Kephart Design

Discussion in 'Siegle Knives' started by Bill Siegle, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    DSCF7493.JPG With all the recent discussion on the iconic Kephart knife and having been lucky enough to handle an original, I just had to try and make my own version. I tried to incorporate some of the same handle contours in mine as found on the original. I went a little larger on mine in the length and handle thickness but it feels great in my paw :) I used .200 thick 5160 for the blade stock and drilled out the tang for weight reduction. Overall this one is 10 1/16in. The blade is 5 1/16in tip to handle. I used some old black canvas micarta for the scales and brass pins. This should make a great belt knife and will be easy on the belt at 10oz. I will try to get some more pics up this coming weekend but for now this oily pic will have to do.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Bmurray and LukeTheSpook like this.
  2. nutoknives

nutoknives Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2011
    dibbs
    Great work as always

Bill Siegle likes this.
  3. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    No dibs on this one :)

4. nutoknives

nutoknives Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Come on Brother it worked last time
    Thanks again wife cut a big BBQ chicken Breast wid da Camp Beast, she likes so all good , Hope all good wid U and Yours

Bill Siegle likes this.
  5. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    that is a sweet looking knife Bill!

Bill Siegle likes this.
  6. The Warrior

The Warrior ◄►Dubz◄► Moderator Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Looks awesome man...

Bill Siegle likes this.
  7. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I like it!!! I see the reverence for the original, but I also see "your style" in this model!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't wait to see field pics of this one!!!;)

Bill Siegle likes this.
  8. The Warrior

The Warrior ◄►Dubz◄► Moderator Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Waiting for more photos...:D

[​IMG]

9. Bill Siegle

Oct 3, 2000
    [​IMG]

LukeTheSpook likes this.
  10. Bill Siegle

Oct 3, 2000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Stump Buster

Nov 15, 2007
    Really like the contouring on that one Bill! Let us know how you like using it!

Aaaaaaaand, please keep those pics comin'!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. Bill Siegle

Oct 3, 2000
    I really like the feel of this design. I'd never been too excited about the Kephart design until handling the original that recently surfaced. Most on the market today are correct in profile but lack the handle contours of the originals. With the contours, the hand really settles in during use. The handle is tear drop shaped plus tapers with the pommel area being slightly wider than near the guard. The material flares at the guard to keep your hand off the blade. It is totally out of line with blades of its era that seemed blocky and cheap by comparison. I am hoping that with Ethan Becker sharing the blade with so many people at the Blade Show, we might see a little revolution in the current market for the Kephart pattern knives.

protourist likes this.
  13. studio

studio

Jan 14, 2007
    So Damn Cool. After reading the Kephart thread on the Becker side I kept thinkin' to myself, what would Mr. Siegle come up with.

Really great to see you do this pattern.

Reminiscent of 2 Nessmuck patterns from BladeWest 2007/2008?

Now how can we get a SAR4/Kephart/Nessmuck fusion? That's probably a little to ridiculous.

Bill Siegle likes this.
  14. LukeTheSpook

LukeTheSpook Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Love the thick handles and the simplicity of the blade shape.

Bill Siegle likes this.
  15. Stump Buster

Nov 15, 2007
    Hey Bill,

Any performance/handle comfort updates/opinions now that you've had a chance to play with her for a while?

Of course more pics are always appreciated as well.:D

Stump

Bill Siegle likes this.
  16. Bill Siegle

Oct 3, 2000
    No pics but I got it out camping last week and it really worked great! It carves well on some test sticks and batons easily enough. I really enjoyed the handle shape as the contours fit my hand well. Overall I was very pleased with the design. I may try another in a 4inch blade someday:)

Stump Buster likes this.
  17. Stump Buster

Nov 15, 2007
    I was hoping to hear you liked it! I look forward to seeing the "Stubhart" when it's made!!!

Thanks for the update.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bill Siegle likes this.
  18. MR HAPPY

MR HAPPY Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Bill, really looks like such a great interpretation of the Kephart. Love it. That handle looks so comfy. Make up a 4 inch version and do a comparision! :thumbsup: