Kershaw AO - Leek, Blackout or Cyclone?

I'd like to get a Kershaw AO knife. I like more traditional shaped blades. For instance, I like my Storm II, but don't like the blade shape and find it hard to sharpen.

I'm considering the Leek, Blackout and Cyclone. Any suggestions?

I've handled the Leek and liked it, but found the handle slippery.

Also, has anyone had a Kershaw AO knife inadvertently open in the pocket when carrying?

If the handle ist too slippery, you might have to get a G10 version of the Leek. I absolutely need to have one, but I'm broke so I gotta wait. My Leek CB is one of my favorites knives and I never had any problems with it so far.

I agree with Morales, get the G10 version. I think that one also uses a S30V blade.
Never had the blade open in my pocket, either. Also the Leek has the safety, so it can' t possibly open in your pocket.

I don't like the G10 version because of the linerlock. I think the Leek with the framelock looks cooler too.

I have a Blackout and a couple of Leeks. The Blackout is very utilitarian, the plastic handles get the job done but that's about it. Feels good in the hand, it's ergonomic and effective, but still very plain. The Blackout has a liner lock, but it seems more than sturdy enough.

The Leek is noticably smaller, and to me has a slightly more upscale feel- also it's made with many different combinations of blade and scale material. Both mine have S30V blades and G10 scales. With Leeks liner and frame locks available, depending on the particular model.

I have many Leeks and have been carrying Kershaw AO's
for nearly ten years now and have yet to have one open
in my pocket. As some others have suggested, if the standard
Leek feels to slippery for ya, go with the G10 version.

The Cyclone is a hefty, well built knife. I added some 3M non skid patches to it as I work with oils and grease daily. The blade steel can be taken to low angles and still be very strong and durable. I have beat mine up pretty good at work with no failures of any type. If a full size Cyclone seems too big then go for the Mini-Cyclone. Same quality in a smaller package.

Back