Photos Kepharts...They just Work

BE - very interesting. I keep getting deeper and deeper into this knife.

Sounds like you need to get the Kephart book or see about getting some time with Ethan.

This thread has some decent stuff about the book. There's been a bit of a resurgence of interest in Kepharts work, which is pretty cool to see. I guess there's a small Kephart history society of some kind too and I think Ethan had conversations with them when designing the knife, or just because of interest in the history.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...oodcraft-reviews.1622739/page-6#post-18591760

I'm not much of a history buff, or fan for that matter, but a few things do intrigue me. Usually the tech, philosophies, and how people operated in the societal conditions are more of interest than the events covered in history classes. Often times, it's interesting how little things have changed in how we operate as people. Or more pertinent, how we still escape the day to day hustle by taking to the woods/nature for some time to get back to our center or learn about our self with "less is more" learning. The pastor of my church states that some people find God/peace in nature so a regular prescription of outdoors activity is good for the soul and mind, and if you have to do a little work while you're out there then the body will grow a little too.

Edit to add: you should probably reserve some times with the knife and you in the woods for a time when you're able to. Let the Kepharts do the teaching too.

Last edited:
Condor Kephart and LT Wright Next Gen

Condor%2520Kephart%2520with%2520JRE%2520Sheath.JPG

LTWK%2520Next%2520Gen%2520Iron%2520Wood.JPG

bikerector bikerector , great post. First off, I had no idea about Mr. Becker's postings. I guess I must be living in my own little world. I'm sure that whole thread is a plethora of knowledge. Everything a guy can read get's you that much further. I'm not trying or necessarily trying to be an expert by any means, just want to know more.
Also, you are 100% right about getting out in Mother Nature. I do it often. One thing I like to do is, in the fall when the temps cool off, I like to take a hike, in the woods, and acclimate my body to the cold.
Anytime I head out to Gods Wild Blue Yonder, I strap on a bushcraft type knife. You never know while out there. Plus, I feel naked without a bushcrafter and a pocket knife.

Condor Kephart and LT Wright Next Gen

Condor%2520Kephart%2520with%2520JRE%2520Sheath.JPG

LTWK%2520Next%2520Gen%2520Iron%2520Wood.JPG

Next gen might be in my future. Really interested to see one in person to compare against my bush baby... which I've taken an odd liking to for such a little guy.

You have quite a looker there. :thumbsup:

The Genesis while perhaps not entirely accurate, is a heck of a knife.
IMG_7746-XL.jpg

For Comparison, here it is next to my Next Gen,
IMG_7727-XL.jpg

Like many people here. I have too many knives. The Genesis has raced by many of them, to become one of my favorite knives.

From kitchen to camp, it excels.

Next gen might be in my future. Really interested to see one in person to compare against my bush baby... which I've taken an odd liking to for such a little guy.

You have quite a looker there. :thumbsup:
The Next Gen is quite heavier than the Condor making the Condor both closer to the original and more handy.

The LTW Bushbsby HC would be a good one to try, not a full size, but sure could be handy.I have the Bushcrafter HC and a Next Gen, but I have not used the Next Gen yet, it as a multi colored G10 (?) handle that feels slick. would love to have the Next Glen in the mountain texture. The kepart style just looks so handy, and purposeful, no thrills, jack of all trades.

There's an LT GNS in 3V for sale down there.

That one was pretty. Sold early this morning. I've been watching for something to slot between my LT 3V bush baby and bushcrafter mark II. Maybe get something that isn't black micarta even. Thumb scallops is really what I'm after.

Remember my custom Kephart in my first post that I said was getting reworked? Well I don't have her back yet but here's an update on her. If you recall she was rear heavy. I had a guy taper the tang and replace the black canvas micarta slabs with green canvas micarta slabs. Also, the black ones were too slick. He took the green ones down to 120. This one is in 3V.
I like the way this one looks now.

That one was pretty. Sold early this morning. I've been watching for something to slot between my LT 3V bush baby and bushcrafter mark II. Maybe get something that isn't black micarta even. Thumb scallops is really what I'm after.
Been very tempted by the GNS convex in 3v... been trying to keep myself from pulling the trigger til at least after the holidays... lol.

How are you liking the bushbaby? Have the genesis and always wondered if size diff was enough to justify a next gen or bushbaby.

Been very tempted by the GNS convex in 3v... been trying to keep myself from pulling the trigger til at least after the holidays... lol.

How are you liking the bushbaby? Have the genesis and always wondered if size diff was enough to justify a next gen or bushbaby.

I like it a lot. It's the FFG version so it's nice and slicey and the handle still fills my hand really well, which is hard to find on smaller fixed blades. It's not going to do really well taking care of everything I need in the woods if wood processing is needed but it is very versatile and portable. I think it would be great for a hiking knife where pack space can be limited. The Compared to the Mark II, it gets much of the tasks done on smaller chunks of woods and you can't baton much with it simply because it's short. Awesome carver and I think it would be a very nice EDC fixed blade.

Edit to add, I wouldn't EDC the bush baby with pocket carry because of the thickness of the handle but belt carry, super.

Last edited:
Now wait a cotton picking minute. I know you, one for your left hand and one for your right...eh?

Back