Kershaw 1660TSW- S30v or 14C28N?????

Hey, ive become interested in collecting Kershaw Leeks and have a question. Ive been looking at the random leeks and am having conflicting information about the 1660TSW. One website tells me its S30v and another says its 14C28N. Id be very thankfull if someone could clear this up for me. Below are just 2 of the many conflicting sites. In the description they say the same knife is different steels. If you know 100% please let me know about the 1660TSW. Thanks

S30v site
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3270270

14C28N site
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4167618

Mike

Last edited:
I googled it and found a you tube review and the guy said it's s30v. Emailing kershaw would be a good idea.

Thanks Thomas, i was hoping you saw this thread. Is there any Random leeks in different steels besides 14C28N? If so i would really apreciate model numbers. Thanks again!!

Mike

Thanks Thomas, i was hoping you saw this thread. Is there any Random leeks in different steels besides 14C28N? If so i would really apreciate model numbers. Thanks again!!

Mike

The 1660TGRYST looks very similar to the 1660TSW both having the "reverse tanto" style blade. The 1660TGRYST was available with S30V. You can still find them for sale.

Thanks Morrowj, any chance that was offered in plain edge?

Mike

I believe approximately 500 were made with plain-edged blades but the steel was not S30V. The steel was 13C26. The plain edged models are very hard to find. I've not seen any around for quite some time.

Alrighty, thanks for the info. It looks like im ganna have to settle for the basic plain edge model in 14C28N. With there was a PE model in a better steel.

Thanks again

Mike

Alrighty, thanks for the info. It looks like im ganna have to settle for the basic plain edge model in 14C28N. With there was a PE model in a better steel.

Thanks again

Mike

Give the 14C24N a try......I'm really quite happy with it. I carry this one around frequently. A 14C24N blade from 1660TSW with G-10 scale on the non-clip side. My coveted "FrankenLeek" :)

DSCF0289.jpg

1660T Random Leek 13C26
1660TSW Random Leek 14C28N
1660TGRYST Random Leek Serr S30V

:)

I believe approximately 500 were made with plain-edged blades but the steel was not S30V. The steel was 13C26. The plain edged models are very hard to find. I've not seen any around for quite some time.
i bought one today. it has an Dec '07 manufacture date on it. but its brand new. it has the 13c26 plain edge blade.

Hey, ive become interested in collecting Kershaw Leeks and have a question. Ive been looking at the random leeks and am having conflicting information about the 1660TSW. One website tells me its S30v and another says its 14C28N. Id be very thankfull if someone could clear this up for me. Below are just 2 of the many conflicting sites. In the description they say the same knife is different steels. If you know 100% please let me know about the 1660TSW. Thanks

S30v site
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3270270

14C28N site
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4167618

Mike
Thomas is the best source for this type of info, 2brothers and morrowj_98 are pretty knowledgeable, too. 14C28N. Its a limited production model with a frame lock:

"1660TSW Random Leek/Standard FL/14C28N steel debut 984 Pieces"

Last edited:
One last question, In general what is the "better" steel between 13c26 and 14C28N. Im talking in general and not wanting any huge discussion to start. Ive seen to many threads taken off course by a question like this. I mean obviosly S30v is a "better" steel than 440, this is all im looking for.

One last question, In general what is the "better" steel between 13c26 and 14C28N. Im talking in general and not wanting any huge discussion to start. Ive seen to many threads taken off course by a question like this. I mean obviosly S30v is a "better" steel than 440, this is all im looking for.

Both are Sandvik steels and are very similar. 14C28N is advertised as being a little more rust resistant. I really don't notice much difference between the two in terms of edge retention and ease of sharpening.

Thanks again

Mike

I would love a Random Leek in something like s110v or zdp-189.

I would love a Random Leek in something like s110v or zdp-189.

So would I. :)

I doubt you'll see anything in 110V for a while if ever. ZDP-189 Random Leek.....who knows. The Leek is a big seller for Kershaw and they've shown a willingness to produce many different variations of it.

Back