Has anyone used this knife
in the satin finished steel handled
model ? It cuts beautifully, almost
like an exacto. Opening one handed is
great. Closing it is a problem. It's very
slippery, and can fly out of the
hand. I've, pinched, cut myself
twice.

I can't keep my "vegetables" straight, but if the Leek is the largest of the three, then the answer is yes, I have used it. I agree that it, as well as any other Kershaw I have: Nakamura, Chive and Scallion, cut like screamin' mimmies. I really don't have much of a problem closing them. I belive that mine is a frame lock.

The only thing I don't like about my Leek and my Chive is that I have trouble getting the locks to disengage without having to look down because my thumb misses them. That and the fact that they are a bit on the slippery side compared to other folders I have. I have thought about putting a G10 handle on them but I hate working with that stuff so much I haven't tried it.

blaze148 said:
:confused:
twice.

I have the same knife as you, and yes, it takes a bit more practice to close it easily one-handed, likely due to its smoothness and thinness. But it can be done. I have cut and nicked myself a bit too, but whenever I have a new folder I spend a lot of time opening and closing it to smooth the action and get a good feel for the knife. It sometimes takes a while with some, as with the Leek. It can be done though, so keep trying, but CAREFULLY! As you already know, it's wicked sharp! :)

idj

Familiarity does not breed contempt in this case. I use my Rainbow Leek as my major EDC and can close it with ease without looking. It is a slippery coating but I guess I have a tight grip as I recall no problems. It is an A #1 GI good blade. Looks good as new too due to the very hard coating.

blaze148 said:
:confused:
twice.
;) B ;) ;)

I HAD one. I'm a lefty, but living in a right-hander's world I've learned to do many things right-handed. I like having a knife in each pocket, and the Leek always stayed in the right-hand pocket since the lock was devilishly tricky to operate left-handed. That said, with a bit of practice I found the Leek easy enough to close even with my 'uncoordinated' right hand. I'd clear the lock with my thumb, then gently bump the spine against my hip until the blade was almost 90 degrees to the handle. THEN I'd pull my thumb out of harm's way and bump the spine against my hip again to push it the rest of the way closed. While that might not LOOK as slick as a practiced one-hand closing (without bumping it against your body), it IS effective.

I lost the Leek over a year ago and never replaced it -- only because it needs to be clipped, and I've marked up too much furniture carrying clipped knives. I keep a benchmade Ascent II in the left pocket and a Spyderco Native in the right -- both have their clips removed. My Ascent is a great slicer with a 13 degree back-bevel and a 16 degree primary bevel, but it can't match the Leek (though it does hold an edge better, being made from 154CM).

Shalom,
Mark

I have a special edition black leek w/S30v reverse-tanto blade, & I added some black stair-tread tape to the handle & clip. It made it 300% more secure in the hand.

Back