1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Kellam Puukko and a pot hanger a la R. Mears

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by martineden, Jun 21, 2012.

1. martineden

martineden

Jun 26, 2007
    Today I want to make a pot hanger a la Ray Mears. I will use my Kellam Puukko, here whit my Vic Ranger for comparison
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let’s make the pot hanger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Detail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let’s continue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Three different positions available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any detailed pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This knife doesn’t appeal me too much (don’t know why), but I must admit that it works well. The handle is pretty comfortable, the scandi blade is highly efficient on carving woods.
    Regards,
    Alfredo

2. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Nice practice session Alfredo.
    I like that puuko too. What is it that you don't like about it?

3. martineden

martineden

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks tek77.
    I don't like the "rude" grade of workmanship about this knife, it seems to me "just a blade plus an handle" if you understand what I mean :)

4. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    Kellam knives are made using Lauri blades. Why not buy your own Lauri blades and start making your own customized Puukkos?

I have a Kellam Wolverine, and it is a great knife, but I discovered that the same blade is sold as the Lauri PT blade for US$19. Since that discovery, I have been making my own puukkos and work knives using Lauri blanks.

(great photos btw. Nice view you have from your back yard!)

5. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    i have the Wolverine and Puukko too great knives they really hold a edge

6. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Those "Kellams" (i.e., rebranded Ahtis) are pretty good knives. If you like the puukko design, but that particular specimen leaves you cold, you might consider stepping up to the custom, handcrafted versions. I have three, and each one is superior to the Ahti I used to have.

Pekka Tuominen
    [​IMG]

Joonas Kallioniemi
    [​IMG]

Mikko Inkeroinen
    [​IMG]

7. martineden

martineden

Jun 26, 2007
    Thnaks to you. I'm not saying the Kellam Pukko is a bad knife, he just leave me cold.
    @kamagong: great pukkos you have there. I just bought a Kallioniemi, hope will be bautiful like your!

8. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Cool, good job bud. I made the same set up a few weeks ago. Kind of makes one wonder were Mr. Mears got his info from............ Hats off to anyone actually getting off their butts and doing this stuff.

9. Crewdawg

Crewdawg

Mar 8, 2011
    Very cool! Nice pictures also! :thumbup:

10. Runsalone

Runsalone

Oct 22, 2003
    Is that Birch bark? That is a beautiful knife!

11. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Thanks, the handle is indeed made from birch bark. An awesome material, it has an incredibly luxurious feel.