1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

KDSH Variants?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by zombieassassin, May 19, 2016.

1. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Any Rats know just how many different versions of the Kill Devil Sniper Hawk there are? I just received one and it doesn't seem to look like a Standard KDSH. It is cord wrapped, with holes I guess for a riveted micarta or G10 handle. Thats what throws me off a bit. Most of the cord wrapped ones I've seen like Ogers are solid with no holes. Is the one I have a Ganzaa Hawk that they maybe didn't have time to put handles on and cord wrapped it instead? And the pry tip and spike tip are pretty much blunt leaving no tip at all. Just curious, I plan to use the crap out of it and am not too concerned, but wanted to know if there is more information I can gather about this awesome Hawk.

2. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I haven't seen one like you describe, and it sounds different than the versions I'm aware of, which are:

-the micarta-handled hawks straight from the shop.
    -the cord-wrapped ganza hawks.
    -the flat-back hawks that I believe were offered in a ganza.

Is there any chance that yours is a shop hawk with the scales removed aftermarket?

3. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Also, does it have the recessed cutouts in the handle like the wrapped hawks?

4. zombieassassin

Feb 1, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope this helps Knocks

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  5. zombieassassin

Feb 1, 2015
    Don't get me wrong....I love this chunk of SR101. ...and I paid very little for it versus the current exchange rate for them new. I immediately unwrapped the paracord and began chopping and stabbing with it. It works great for my intended purpose for it, truck Hawk. I was mostly looking to get the same kind that Oger had in his vids.

6. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    It does, in that I can say I have never seen one like that before. Like you described, it appears to be a model that was intended to have the micarta scales but never got them. That sucker would make an excellent throwing hawk!!

Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe Josh or one of the other Rats can shed some light on this one. Congrats, though, it is a very cool hawk!

7. zombieassassin

Feb 1, 2015
    Thanks....you took the thoughts right outta my head....it will be an excellent thrower. And see much use. Not what I expected, but still very pleased with it. Just gives me a reason to buy another.....lol.

8. Lance23

Lance23

Jul 24, 2014
    Speaking of KDSH I've got a set a bruiser scales coming off in the next few days and there's a hog out here that's lain claim to em.

I'm interested in how it feels nekkid.
    The balance is a little off to me the way it sits.

Thinking of making up some DIY "micarta" scales to replace these literal hand bruisers.

9. zombieassassin

Feb 1, 2015
    Withdrawn.

10. Hindsight

Hindsight Moderator Moderator

Dec 8, 2011
    Zombie that is a great score. That is from a small run of hawks. The standard hawk handles will not fit the hole pattern of your hawk.

11. zombieassassin

Feb 1, 2015
    Thanks Hindsight. It definitely is nice. I plan to keep it just as shown and use gloves. It'll be thrown and used as a pry bar.