Katana Identify Help

I called the Knife Shop that sold me the fake sword. They had sold it on consignment. I told them it was fake. I thought the chances of me getting any money back were slim to none...

Amazingly, today they gave me a 100% refund! ($963!) Very honorable of them!

When I am in the market again for buying a sword - in addition to doing some more research, more importantly I will buy through a recognized knowledgeable dealer.

Maybe like this one:
https://yuhindo.com/

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

That's great news! I don't know if I would call it a fake unless they were selling it as a genuine antique sword. Instead, it is what it is, a low quality piece with a rather impressive price tag.

Ed is good people. Always get good comments about him, if you are looking for a good deal that is one of the places to check out (he posted his link to Yakiba.com)
Darcy (Yuhindo) is way up there. When you are buying at that level, you know you are in good hands and buying the best. Also a great educational site. Just read his descriptions, look at his pics, and you will learn a lot.
Rich S is the grand daddy of online Nihonto knowledge. Japaneseswordindex is great to learn from, and is one of the first places you should spend time on.
There is some good advice in this thread on where to start.

The links of the OP appear to be dead. Could the OP or a mod put the original photos up for future reference? One other comment on the Yakiba site, great inventory but could you ask him to lose the blue font? Almost unreadable, especially to old farts like me.

Sigp210-
Rich S is the grand daddy of online Nihonto knowledge. Japaneseswordindex is great to learn from, and is one of the first places you should spend time on.

Thanks, but not a grand daddy, just an old geezer had 5 dogs and one cat.:)
Rich S

Last edited:
One other comment on the Yakiba site, great inventory but could you ask him to lose the blue font? Almost unreadable, especially to old farts like me.
LOL, in twenty years you are the first to complain about the blue text. I don't do it deliberately, when I add hyperlinks to additional information, it automatically produces the blue colored text. I just never bothered to change it.

I do add red and light blue text :D

Katana is a Japanese sword characterized by a curved, single-edged blade with a circular or squared guard and long grip to accommodate two hands.

Katana is a Japanese sword characterized by a curved, single-edged blade with a circular or squared guard and long grip to accommodate two hands.

Oh ya? Well a Ken is a Japanese sword characterized by a STRAIGHT, DOUBLE-EDGE blade with a circular or squared guard and a SHORT grip to accommodate ONE hand! o_O

Back