Kaparas are coming back in stock

Bought one and sold it.

Kinda regretted moving it and have another one on the way.

Just picked one up and it’s impeccable. Drops shut effortlessly, perfectly centered, feels great in hand. I had read that it feels and looks nicer in person, but even so I underestimated it. Very impressed.

Sold my first generation for a $50 loss and got the CQI version. Well worth the loss I took. Such a fantastic knife. My 940-1 may have to go now as I’m not a collector.

Sold my first generation for a $50 loss and got the CQI version. Well worth the loss I took. Such a fantastic knife. My 940-1 may have to go now as I’m not a collector.
I admit, the CQI Kapara has pushed my 940-1 aside. Only time will tell if I miss the S90V steel or not.

How to tell if a dealer is selling the old version or the CQI version? Do dealers mark it explicitly?

Just got a Kapara. Now I have to decide whether to keep it. I like a lot about it, but I'm not sure I like it more than my SpydieChef, so I wonder if it it's redundant in my collection, since those two seem pretty similar.

Similar in that both are folders made by Spyderco ;) Other than that, they look VERY different to me.

Similar in that both are folders made by Spyderco ;) Other than that, they look VERY different to me.
I get that. For me, they’re similar in how and when I’d use them. Both seem designed for light EDC and with food prep in mind — Alistair Philips said he designed the Kapara to assist him with slicing vegetables. The SpydieChef is great for that purpose too, for a folding knife — and it has “Chef” in its name. Both seem intended as good slicers that put a good portion of edge onto the cutting board, although now having both I see the SpydieChef does that better.

They’re similar in cutting edge length, blade stock, handle length, pocket presence, clip design, and weight, plus they both exhibit the upper echelon of Spyderco Taichung production quality. I’m not saying their appreance is similar. I intend to use all my knives, and I think I’d reach for one or the other for similar uses. Trying to figure out if I’m that light, I want to keep the Kapara. That’s what I meant to say.

I thought I’d like the grip of the Kapara more than I do. Maybe I need to get used to it. It’s not as thin behind the edge as the SpydieChef, but I haven’t put it to use yet. I also thought I’d really like the compression lock on the Kapara. The skinny handle makes it a little awkward to use with my XL hand, and overall the action is pretty similar between the two.

Last edited:
I have been eying the Kapara for awhile...and I ordered one from DLT yesterday.
I look forward to seeing if it can compete with my Lil Native for EDC use.
My birthday is tomorrow so that is my present. I am glad it will have better action
than the first run.

I will post my thoughts on it soon!

I went nuts with the Sharpmaker on the Lil Native just now. I spent 18 minutes
as opposed to the more normal a few minutes because I really stretched the interval
until sharpening. 2 tiny micro chips at the tip, it still shaved. Now it is insanely sharp!
I love Spyderco S30V!!! And the sweet factory grinds. I expect the Kapara will be
easy to maintain too. I am anxious to see how well that thin blade cuts!

Just got the Kapara...here are my first impressions:
It looks much nicer in person...and it does not feel like a
Spyderco. Aside from the cutting edge everything feels soft and expensive..
Action and centering...perfect. The lock requires heavy pressure to release
which is the only nit I can pick.
It is a bit bigger than I thought it would be too...which I like.

But the feel...it is luxurious in hand and the polishing and fit and finish are
just spectacular...next level. I have handled midtechs this knife completely
outclasses. I don't say this lightly...if you are reading this BUY IT NOW!
The pictures do not convey what this epic/legend/superb knife is.
It is ridiculously good. If you don't buy it because you think it is ugly (and
this is where I was) and a friend gets one and you handle it...you will be
horrified at your error in judgement. Don't wait. Thank me later.

It is funny...I really hate the 940. I have handled many of them and I intensely dislike
the way they feel in hand. Too thin and dainty yet also unwieldy. I am fully aware they
have a cult following and that many love them. The Kapara is so much more bang for the
buck and is finished and made so well I don't consider the 2 knives to be remotely comparable
except for size and one handed use.
I have a couple 710-1401 knives that are very sweet. But heavy.

Just got the Kapara...here are my first impressions:
It looks much nicer in person...and it does not feel like a
Spyderco. Aside from the cutting edge everything feels soft and expensive..
Action and centering...perfect. The lock requires heavy pressure to release
which is the only nit I can pick.
It is a bit bigger than I thought it would be too...which I like.

But the feel...it is luxurious in hand and the polishing and fit and finish are
just spectacular...next level. I have handled midtechs this knife completely
outclasses. I don't say this lightly...if you are reading this BUY IT NOW!
The pictures do not convey what this epic/legend/superb knife is.
It is ridiculously good. If you don't buy it because you think it is ugly (and
this is where I was) and a friend gets one and you handle it...you will be
horrified at your error in judgement. Don't wait. Thank me later.

Lock shouldn't require heavy pressure. If you have to break it free I'd return it and get one where that's not the case.

Lock shouldn't require heavy pressure. If you have to break it free I'd return it and get one where that's not the case.
It is not sticking. It requires more pressure than a Para 2. The Shaman also has
a pretty heavy comp lock.

Back