Kershaw Leek opened in my pocket and stabbed me.

When I used to carry a Gryst , with a similar safety , I always used it .

I figure if a knife (or gun ,etc ) comes with a safety , there's probably a reason .

Like to prevent gelding yourself . :oops:

The only assisted opening knives worth a dang are Benchmades. The detent will keep them from opening during normal wear, and they have a safety. Always use the safety. Your femoral artery is right there and only takes a couple of minutes to bleed you dry.

I stopped carrying my Leek because of Virginia’s silly knife laws that consider assisted openers “of a like kind” to autos.

Last edited:
My pops loves his Leek. He has rolled over it while taking a nap and gotten a poke in the butt.

I'm always wary of flippers and assisted openers with tabs.

Only carry tip down, with the blade against the seam in the pocket. Or tip up with the blade against the pocket seam.

The suggestions on a aftermarket clip, attached in tip up configuration, combined with the safety seem like the way to go with this folder.

I have no desire to test fate a second time.

The only assisted opening knives worth a dang are Benchmades. The detent will keep them from opening during normal wear, and they have a safety. Always use the safety. Your femoral artery is right there and only takes a couple of minutes to bleed you dry.
there are others that are worth a dang.😉 for example the Buck 590 has a bolster lock. also the 294 has a lock. they arent going to open unless ya want them to.

Nonsense ! Nothing wrong with the Ken Onion AO's .

If it comes with a safety ...use it ! That should be just common sense , IMO .

I carried a Blur and a ZT Scavenger for years with zero problems . Neither comes with a safety .

BM is overpriced and has many functional and QC problems reported . Not to mention their terrible PR policies .

Let's not derail into another sociopolitical debate about the company. The bottom line is, of assisted openers that are readily available, Kershaws are a liability. Benchmade safeties work well and the assist is unyielding until locked, unlike many other assists that don't maintain the same consistent spring tension until fully open. Sure my previous comment may have been hyperbolic as I haven't owned every brand, but I've been through a bunch and tried others in stores and they don't open with the same positivity. Anyway, whatever brand you carry, a safety is a must. Even if you're a cubicle ninja who never does anything physically challenging while a knife rides in your slacks, you're still going to catch it on your cuff or ring or other pocketstuffs at some point. Flick happens.

sociopolitical debate
I'm totally cool with makers taking zero /neutral positions , i.e. not getting involved .

I actually much prefer business / corporate entities to NOT become involved politically .

But , when they do , very obviously choose a side ...it best be righteous . ;)

If you have to use the safety to not stab yourself, what's the point in the super fast assisted opening? Honestly curious here - once I realized that the Scallion couldn't be carried safely without engaging the safety (which takes two hands to disengage) I just couldn't see any reason for carrying that knife anymore. But lots of people love these, so I'm probably just missing something here.

If you have to use the safety to not stab yourself, what's the point in the super fast assisted opening? Honestly curious here - once I realized that the Scallion couldn't be carried safely without engaging the safety (which takes two hands to disengage) I just couldn't see any reason for carrying that knife anymore. But lots of people love these, so I'm probably just missing something here.
Only similar one with safety I've had is the Gryst .

With sufficient practice , fast one handed deployment was not a problem . YMMV .

However , I do take your point . I'd much prefer a design that does NOT require a safety .

My pops loves his Leek. He has rolled over it while taking a nap and gotten a poke in the butt.

I'm always wary of flippers and assisted openers with tabs.

Only carry tip down, with the blade against the seam in the pocket. Or tip up with the blade against the pocket seam.

I've spent thousands of days with different manual flippers carried tip-up in my right pants pocket. I never had an issue. In fact, I don't know that I've ever had an issue besides that time with the Leek and one other time with another tip-down assisted knife.

We have a similar discussion going on in another forum right now. Assisted opening was cool back when good manual actions were either rare or expensive. The market has changed since then. The technology has finally trickled down to the masses. Now it's easy to find knives with surprisingly good manual actions, including on captured bearings, for less than $30.

I feel like the EDC community has been trending away from features like assisted actions, tip-down carry, and combination edges. I'm okay with that.

Stabbing oneself is usually not a good idea.

I abhor tip down carry for this very reason.

I have the same problem with my spyderco delica, opens too easily, so I'm afraid to carry it in my pocket. I had a different spyderco open "by itself" and almost cut myself

Huh, how old is your Delica? Tip up or tip down? My Spyderco lockbacks have had a stronger closed bias than the compression locks, a couple liner lock Kershaws, and an old BM Minigrip off the top of my head.

While I'm asking questions, which Spyderco model opened by itself? I've had it happen for different reasons myself with a few different knives, but the only Spyderco (a Delica, oddly) that opened in my pocket had a damaged lock IIRC.

Back