1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Kephart by Fiddleback Forge

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    This is the new design. I based it on a historical knife by Horace Kephart. His knife was quite boring, and I took some liberties. Its a 4" long blade on 4.5" handle. The steel is my 3D Spalted 01 and the knife is cut from a 1/8" thick bar. The handle is antique canvas micarta with a g-10 whitewall. The pins and bullseye filler are natural canvas micarta. I hope you like her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pialia

pialia

Feb 11, 2012
    I recall you saying that you EDC a 1/8" Bushfinger, and I'm waiting for the next Fiddleback Friday where one of them babies will be in the lineup... but in the meanwhile, how does the Kephart perform in comparison? I see a lot of similarities.

3. ErichM

ErichM Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Nice one Andy, looks great.

Is that an Aeon???

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  4. schmittie

schmittie Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Sweet! I like it!

5. grafton

grafton

Aug 28, 2010
    Nice. Kind of reminds me of a cross between a Bushfinger and a KE Bushie. Old Horace would like it. He and I would like to see one in osage with od green canvas micarta pins/liner......;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. maw

maw Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Gadzooks Andy, I like the looks of that knife! :) It's a real eye catcher for sure. I like the blade shape and length coupled with the handle material combination. It should be quite the wood worker. The blade shape with minimal belly (i.e. spear point) will allow me to finish my cut or shaving without the knife slipping off as opposed to a knife with a very full belly.

You put everything together quite nicely for its debut. I definitely see myself picking up one of these down the road.

What is the width of the blade? It looks to be a little over an inch wide (similar to the Bushfinger and Bushcrafter).

Mark

7. niper

niper

Jun 12, 2012
    Thats nice, I like it :)
    when they going on sale ? :)

8. awestib

awestib Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Nice, like the bushfinger with a bit more "spear point".
    BTW, any knews on my Arete (if I may ask?)?
    Thanks Andy

9. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    I have some cut now. They are ready for grinding. All of the 4" bladed knives handle and perform relatively the same tasks. This one doesn't have as much belly. Less function for skinning maybe.

Mushondt, but I don't know the model.

It is very close to the bushfinger in width, but much more spear pointed.

I'll be making some for sale in the next few weeks.

The Arete had to be re-cut. I have the blades profiled. Sorry. Miffed the grind on the last day. I have a hated dud here that is too ugly to even show.

10. w.t. anderson

w.t. anderson Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Very nice indeed - but I always thought your Bushcrafter was sort of Kephartish.

11. awestib

awestib Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Thanks Andy, no rush!!
    Andy

12. chainring

chainring KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2008
    I like it. Very nice.

13. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Great design Andy!

14. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    very nice looking knife.

15. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Very nice! :thumbup:

16. Stratmeister

Stratmeister

Feb 6, 2009
    Oh yeah, great... A new model I don't have, great... I hate you Andy and I know the feeling is mutual. Is my black
    Palm or Ironwood version ready yet?

17. geargeek

geargeek Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2010
    I like it a lot, great blade shape, but I'd like it even better if it were full height convex from 5/32 stock....

18. Paul Brach

Paul Brach

Aug 8, 2012
    Nice design, Andy. Elegant in its simplicity.

19. netot

netot

Jun 3, 2011
    Very nice

20. pveiled

pveiled

Apr 26, 2012
    Does want. That's really sleek Andy...and so one more knife has been added to my "Fiddleback Must Haves" list.

Congrats on making the idea of a savings account laughable for myself and I'm sure for many others...as the moment I can actually scrape together some spare change I've got to jump back in and get another Fiddleback! Hopefully it'll be soon, and if it were a Fiddleback Kephart that caught my eye, well, I wouldn't be the least bit sad. Looks to be a highly functional knife...especially for woodwork! Top notch ideas and execution as per usual Andy :D