1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

katana for around 100 t0 150 bucks

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by DanDonovan, Jun 2, 2012.

1. DanDonovan

DanDonovan Banned BANNED

Mar 25, 2012
    it we be a great help if could recommend me some katanas for 100 to 150 bucks

2. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Hanwei has a few around that price range. You can get the tactical series, practical series, and raptor series, at that price point. Maybe a Cheness too.

What are you looking to do with said katana? Do you need it to be functional or pretty?

3. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    IMHO the best value in the LOW END katana is the Musashi Bamboo Warrior. it has great construction, and is suitable for light cutting.

It is also the lowest cost katana with a genuine DH created Hamon line.

If you are looking for a hard use blade the Hanwei Tactical Katana is built like a tank and will stand up to pretty much anything a more expensive katana will

4. SShepherd

SShepherd

Nov 23, 2003
    what do you base this on ?

5. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    the fact that i have used my hanwei tac katana as a machete and cleared brush, limbs and small trees with it... i have seen similar things done with more expensive katanas that resulted in set edges...

can't say what a VERY expensive katana would do, but i know that a 3 or 400 dollar DH katana will take damage using it as a garden tool... the Tac will not

of course, this is ONLY based on my experience. I have been known to be wrong in the past, so another occurrence of the same would not surprise me

6. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    It IS made out of 5160 steel, which is very durable. Also, since they aren't that expensive, they'll take a lot of abuse that you'd never put a "real" sword to.

That being said, they come with a so-so edge, and will never be able to compete with a well-made katana that's more expensive in terms of sheer cutting ability, even with a decent edge put on the blade. That's why I ask what you're looking for in the blade. But, for just a fun, durable katana-like-object, they're pretty darn cool. I have a pair of the Tac Waks, and I do love them.

7. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    until i can get myself a Swamp Rat waki, my tactical waki is my go to shtf blade

8. SShepherd

SShepherd

Nov 23, 2003
    and thats the "sticky wicket" as they say

The shape is crap for clearing "clearing brush like a machete". The more you get away from the heavy SLO, $100 sword the more you get to what a sword should handle and feel like. The other Variable here is the user. Yes, the raptor series is made from 5160 to handle the abuse of crappy cuts and new users and for that reason the edge geometry is very robust and as some have said not as sharp as it should be.

9. dust.

dust.

Mar 25, 2012
    If I'm looking for pretty and pretty damn sharp, what would you recommend? I have other knives/tools for hard use.

10. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Personally for 150 dollars I'd recommend buying some books and studying what a katana is.

11. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Don't see this as being particularly helpful really. The guy want's a katana under 150... there are LOTS of S.L.O's out there that much satisfy that urge

Musashi makes a good dozen offerings in that price range that are at least marginally usable

12. dust.

dust.

Mar 25, 2012
    Yes thank you for that.

13. Triton

Aug 8, 2000
    You can't buy a katana for 150 dollars. If you think you can you could benefit from study. After that study I'd be surprised if a 150 dollar katana was still wanted.

You are correct however, I probably should have just kept that opinion to myself. For years there have been hundreds of questions about "what's the best katanaesque object that I can get for <insert ridiculously low dollar amount>. Perhaps the only way to learn is by experience. Sometimes it bothers me more than other times. I will try to rein in those instincts.

14. SShepherd

SShepherd

Nov 23, 2003
    :thumbup::thumbup:

15. SShepherd

SShepherd

Nov 23, 2003
    actually, I think you're spot on.

16. Triton

Aug 8, 2000
    Thanks, a few people might think that now, a few more will after they've had that experience. :)

17. dust.

dust.

Mar 25, 2012
    Hmm ok then. For what reason are "real" katanas so expensive? Material, labor, please educate me. I just started getting into them so I'm not too knowledgeable. Also, I am still looking to purchase one and I'm not trying to break the bank so what would you suggest?

18. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010

This one is a big bag of worms... yes, material, labor, sheer value of experience... and a HUGE difference in overall quality

The cheaper swords are usually made by machines and finished (if at all) by unskilled workers on assembly lines

Top shelf katanas are made by individuals with decades of training and experience in a painstaking process of perfected art.

The difference between a machine made katana for $100 and a custom blade is the same as the difference between a poster of van goghs starry night, and the actual painting

That said, a poster of starry night on your wall is certainly not a bad thing to have if that's your bag

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  19. dust.

dust.

Mar 25, 2012
    Ok I hope that means that a lower end katana, let's say a Hanwei raptor, tactical, practical, etc., is just fine for a first timer. Right?

20. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    again, that's going to depend on what you want with it... if you want to learn tameshigiri, i'd MUCH rather use a Hanwei than a $3000 katana...

as i said above, there are plenty of lower end katanas that will do for a beginner. Don't let the elitists throw you off.

go to Sword Buyers Guide online and find something that has good reviews and is tested to do what YOU want to do.