Kershaw Diskin Fixed Blade.

I've seen these on Knifecenter and other places. It looks very good in the pics. Can anyone provide more info about this blade?

I was interested in this knife as well, but early reports note that the grind on the blade does not resemble that in the product images. Seems like there is a youtube video on the topic, as well as other discussion that a search might disclose.

I was interested in this knife as well, but early reports note that the grind on the blade does not resemble that in the product images. Seems like there is a youtube video on the topic, as well as other discussion that a search might disclose.
Is there a problem with the grind?

I believe that this video was noted in another thread on this issue: http://youtu.be/YHt7D46fkFk It's a painfully long unboxing vid, but it mentions a disappointment (at 4:28 into the vid) that is also reflected in some user evaluations on some bigger sites. The grind line in the product illustration is a beautiful feature. It indicates a flat grind to me, with an artful transition from edge to spine. The knives folks have received have a completely different grind that may be functional but isn't as depicted in the product shots.

I can't be sure, but it looks like the tang may stand proud of the edge of the scales as well. If so, I suppose it's a style thing too, but it's one that doesn't translate well to function for me. Not a deal killer, just my own preference.

I do plan to heft one, and may end up buying, but the inaccurate product shot isn't Kershaw's style, in my experience.

Guess I'm still confused, is there a problem with the production grind?

If the knife in the video is the Diskin, then it does not have the same grind as the one in the picture, nor does it have the same grind as the little Volcan assisted openers that Matt has made in Taiwan.
Guess I'm still confused, is there a problem with the production grind?

I think the thing to remember is that you are comparing an illustration to the actual knife. The illustration looks like a rendering to me, not an actual photograph.
Renderings and photos (from what I've seen), are by necessity produced well in advance of the production models for marketing purposes. There are almost always differences between the final production version and these early representations.
Once the initial marketing assets are out there, it is very difficult to get them replaced. Also by the time the production versions are available, the people responsible for the photos and renderings have had to move on to the current crop of new products.

The problem isn't necessarily with the functionality of the production grind, it's with the difference in the advertized grind vs the one that you get when you buy the knife. I recently purchased one. I like the knife. That doesn't change the fact that it's not the knife I thought I was buying. If you had researched the new Becker BK16, and were all excited that it was a full flat grind, but when you ordered it and if you received one of the 1st run saber grind models, you'd apt to be disappointed. It doesn't mean the knife you got is better or worse, but it isn't what you thought you were buying. I'm keeping the Diskin. It seems like a great knife. That doesn't change the fact that it's not the same as the knife I saw and wanted to buy. The prototype in the picture was unique, and definitely sweet looking. The production model looks like a whole lot of other knives, but it's still a quality American made Kershaw at a decent price.

I think the thing to remember is that you are comparing an illustration to the actual knife. The illustration looks like a rendering to me, not an actual photograph.
Renderings and photos (from what I've seen), are by necessity produced well in advance of the production models for marketing purposes. There are almost always differences between the final production version and these early representations.
Once the initial marketing assets are out there, it is very difficult to get them replaced. Also by the time the production versions are available, the people responsible for the photos and renderings have had to move on to the current crop of new products.
I understand but the designers work for Kershaw and the knife a Kershaw! How "early" a design study must the rendering be for it to be significantly different from the product? And correct me if I am wrong, but the grind on a blade is pretty significant top most people here. I dare say knife people's preferences for grinds borders on the religious. Why put a marketing asset out there that is inconsistent with the product?

just saw an actual photo and the grind does not resemble the pic on most sites at all. Too bad, I thought it was a gorgeous grind when I saw the pic on kc.

Then the problem is with the dealers that advertise the knife using an old picture. False advertising from them.

The Kershaw website has the wrong picture, so it's hard to pass the blame off to other dealers.

I think I can solve the problem.

Thomas just needs to send me one of every production knife, and I'll make sure they have an accurate and up to date image of every model.

:D

Then the problem is with the dealers that advertise the knife using an old picture. False advertising from them.

This.

Also, it's more of an aesthetics issue, I like the grind in the rendering a whole lot more, but with the production grind I would probably not buy it. Not because it's a bad grind, but because I don't need the knife and the only reasoning for me purchasing a knife I don't need is I like the way it looks.

I'll get the image fixed, and then I guess we'll be good here.

Yes, essentially you would. I already consider myself a repeat customer for Kershaw despite the fact that is is brutally difficult to source good blades where I live and cost was my primary concern when I ordered the Scamp and The Crown (which I got today btw :D). I have yet to be disappointed with my Kershaws even with what are obviously the value line. I can only imagine the the stuff like ZT will be better. I have no reason to believe the Diskin will disappoint anyone either.

I don't what it would take for the grind to be made like what it is on the rendering rather than the final product but it would be very very cool. The Crown has a grind very similar to the rendering of the Diskin that has us all excited. Its what makes a $15 knife look like it would cost a lot more. The production Diskin looks like a no-nonsense blade and will be effective but the rendering is what made me want it in the first place.

Post 15 on this thread
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/715067-Kershaw-Scamp?highlight=scamp
My long term usage review of the Scamp.

Last edited:
I did not mean to imply that the knife is not very good, What I observed is that the prototype picture has that distinctive Diskin sweeping plunge line, whereas the production version in the video has a plunge cut more like what I would use. Not better or worse, just different and for some who saw the prototype picture, perhaps unexpected. Matt does some pretty grinds and pretty sells.

After carefully considering the Kershaw representative responses both here and at the Kershaw facebook page, I have decided to return my Diskin hunter. Kershaw has a loyal following, which is understandable. They make a quality product. I have enjoyed my other Kershaw knives and will continue to do so, but at no point in time have any of the Kershaw responses been "we're sorry. A mistake was made. Is there anything we can do to make this right?" instead the response has been to not address the customer's concerns, but rather a more confrontational "is there a problem with the grind?". While I don't believe this represents the companies overall customer service approach, this specific case left a sour taste.

Back