Photos Kepharts...They just Work

Well, I received my BK62 and I must say I'm impressed with this knife. For it to be a production knife and only cost as much as it did, it's quite the knife. I have not used her or anything as I just got her.

The only thing that jumps out at me is the grips. They're a tad on the small side for my big paws. I have some black kydex I thought about using for liners but on this one I think orange kydex would be more appropriate.
Does anybody have any orange kydex for trade?

Well, I received my BK62 and I must say I'm impressed with this knife. For it to be a production knife and only cost as much as it did, it's quite the knife. I have not used her or anything as I just got her.

The only thing that jumps out at me is the grips. They're a tad on the small side for my big paws. I have some black kydex I thought about using for liners but on this one I think orange kydex would be more appropriate.
Does anybody have any orange kydex for trade?

I recommend trying it first. The handles are narrow but the height allows most of the big paw'ed people to get along well when using it. Unless you have the XXL variety, then certainly add some thickness there.

Ethan points out that the function behind the thin but tall handle is that it really helps index the edge so there's no uncertainty where it is when using it. I have to think this is great in slippery and/or cold weather.

I recommend trying it first. The handles are narrow but the height allows most of the big paw'ed people to get along well when using it. Unless you have the XXL variety, then certainly add some thickness there.

Ethan points out that the function behind the thin but tall handle is that it really helps index the edge so there's no uncertainty where it is when using it. I have to think this is great in slippery and/or cold weather.
Thanks BE. I'll do just that. I'd prolly have to get longer nuts and bolts anyway.

But at 6'2" 270 lbs, I do have some big paws. Speaking of big paws, my Dad was a biggun too!

Hey Uncle Timbo, glad you got your BK62. I think it’s a great knife! Nice tribute to Kephart and classic BK&T, also.

I’ve got 4 blanks still available from Batch #2.

Hey Uncle Timbo, glad you got your BK62. I think it’s a great knife! Nice tribute to Kephart and classic BK&T, also.

I’ve got 4 blanks still available from Batch #2.
Mike - I agree with you on the BK62. I mean seriously, what's not to like. This knife would be perfect for a beginning woodsman, all the way up to an advanced one.
Four blanks left on your masterpiece? They ought to go quick.

Mike McCarter, thanks for pm re discount, lanyard hole options etc.
Im very tempted, you knives look awesome.

I'd really like to get one of Mike's Kepharts. But I just don't want to spend the money now and I have two very functional Kepharts already and of course the Condor version.

I'd really like to get one of Mike's Kepharts. But I just don't want to spend the money now and I have two very functional Kepharts already and of course the Condor version.

Haha, I'm in that same boat man! It's a beautiful knife. Every few days I get the urge to put in a request... But do I REALLY need a third Kephart?

Maybe...

Guys, guys, guys, I have my first custom Kephart in 3V, then my uber sweet one from Mike, a BK62, one on order from JK Knives and my bucket list will not be complete until I buy one of Scott Gossman's Kepharts.
Question is, can a man have too much of a good thing? We buy knives like women buy shoes and purses. :)o_O:)
The only difference is, ours never go outta style. ;)

......Question is, can a man have too much of a good thing? We buy knives like women buy shoes and purses. :)o_O:)
The only difference is, ours never go outta style. ;)
Yes and No on the comparison with shoes. But it is a reasonable comparison for knife knuts.

They actually do sort of go out of style from a re-sale point of view. Years ago I bought a couple handmade 440C knives which was considered to be a very good steel at the time. Now, it's ho hum..... what are they worth? Not much. Not really complaining about it as I almost never sell a knife. But this kind of thing is a fact not to mention a knife made by some currently unknown maker doesn't garner a lot of interest.

This goes to show you.... USE THEM. Don't save them for some future event that almost never happens.

Yes and No on the comparison with shoes. But it is a reasonable comparison for knife knuts.

They actually do sort of go out of style from a re-sale point of view. Years ago I bought a couple handmade 440C knives which was considered to be a very good steel at the time. Now, it's ho hum..... what are they worth? Not much. Not really complaining about it as I almost never sell a knife. But this kind of thing is a fact not to mention a knife made by some currently unknown maker doesn't garner a lot of interest.

This goes to show you.... USE THEM. Don't save them for some future event that almost never happens.

Rimfire - I agree with you to a certain extent. This Kephart by Mike McCarter Mike McCarter will never go out of style. IT'S A KEPHART!

So it's got 4 things going for it that'll stand the test of time.
  • Kephart (check)
  • Made by Mike McCarter (check)
  • 01 High Carbon Tool Steel (check)
  • Heat Treat by Paul Bos (check)
What does anybody have to lose? Also, I am not a rich man, (WV Hillbilly) but I know a deal when I see one.

I do like Kepharts and Mike M's Kephart is a good one. Would love to own one, but honestly the Kabar Becker BK-62 fills most of the Kephart need for me. Just love this knife. I have so many knives that I am just hesitant to allow myself to be "talked into" (mostly by myself) ordering one of his.

22 Rimfire. Hey, no problem brother. I am not trying to sway you one way or another. All I was doing was showing that a fine Kephart inspired knife made out of 01 tool steel with a BOS heat treat will never go out of style and will stand the test of time.
No matter who made it.
Nothing more...nothing less.
Your BK62 is a fine knife. I have one.

BLADE is coming up in less than a month. A trip to Atlanta is no big deal especially when I stay on the north end of things. I won't know for sure if I am going or not as it depends on available funds. I'm just going to play it by ear and see what comes up in terms of demands on my time in a couple weeks.

That's cool. I live up north and have never been to Blade which is prolly a good thing. I think I've stated before, I am not a rich man and if I went with a CC, I'd be in the poor house when I came home. A lot of these knives I have to save up for, like the Kephart from Scott Gossman.
I never used to collect knives until I found the Kephart and I may end up selling one or a few of those. Just a few years back I was a one in, one out kind of knife knut.
Who knows what the future holds in store. I only have one chopper and that's an Infiweiler. (It's all I need in a chopper) I may end up with the McCarter and the Gossman.

That's cool. I live up north and have never been to Blade which is prolly a good thing. I think I've stated before, I am not a rich man and if I went with a CC, I'd be in the poor house when I came home. A lot of these knives I have to save up for, like the Kephart from Scott Gossman.
I never used to collect knives until I found the Kephart and I may end up selling one or a few of those. Just a few years back I was a one in, one out kind of knife knut.
Who knows what the future holds in store. I only have one chopper and that's an Infiweiler. (It's all I need in a chopper) I may end up with the McCarter and the Gossman.
We all find a way to satisfy our hobby urges one way or another.

I skipped the last two years attending BLADE for various reasons, generally either work or available disposable funds. I am itching to attend this year. I started going to BLADE in 1990. I always spend a good chunk of money if I go. So, that is that big consideration. I usually go for a day (leave early and get back late), either Friday or Saturday rather than staying the night.... I am totally burnt out by the end of the day. You just miss the potential social aspects of the show by attending the way I do.

Been attending a small knife show in Dalton GA in March for the last couple of years. It is mostly a traditional knife show. I enjoy it a lot. That show frequently drains my disposable knife funds which are sometimes pretty lean. Usually end up with a couple GEC knives along with a Schrade/Case or two. Sometimes a new fixed blade gets taken home. But it is nothing like BLADE. There is also a pretty good knife show in October/November in Sevierville/Pigeon Forge TN. One thing about knife shows.... they have not gone the way of the gun shows (yet).

I try to keep this knife hobby in perspective. It is not just what I want and it certainly isn't only what I need. So, it is somewhere in between those end points. I have a modest pile of knives, probably 100 or so, but I have never been interested enough to count them. That is a score I don't care about.

Carried my Lon Humphrey Kephart this past week in the woods. As usual, I didn't cut anything my little Vic Small Tinker couldn't handle. But carrying a fixed blade in the woods "feels good". I thought that downsizing my folder to the Small Tinker would nudge me toward using the fixed blades more especially in the woods. Will be hitting the woods again this coming week and I'll have a Kephart with me.

The thrill of camping has pretty much left me and I seek motels these days. Sleeping on the ground or getting soaked has little appeal to me any more. However, I do have the equipment if the situation requires me to camp.

Last edited:
So this isn't 100% Kephart, but definitely inspired by one - although I am on Mike McCarter Mike McCarter 's books for the real thing...

I love me the spearpoint blade shape. I can't full explain why, but it just works so damn well, and looks great - I think it's the looks that make me prefer it over a clip point.

A while ago, I commissioned a custom camp chopper in the Kephart style from @Robert Erickson - https://www.instagram.com/p/BwNVcIMhAja/

I needed a second knife for more slicing oriented tasks - shorter, thinner stock, thinner behind the edge, etc. Took some lessons learned from the previous build, gave Robert a full page of requested specs (thanks for putting up with me!) and he came up with this:
fullsizeoutput_b84.jpeghttps://www.instagram.com/p/BxqlEpRnkbN/

1/8" CPM-M4 @ 65HRC, 5" long, shallow convex grind, very thin behind the edge. Natural canvas and denim micarta scales.

Just got the pics today and I'm in awe. I think as far as performance knives go, I'm set for quite a while. We'll need to see what Carothers comes up with in their forthcoming Kephart, to see if it'll be able to compete...

Just some crazy, over-the-top features:
  • I like removable handles for maintenance purposes, especially with steels like M4, but flush pins are, of course, more comfortable in the hand. Robert used Corby bolts, with the female portion on the left side of the blade, epoxied into the handle and ground flat. The male side was cut down to size, given a screwdriver slot, and screwed in without any epoxy. The handles can still come off, but the side where my fingers will rest is perfectly smooth
  • The knife has integral bolsters/liners. That is, Robert took 1/2" blocks of natural micarta, milled out a huge chunk to fit in the denim while leaving an 1/8" "liner" behind, and then epoxied the denim in. Why? Cause it's damn cool, that's why! I suppose it might make the scales more sturdy when removed, but I doubt epoxying separate bolsters and sales to a regular liner would have been an issue. Still, though, it looks freaking awesome - check out the IG link above for a spine shot
Can't wait :)

Back