1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Kentucky derby winner disqualified?!?

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by dirc, May 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    I can't believe they disqualified the winner of the derby, esp. considering he was ahead a length and a half for 95% of the race...

If you saw it, what do you think? Did that last turn deserve a disqualification?

2. pwest

pwest

Apr 10, 2013
    My daughter was there and placed one bet. $5 on Country House!

dirc likes this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I think the infraction was over emphasized as I suspect this happens all the time in horse racing and just part of the program. It was also a very wet track which could have caused some issues.

4. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I didn't see it live but Jerry Bailey was on ESPN this morning and said it was absolutely the right decision. He said that horses veering lanes is where people (and horses) get hurt bad. He said that if the jockey for War of Will hadn't acted immediately, there would have been a pile up.

He was actually kind of upset that it wasn't an immediate Steward's Inquiry as opposed to an appeal. He said they should have taken action before an appeal had to be submitted. Honestly though, on replay its hard to see so I'm not surprised they didn't immediately call it.

Bailey is a Derby winning jockey, BTW, so he has been there done that. I don't know if he has any agenda though (like he likes\dislikes a trainer involved or something--horse racing seems to have some sort of court intrigue attached to everything).

I didn't hear anybody saying it was an intentional foul by the jockey, they think the terrible conditions were to blame.

5. Fuzzy Butkus

Fuzzy Butkus

May 9, 2019
    Isn’t it sad the first thing I thought of were steroids and opiates when I heard about it the next day. Here in Mi. The Detroit mob was big in horse drugging for fun and profit.I thought the horses were in the steroid game. Their athletes. Next the Opiate epidemic. I thought horse were so stressed from roids and race jitters they were using Carfentanyl. Supposed to be 100x stronger than fentanyl.They don’t want to be looked at as breaking a leg in the race. They don’t get a cast. They get a dirt nap..Ends up interference??? Looked like it was making a left turn on a wet muddy tract.Like I Sad they don’t want any serious injuries.lol.From a favorite to a 65 to 1 longshot. Somebody put Down a bundle then” Uh we got a problem”