Photos Kepharts...They just Work

UwieJaVh.jpg

It started off as a SUS Scrofa and I wanted to lose the recurve for ease of sharpening.

I guess i got a bit overzealous.[/QUOTE]
Hey, if it works for you?

Hi All, Here's another tribute to the iconic blade in 1/8" Nitro V and Chechem. I stayed as faithful to the original as I could, including the profile (of course), convex blade, lightly convexed to the rounded spine and flared front scales. In general "everything that needs to be there is, and nothing is there that doesn't need to be" (paraphrased from one of the articles I studied).

Oh, I took liberties with the Campitas Turquoise inlays, mosaic pins and an improved "Tracker" sheath (the original sheath is just plain dangerous by today's standards). Hope you like it!20-18 1.jpg 20-18 2.jpg 20-18 4.jpg 20-18 5.jpg

Hi All, Here's another tribute to the iconic blade in 1/8" Nitro V and Chechem. I stayed as faithful to the original as I could, including the profile (of course), convex blade, lightly convexed to the rounded spine and flared front scales. In general "everything that needs to be there is, and nothing is there that doesn't need to be" (paraphrased from one of the articles I studied).

Oh, I took liberties with the Campitas Turquoise inlays, mosaic pins and an improved "Tracker" sheath (the original sheath is just plain dangerous by today's standards). Hope you like it!View attachment 1373126 View attachment 1373127 View attachment 1373128 View attachment 1373129
WHOA! John, you did ol Horace proud! That knife is beautifully detailed. Anybody would be very proud to own that one.

Time to bump this thread fer sure! Here's another tribute to the iconic blade in 1/8" Nitro V. I stayed as faithful to the original as I could, including the profile (of course), convex blade, lightly convexed to the spine and flared front scales. In general "everything that needs to be there is, and nothing is there that doesn't need to be" (paraphrased from one of the articles I studied).

Oh, I took liberties, it has a very slight leaf shaped blade on this one and an improved "Tracker" sheath (the original sheath is just plain dangerous by today's standards). Dimensions 10” OAL and 1.5” tall – 5 1/8” from tip to scales – Balances on the front pin. The scales are K&G stabilized and "denim" dyed Jacaranda with yellow and black G10 (yellowjacket) liners .IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2539.JPG IMG_2540.JPG

Glad you bumped it to the top. Nice knife. For me it is just about at the limit of being Kephart inspired. I’m not saying that as an insult. It’s a nice knife. The following is not about your knife.

A Kephart is a very specific knife.

Some of the Kephart “Inspired” knives shown are so far off they aren’t Kephart at all to me. I suspect most are just going by pictures and have never held a Kephart. Or know the history. Pictures make it seem so flat and basic, a good Kephart is 3 dimensional and loaded with small nuances.

Just the ramblings of an old man.

Even the ones that aren’t Kephart are fun to see, and they keep the thread near the top. So people should not be discouraged to keep posting their inspired knives. I would however urge anyone who has never held a Kephart to find one and use it a little. It’s far from the basic knife it appears to be.

Last edited:
Back