Keen Kutter hatchet question of origin??

Here is a very clean keen kutter Haines pattern I found at a local junk shop about two weeks ago. I was looking over it and realized most of them I have had/seen have the “embossed logo” on them. This one has been engraved with straight lettering. I have heard of fakes being out there but the quality of the hatchet and there not being any other markings on the piece leads me to believe it is an original.

I also remember reading that Keen Kutter was not an “axe company”,if you will, it was a name brand placed on axes. They were made by other manufacturers. I am thinking this may have been produced by an axe company that had a short run of these hatchets and did not want to go to the trouble of making a complete die or mold for the embossed logo.

My question is am I right in my thinking? If so I wonder which company made the hatchet? I have not found another example of this logo on the internet. If you have a similar logo please post it. Thank you for everyone’s input and I will look forward to hearing your opinions!

Some relevant details from the Simmons Keen Kutter catalog dated 1939:

On page 832 there are two double-bit axes shown. One is said to have the "KEEN KUTTER trade mark die stamped on head." The other one is described as having the KEEN KUTTER trade mark etched in deep." So this is evidence that Simmons was using both methods (die stamping, and etching) on their axe heads, as late as 1939.

However, for the KEEN KUTTER hatchets on page 847 (including the broad hatchets), the catalog specifies "KEEN KUTTER trade-mark etched on gold bronzed background."

So if this means your hatchet was made before 1939, it doesn't narrow it down much, since "Simmons Hardware Company was purchased by arch rival Shapleigh Hardware Company (also of St. Louis) in 1940... After Shapleigh acquired the Keen Kutter trademark it was modified by replacing the "E.C. Simmons" in the top of the logo with Shapleigh's", according to Wikipedia.

That's all I got... nothing significant about which manufacturer actually made that particular broad hatchet.

That was a lot of viable information though thank you!! I had read that keen Kutter was trademarked under Shapleighs 1940 until 1962 maybe? When it went to another trademark. I am glad to hear there is evidence of etchings though!! Thank you again!

I also have this double bit head. Looking through some of some my inventory I saw this. I’m not really sure how it crossed my path. Most like a garage sale. But it is an example of another example of a different type of logo. I also have a jersey pattern on a straight handle with this same type of marking. Are these common?

Back