Katana & Kukri....

What are the possibilities of there ever being a Busse Basic Kukri or better yet, a small katana, a la the Blackwind by Ontario.
I know there was a small sword offered in the past, but it was custom and I think before the time of INFI.
A Kukri and a 20" katana (with 10" handle.... both of resiprene C in the Basics fashion also with modified INFI) would complete my carry set and all could be consistent as far as materials and brand!!!!
The Basic #9 could replace the Kukri, but a real kukri style Basic would be nice and the katana would be the bomb!

What are the odds....?

Orion

I would like to see a full INFI khukuri but you are talking a lot of steel for that. About 1/2" stock with a 12"-15" blade and a full convex grind on a very wide blade shape like the Salyan that HI offers. In the mean time a Battle Mistress with a handle offset from the blade would be nice.

-Cliff

We have totally redesigned the Battle Mistress and Steel Heart II with an enormous amount of drop in the handle and a much more ergonomic grip. The blade shape has also been redesigned and will look similar to the Steel Heart II. It should be out soon.

Jerry Busse

I have searched the world over for the perfect katana made from the perfect steel. I think a stocky katana with a blade made from 1/2" stock INFI, about 2 inches wide at the base with a slight taper and about a 23 degree curve, a bevel that begins in the middle of the blade rather than starting from the spine, (which seems to be the current trend in knife making now). It would need an elongated kissaki or tip. Non of this chisel point stuff but a true japanese style kissak, though on this sword, the (Perfect Katana), it would have to be about 3" to 3 1/2" long for quick slashing movements. The total cutting edge should be 23 3/4" to 24" from base to the end of the point. Small stainless steel oval tsuba style guard and rounded over stainless fuchi/kashira or handle collar and pomel. With a resin ipregnated tsuka or handle covered in diamond checkered kraton. Handle length should be about 11" to 11 1/2" inches for optimum control for any size person considering the original katanas where not designed for westerners. Add a fuller that reaches the entire length of the blade for improved withdrawl from impailing blows and add a nice cordura sheath and you have the perfect Katana for any style, taste, or preference. The Busse guys ought to make this one a reality and give me one for free for comming up with the design. (laughing)...

Back