Kersahw Ken Onion Boa: First impressions

I've never posted a review before, and It won't be a detailed report till I have the knife for a while, so these are just my frist impresions.

Appearance:
I got the Multicolored version. I wanted black, but the dealer was out of stock. When I saw the knife, though, I was glad I got the multicolored one. The colors are purple, teal and black, which, as ugly as it sounds, is actualy very classy. The knife rides pretty low when clipped in the pocket, so I don't think the colors make it any more conspicuous. The knife looks very "tactical" for lack of a better term. The blade has lots of belly, and a recurve.

Fit and Finish:
The Handle is aluminum, and fits in the hand nicely. The point of balance is between the index and middle fingers when the knife is held in sabre grip. The knife does seemed to be designed for forward grips, but reverse works fine as well. I like the thinkness of the handle, just right for my (medium) hands.
There is no blade play at all in any direction when the knife is open.

Blade:
The blade is CPM 440V stainless. I'm excited about this steel, I've heard nothing but good things about it. I have yet to attempt any serious cutting with this knife, but It was resonably sharp out of the box (shaving, but not hair-popping.)

Speed Safe:
The assisted opening feature that Ken Onion's kershaw knives are known for. After opening part way, the blade snaps open. It doesn't snap open as fast or hard as I had expected, but it hasn't failed to open and lock once yet. There is a safety to keep the blade from deploying accidently, which is a small slider on the back of the handle, and is very intuitive to operate. I should clarify the opening methods: The guard on the blade protrudes from the back of the handle when the knife is closed, and forms an "index trigger." According to the instructions included with the knife, this is the prefered opening method. A deliberate pull on this trigger will push the blade until the speedsafe feature engages. There is also a thumbstud, which I dislike using because I have trouble dodging the edge of the blade after the stud rockets past my thumb. The trigger is fine for me though.

Overall I am very pleased with this knife. This is my first knife in this price range and I feel that it was worth it.

------------------
William Callahan

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without
hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd
never expect it."
-Jack Handey

Very nice review, William. I liked it. Good and thorough for just first impressions.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do a review for us.
smile.gif

(Hope nobody read my boo boo)

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

[This message has been edited by Bugs3x (edited 03-31-2001).]

Back