Keith Coleman Knives

I am looking for feedback on the quality of Coleman knives. His products are reasonably priced and the quality looks to be there. Anyone have any input?

Thanks for the encouraging words UglyJim! Helps to confirm my choice. Presently got my eye on his Banshee w/mokume bolsters,desert ironwood & BG-42. Should be a beauty!

Ditto AKshooter, all my contact has been extremely positive. Seems like a real class act. Let you know when I get my Banshee (May delivery).
[This message has been edited by blademan 13 (edited 01-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by blademan 13 (edited 01-27-2000).]

I’ve got one of Keith’s S.U.V. folders with cocobolo scales and I love it. The fit and finish are impeccable…easily equivalent to other custom folders I own that cost much more. The lockup is solid, and the blade is a great shape for general utility cutting. I think Coleman knives are some of the best values in the custom arena…I’m seriously considering getting one of his “Warlock” folders.

Jim

Haven't picked up one of Keith's knives...yet. Spoke with him on the phone about his TacII model. Very friendly and informative conversation. I'm getting mine with BG-42.

------------------
fortuna favet fortibus

I have a deluxe folder from Keith. I forget the name of the model. But it is damascus with horn handles. Excellent work. Definately an underated maker in my mind.

Hi Blademan 13,
A few weeks ago I was admiring my various "Customs", and trying to decide why I liked some of them more than others. I realized that certain features just appealed to me more than others. Just for fun, I made up an informal grading system that awarding points on a scale weighted more towards features that I like, such as: Fancy Filework, Stag or Ivory Handles, Dovetailed Handles, Handle Liners, Mosaic Pins, Tapered Tang, Great Grind Lines, Sharp Edge, Fancy Sheath etc, etc.. I then graded my knives, and the one that came out on top was one by Keith Coleman, a 5.5" Damascus Fixed Blade w'Stag scales, Mosaic Pins, Tapered tang and very nice Vine Pattern file work all around. When I started really scruitinzing his handiwork, It became apparent how impressive his work is. If my knife is representative of his current work, you can't go wrong with this Maker.
Good luck,
Brian

------------------
Brian-The new knife in the Block, and definitely not the sharpest!

I'm really glad that blademan started this thread...it got me thinking about how much I enjoy my Coleman Made SUV. It was just the impetus that I needed to e-mail Keith and place an order for another one of his fine knives. In about eight months I should be the proud owner of Banshee with a twist Damascus blade, mosaic bolsters, and mastodon ivory scales. I think it will be really sweet! Now I just need to start ticking off the days on my calendar...
smile.gif

Jim

Great choice UglyJim! My Banshee should be delivered in May and you can bet it will be posted as this is my first true custom. Yours sounds like a real beauty. This is exactly the kind of positive feedback I was hoping for as I had never personally experienced Keith's work. I was 99% sure I had made the right decision and now that figure is a solid 99.9%. The other 1/10th will have to wait until I get my knife
wink.gif
. Thanks alot for your reply and glad that I stirred up some old desire for Keith's knives but I really hope that you don't plan on sending me the bill for your new one!

Well, I just took delivery of the Banshee that I ordered from Keith last spring and I am awestruck by the beauty of this knife. I made a posting just the other day stating that I wasn't sure if it was possible to obtain absolute perfection in any custom knife...I may have been a little premature in that statement
biggrin.gif
. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to take pictures of this knife...I really wish I could let all of you see Keith's artistry. The Banshee is a medium-sized liner lock folder; the one I received features beautifully colored mastodon ivory scales dovetailed into Eggerling "Spotted Crossroads" mosaic Damascus bolsters, a fileworked drop point blade in twist Damascus and fileworked & engine-turned liners. The action is silky smooth and the lock-up is crisp and secure (like this beauty is gonna see really hard use
wink.gif
). Even though this knife feels great in the hand and boasts an eminently usable design, I'm going to have a hard time bringing myself to use this baby...it's simply too beautiful. I was looking for a modern, dressy version of a "gent's folder"...I received a piece that blurs the distinction between art and fine tools.

I've been a fan of Keith's work for some time (my daily carry is a Coleman SUV folder), but this knife has really exceeded all of my expectations. If you're looking for a tough tactical piece or a sophisticated dress folder, you really owe it to yourself to take a look at Coleman Made Knives. The work is first-rate and a tremendous value...also, Keith is a real gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. I realize that this sounds like the usual hyperbole that you hear from someone in the grip of "new knife fever", but trust me on this one guys...this is really good stuff.

Jim

I thought you might like it UglyJim
biggrin.gif
. The Banshee is an absolutely first class design. While yours is definitely dressier than mine, I got past the "too pretty to use" phase rather quickly and have carried and used the knife quite a bit. More than just a bargain of a knife, a real steal in my book.

Keith is a great guy and a great knifemaker. He made me a CF II with a three and a half inch blade and it's a terrific knife. He was also kind enough to be my sponsor as an honorary member of the Knifemakers Guild.

Keith makes very nice knives at very fair prices. I have a TAC II and a Model II. Each is extremely nice. The Model II approaches absolute perfection in what I like in an everyday knife. Keith delivered on time (9 mo.s at the time) and I was very pleased with each. You cannot go wrong with a Coleman knife...Ed.

I have a friend that lives down the street from me that has a few of Keith's knives large and small versions of the Warlock.
Have to agree with the rest of the gang they are solidly made at a decent price. Excellent work on the ones I have seen.

------------------
" The real art of living is too keep alive the longing in human beings to become greater versions of themselves." Laurens Van der Post.
In memory of James Mattis

Have a Keith Coleman Tac II and couldn't be happier with the knife. I looked at custom folders for quite some time before deciding, and narrowed it down to a Carson model 4 and a Coleman Tac II. Liked the blade of the Tac II a little better and it seemed to have more of a curved handle. Best custom purchase I have made. It has been well used and the bolsters show a lot of wear, but the blade has preformed well, albeit for ATS34. Don't ever start carring a D2 RJ Martin blade, nothing else will ever measure up.

Keith's knives are way underrated.

------------------
"Women bring life into the world
and much death, for they sway the
destinies of men." -Anneas

Agree 100% Keith is a fine gentleman as well as an outstanding knifemaker. I asked him about his folders recently and found him to be very helpful and accomodating.

Like one forumite mentioned, his knives are way under-appreciated. Having said that, I hope they don't 'discover' his knives until I get a chance to order mine
wink.gif
I am torn between the TAC II and CFII - from past experience with these things, I know I'll probably end up getting both....

Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Ditto that, Red, he seems a super nice guy and I was torn between those 2 and the Warlock...still scratching head
smile.gif

Back