Kershaw Launch or Pro-Tech Sprint

I'm new to this group, and relatively new to EDC knives. I'm thinking about picking up an automatic and can't decide between a Kershaw Launch 11 or a Pro-Tech Sprint. I realize the Launch 11 is a little larger than the Pro-Tech, but I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on one over the other. If you don't have the Launch 11, I'd still like to hear your opinions of the Kershaw Launch series in general compared to the Pro-Tech Sprint.

Thanks!

I've got the Sprnt, and I have a lot more faith in Pro-Tech's manufacturing quality than I do in Kershaw's. Side-opening automatics is what Pro-Tech is known for, and they're pretty widely regarded as making the best ones on the market. The Sprint is a tiny knife, but it fires very hard.

The Launch 11 is substantially larger than the Sprint (2" vs 2.75"); the Launch 4 is Kershaw's directly comparable Cali-legal knife. If 2" is too short, the Newport is the larger version of the Sprint.

Welcome to BF and the group Kevin.

The Launch series are nice and priced nice too. Some of the members here have experienced blade bounce upon opening their Launch, others have not. Perhaps it was on older models, however I have not experienced it with any Launch series to date. It doesn’t appear that there is any body color or blade coating choices just yet to offer you.

Protech on the other hand has color and blade options and even plain or textured frame choices too for the Sprint, even including a California size blade. The Sprint does cost more than a Launch, but I feel the Protech price is justified for what you get, including their A+ customer service if you ever need it.

For the price of the Protech that you would be paying, it would be my first choice to EDC over the Launch.

Welcome:)

I have several Launches, but they haven't been as reliable as I would like. Of the 4 or 5 of them I own, half will bounce off the lock. Not a deal breaker, but its a bit annoying.

I would lean toward the Protech.

As much as I love my Launch 8, I too would say Pro-Tech.

Thanks everyone for their input. It seems like the consensus is Pro-Tech. I'm not in Cali, so I don't need to worry about length (that's what she said), so I think Newport is going to be the choice.

Now, KnifeCenter or BladeHQ? Hmmm. Anyone else have a favorite online retailer?

I have Pro-Techs and Kershaws, and I'd agree that I'd take the Pro-Techs over the Kershaws. That said, when I carry an out the side auto these days 99% of the time I carry a Piranha (split between the X and the 21 models).

i just bought the launch 11. i would say everything about the knife is perfect except the pocket clip.. it’s the only reason i haven’t carried it since i got it. definitely falls between the “just right” size and maybe slightly just barely too small, it definitely skirts the sizing (atleast for my hands)

2301E85B-67F8-498E-9433-272B3A5F4010.jpeg

i just bought the launch 11. i would say everything about the knife is perfect except the pocket clip.. it’s the only reason i haven’t carried it since i got it. definitely falls between the “just right” size and maybe slightly just barely too small, it definitely skirts the sizing (atleast for my hands)

View attachment 1401576
The size looks like a great fit. The pocket clip is what made me question it, to be honest. I actually looked around for a deep carry clip that would be available. I found a couple on Etsy, but I think I might go with the Pro-Tech Newport instead. Thanks for the pic! Good luck with it.

I don’t have any experience with Pro-Tech, but I love the Launch series. The 11 is a bangin model, glad I picked it up

Pic from a few months ago
dZJpTgQ.jpg

I have Pro-Techs and Kershaws, and I'd agree that I'd take the Pro-Techs over the Kershaws. That said, when I carry an out the side auto these days 99% of the time I carry a Piranha (split between the X and the 21 models).

What is a Piranha? I searched for it, but couldn't find it.

What is a Piranha? I searched for it, but couldn't find it.

A Piranha (in this context) is a reasonably priced, US made out-the-side automatic knife. Here is my favorite model, the Piranha X:

QNJIev2.jpg

Here is the slimmer 21 that I've also grown to love:

siGomzG.jpg

There are multiple online knife vendors that carry them. Just search the web for piranha automatic knife and you'll find them.

Back