KBAC 24D Fuse?

Hi,

I recently made a disk grinder with a kbacd 24d, and it’s been working great. However, today when I went to turn it on, there was a pop and the unit died. I opened it up, and it defiantly looks like something popped in the bottom right corner(black soot), but I’m not quite sure there are any fuses in there. Any idea what may have blown on it, and if it’s fixable? I’ll try and figure out how to send a photo

Thanks

+1 for above advice.

Sounds like a capacitor popped. It happens. Call the company.

I appreciate the advice, just contacted them. I think maybe because I left the switch in the forward/reverse position, rather then common, it may have been the cause to the blown capacitor? Just don't want to blow anything else again!

I appreciate the advice, just contacted them. I think maybe because I left the switch in the forward/reverse position, rather then common, it may have been the cause to the blown capacitor? Just don't want to blow anything else again!
I doubt that, mine would have blown up a long time ago if that was the case. It could be just random. Maybe some metal dust got in it? Did you use NEMA 4 cable glands for the wires?

If you want to post a photo, there is a thread somewhere in the stickies that explains how. Easiest way seems to be to go to imgur.com, create a new post and upload the picture. You can then link it in the editor by clicking on the image icon and pasting the URL for the image in the pop-up dialog. I right-click on the image on imgur.com and select "Copy image address" from the menu and then just paste that into the Image URL field.

I'll see what KD says, hopefully it ain't an expensive fix! Didn't use NEMA glands, but did seal them up pretty good with duct seal. Only used it a handful amount of times since I got it 2 weeks ago

I had a kbac 24 give out on me after 2 weeks. I sent it in for repair and they called me and said warranty wouldn’t cover it. It was only a $15 repair, but still, pretty terrible customer service if you ask me.

I contacted them with a photo, and they said that electrical damage isn't covered by warranty, only physical damage. I was pretty shocked to hear that, and expected a better customer service/warranty from the go to VFD company. Wiring something wrong is one thing, but a fault in the board should be covered in my book. A repair will cost $35, or if I need a new board, $90. Better than spending $300 on a new unit again, so hopefully we don't have any other problems!

I contacted them with a photo, and they said that electrical damage isn't covered by warranty, only physical damage. I was pretty shocked to hear that, and expected a better customer service/warranty from the go to VFD company. Wiring something wrong is one thing, but a fault in the board should be covered in my book. A repair will cost $35, or if I need a new board, $90. Better than spending $300 on a new unit again, so hopefully we don't have any other problems!

Plus shipping both ways ?

I had a kbac 24 give out on me after 2 weeks. I sent it in for repair and they called me and said warranty wouldn’t cover it. It was only a $15 repair, but still, pretty terrible customer service if you ask me.
That seems odd.
It costs us about 15$ just to take a box from the UPS, log it in, set on the bench, open it up to see whats inside.
Nevermind diagnosis and fixing it.

That's why I like the cheap Chinese VFDs for hobby use, just put a decent filter over the air inlets and they tend to last 5 or more years. Then if they do go bad, just spend another $60 to $80 for a new unit rather than worry about repair. They also seem to be very easy to program.

Back