shredded on an otherwise perfectly good pair of jeans! The Kapara's rounded CF scales (which somehow manage to be both smooth and grippy) and the wire pocket clip along with the lack of jimping mean that there is virtually zero wear and tear on the pocket edge. When using the knife, I can comfortably put my hand right up on the blade in a thumb & forefinger pinch grip, middle finger on the choil, for pairing knife work or delicate cutting tasks. It performs beautifully against a cutting board when held like this, better than any folder I've used and yet I can also move my hand back and get a locked-in 4 finger grip that is safely away from the edge for heavy duty work. The compression lock works flawlessly. Even as a lefty I can operate it intuitively and it can be deployed as fast as an auto, if that matters. As for the blade, just the right amount of belly and a surprising amount of edge. It's noticeably more compact than my Endura, yet they have the same amount of blade. Since getting mine I've carried it every day, put it to substantial use around my little homestead/farm and in the kitchen (I'm a professional cook among other things) and it still looks and performs like new with perfect centering, tight lock up and smooth deployment. Regular touch ups on the Sharpmaker have kept it super sharp. The only negative for me is I wish it was available a more premium steel. That said, they did a great job on the S30V for this one. YMMV, but I'm really enjoying this knife.

^^^____ Now that is a solid endorsement! I have one that is sitting in the box that I have not really started to use. I also agree that a more premium steel would be great but S30V is very serviceable. I was thinking about selling mine but now I'm thinking that I need to take it for a spin this week.

I'm with E Evany ..
The Kapara checks a lot of boxes, for a lot of reasons.
Slim, gentleman's, a ton of cutting edge, for it's size, and very comfortable in hand and pocket.
From a 32oz prime rib, dinner knife.. To laying carpet...

With that said. I took a few steps, to make it mine.
vO8aofL.jpg

I'll get more pics, tomorrow. (Apparently, not all my pics transfered to this phone.)

I like the smooth, none pocket killing.. but grip, where I want it..
Also took the hump off the spine, to make it narrower, when closed..
qGtTwf3.jpg

Also, some relief, for more natural feeling Spydie flick..
GGHvIZ7.jpg

Acid etch'd the blade and liner's (which gave a touch of finger grip, to the compression lock tab.
OurPr5R.jpg

The back hardware were etch'd, as well..
FeBWXxj.jpg

For the quality of materials, workmanship and function of the knife, yes it’s worth it. That can be said for whichever Spyderco catches your eye.

If you’re looking for a full size gentleman’s knife or a light to moderate EDC, it’s awesome.

It look more delicate than it really is. I'd venture that it's about the same robustness as a Paramilitary 2. Thinner blade stock at the base, but probably a stronger tip.

I thought everything was great except the space to disengage the lock. The tab is much larger, or rather there's more access to it on the Para 2 and 3, and because the handle is so thin there there's not much to grab into while pinching to close. I sold mine because of that.

When i first got mine I was a bit underwhelmed, agreed with es335 about the lock cutout, and the whole package seemed a bit too fancy for me. However carrying and using it every day it started to grow on me more and more. Now I don't use much else--I try to swap to an Endura on the occasions when I know I'm going to be hard on my knife, for example harvesting Ramps (wild leeks that are just coming into their brief season where I live). I cut them off below the surface of the soil--I feel like the Endura doesn't mind a few scratches on the blade while the Kapara--well I just want to keep it nice as long as I can.

So I just received my new kapara CF and upon initial inspection, this is a very nice spyderco. I'm impressed so far. Time will tell....

Back