1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Katana appraisers in Pacific North West or Canada West coast? How old are these?

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by bleaches, Apr 20, 2018.

1. bleaches

bleaches

Apr 20, 2018
    These have been in my family for over 4 generations now and I have always been wondering how old they are and what they are worth. These have been used since there are wear marks on them. One of them is quite a bit thicker along the spine of the whole blade. Over the years one of the two tantos were stolen (it had gold and jems on the scabbard and grip.) But these three have otherwise been in our family's possession for quite some time. Sitting in humid Taiwanese tropical air for the last three generations of our family at least. Have a look and let me know what you think.

One of the scabbards seem to have been wrapped in ray skin and then lacquered over. I have talked to a few sword and armor shops in Japan and they have told me the know how to achieve this has been lost. Wonder if that is true.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Sorry your pictures are not showing.

3. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Go to this thread and read post number 11. It will tell you how to post pics in this forum.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/whats-with-please-email-for-pictures.1539365/

4. SouthernComfort

SouthernComfort

Dec 8, 2011
  5. bleaches

bleaches

Apr 20, 2018
    I've tried re hosting it onto Imgur. Let me know if you guys can see them or not please.

6. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    The pics show for me :)

~Chip

bleaches likes this.
  7. bleaches

bleaches

Apr 20, 2018
    I didn't punch the pin out last time to check the tang I was back home because the pins seem to have rotten pretty badly. I might do it next time i go back.

8. bleaches

bleaches

Apr 20, 2018
    The thinner one seems to be from imperial japan era but the tsuba seems too simple to be it.

9. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    The Sword makers Chop is on the Tang and sometimes it just the shape of the tang. I sold one on consignment like that. Don’t worry about the Saya/Scabbards. If they are a couple of hundred years old. The Furniture/Saya may have been replaced several times .. .. what matters are the blades. There is a Japanese Sword Society. Google them and send pics with the bare tang and full length of the blades..The man I knew that could read the chops & Origami / Paper work I had on my consignment blades has passed on so, I really can’t help more than this.. good luck!

10. bleaches

bleaches

Apr 20, 2018
    Thanks! Hopefully more people will have insight as well. I found the Canadian Japanese Sword Society but they are way out in the East Coast.

11. SouthernComfort

SouthernComfort

Dec 8, 2011
    Unfortunately, the photos you have provided are not sufficient to provide any pertinent information regarding the swords.
    The mekugi pins will have to be removed, along with the tsuka or handles in order to reveal the mei and nengo if there are any. This is crucial for identification.

From the photos you posted, the koshirae and tosogu look to be mismatched or pieced together and of poor quality and condition. I would like to see the blades in their entirety before discussing them further.

Please read this article, it will help you obtain proper photos for identification: http://yakiba.com/Article_PhotoTips.htm

12. bleaches

bleaches

Apr 20, 2018
    Thanks. I will probably be able to take better pictures next time I visit family in Asia.