Kershaw Nakamura

Introduction
As some of you will remember, I've won a giveaway contest some time ago and thanks to ThowasW, I could choose any kershaw I wanted.
Kershaw has some of the best user/tactical knives around, but I chose not to take that type of knife, because I don't like using really good knives for outdoor and heavy tasks, because I want to be able to lend them out to other people without worry's, and not be afraid to damage them or loose them.
I'm also not really a collector, as I never buy something I don't intend to use. So I chose a knife that I can carry around every day around cheeple in the city, and use for various knifetasks. And when I saw the Nakamura, I was instantly addicted to it.
Long story short(I won't bore you with further details), the Nakamura arrived a month ago, but because my college exams started two days later, I didn't have the time to write a review, only to post some quick pictures.
Today I've finished my last exam, so here I am :) .

First Impressions:
I liked the looks of the pictures I found on the net, but the real knive is even more handsome. Especially outside, the mukume bolsters give a very nice reflection, with variations in color depending on the sunlight. Really inspiring. The dimensions are perfect and the knife fits my hand nicely.
The Quince wood gives the Nakamura a warm, comfortable feeling in the hand. I haven't experienced that so much with other wooden handles. Fit and finish is very good, and the whole knife shines. The only minor thing I could find is that the wood doesn't fit the bolsters perfectly as the S-shape is slightly different, but it doesn't bother me as it is hard to see. The wood still looks very good. I don't have to describe the nice patterns in the wood, as you can see them in my pictures.
I find the knife also very easy to open one handed with the tumbstuds, and the action is smooth. The washers are phosphorbronze I think(they are dark in color). There is no bladeplay in any direction, and the lock feels very solid. Certainly for a gentleman's knife. I've tested it with a gentle "spine wack", and with the famous STR-method, and it kept locking like a vault. The liners are 1,5mm thick and the detent is very good. This knife certainly can't be considered a gravity knife and won't open in your pockets.
As I'm more used to framelocks, I closed the knife in a wrong way in the beginning and sometimes the skin of my thumb got a little squeezed between the liner and the scales when I closed the knife. I don't know if it is a common thing with liner locks, but I easily adjusted my closing method and haven't got problems with it anymore. So it was my fault and not the knife to blame.
A thing I read about on forehand was that the thumbstuds where a bit 'sharp' according to some. At first I found this too, and felt the thumbstuds pushing in my hip when carrying clipped to narrow pockets, but I think that's only when you pay attention to it. After carrying it a short time, I don't feel it anymore. Certainly not when I carry it in a sheath.

Blade Shape and grind:
I really like the bladeshape and grind. The point is very sharp and strong at the same time, and the knife has enough belly to spread something on your bread with. The blade spine is 4mm thick and flat grind with a small recurve. It came very sharp, but not hair whittling sharp. I love the clad VG-10. I don't always have the time to clean of a knife immediately after use, so I like the rust resistance of the 420J2. I didn't need to sharpen the VG-10 yet, as it holds it edge perfectly until now.
I especially bought me a sharpmaker to be able to maintain it as it should. But I discovered that the edge angle is 47 degrees now. So I will need to change the angle to 40 degrees before I will be able to sharpen the nakamura with it. I can't use my diamond stones because of the recurve, so I think the best way to do that is put sand paper around the sharpmaker rods so the angle will be kept perfectly. I haven't done this yet as I'm a bit afraid of ruining the point or other things a bit. And maybe the knife warms up too hard with sandpaper and can ruin the heat treat? So if you have any advise, I would welcome it.
As said, the point is the best I've seen on any knife. You can use it to slice very controlled and easily through various materials. I've already used it a lot for fine cutting of pieces of paper. It also pierces very easily for making holes without much resistance. I think it's also a very good SD knife, but that's not of great importance to me, as I carry knives for other reasons.

General feelings:
The looks of this knife are so appealing that everybody that has seen it has only been impressed of its beauty as of now. So the main goal is achieved for me: I can carry it around everywhere on a daily base without worrying for the reactions when I take it out of my pocket to cut something. Nobody with a normal mind will call it a weapon. I wont take it with me for things like scouting, because I don't want to risk losing or damaging it. But as SPXTrader pointed out correctly, it would be a shame to get it scratched up inside my pockets.
So I made an amateuristic sheath for it. And I've also got some pants with a hidden extra pocket inside the pocket, where I can put it in safely without the sheath.
When using the knife for a longer time, I find the design of the clip not optimal. The point of it 'stabs' a bit in your hand when holding it firmly. It's not a real problem, but I like the ergonomics better without it. But the clip is very strong, and certainly won't break when it catches on something.
I've summed up some some minor issues with the knife, but don't be mistaken, I really love this knife. I have never seen a perfect knife, and like to see the negative sides in a review myself, so I haven't hidden them.
And for some reason I find it difficult to describe all the good things about it, as there are too many :) It will certainly remain my daily edc for a long time.
I want to thank Thomas again for this great knife, and as soon as I've got a bigger budget to spent(I'm a student now), more Kershaws will follow for sure.

And now, pictures:
(Sorry, I still haven't had the chance to make better pictures than I did the last time, so I will repost them again):

marmergeslotenled6.jpg

marmeropenbovenne0.jpg

marmerschuinlpe7.jpg

marmerbovenscheefkophd9.jpg
marmerbovenscheefvoetvt0.jpg

costuumlabby9.jpg

costuumlsuv0.jpg

I've also made a picture to compare the size of it:

Click for larger version.

And now it is time for me to go celebrate the end of my exams.
But if you've got any questions about the Nakamura, I will of course be glad to answer them as soon as I can!

I like mine. I found the thumbstuds were too long and would catch on my pocket when using the clip, causing the blade to open.

So I ground off a few "mesas" on each side.

Also, I noticed that the copper in the bolsters darken quickly, so keep em polished (or massage them with your thumb, frequently :))

Eric.

Nice review, thanks for your thoughts on this blade. I like the photos you have done a lot also, the best look at the knife I have yet got. I may need one of these at some point.

Are these still hard to find right now?

Thanks for the review and the pics.

I always thought the Nakamura was underrated. Its the one Kershaw I haven't gotten yet, hope to cure that eventually.

I dont have any knife that looks as NICE as that one does.

Good choice ! :thumbup:

I also picked up a Nakamura. It is a beautiful knife and I thought the review was on the money. When my Nakamura arrived the bolsters were shaking because they were so loose and the clip was far too loose also not a big deal but it arrive assembled very sloppy. Also the blade is very far form centered, it is slammed against the right liner with less than a 16th of an inch play. A knife like this should arrive tight and as solid as it looks not chucked in a box to ship like some cheap dime store pocket knife without a thought to quality assembly.

I love Kershaw knives 'design' and have been collecting them since last fall, I have picked up six. Out of the six I have had to send three knives back for quality issues, 2 for assembly problems and 1 was defective materials.

I admit that Kershaw provides the best customer service experience of almost any company I have ever dealt with. Nobody could ever say Kershaw does not stand by their product. I am shocked, however, that I have had to send three of the six knives I have purchased back for quality control reasons.

The best designed 'consumer' knives in the business have got me confused in my experience with quality control. I am stepping back with my wallet and I question about even getting another Kershaw. Sorry fans.

:eek:

Excellent review.

Last edited:
out of curiosity, did you purchase all your kershaws from the same place? if so you may want to submit a review in the good the bad and the ugly forums. also, have you considered asking kershaw for parts (a free service) and fixing the misassembled knives yourself? i have been collecting kershaws for a number of years and while the occasional knife has a particular quirk, a quick call to dawn or web form submission and in about 3 days i have parts and i just tinker with the knife till its perfect.

out of curiosity, did you purchase all your kershaws from the same place? if so you may want to submit a review in the good the bad and the ugly forums. also, have you considered asking kershaw for parts (a free service) and fixing the misassembled knives yourself? i have been collecting kershaws for a number of years and while the occasional knife has a particular quirk, a quick call to dawn or web form submission and in about 3 days i have parts and i just tinker with the knife till its perfect.
Off topic --- sorry. Go ahead, slap my hands. ;)

All my Kershaw knives were purchased from different vendors.

Kershaw cutomer service is the best and always has offered options for the problems I have experienced with their products.

I really have been a bit nutty on Kershaw since last fall and I still think Kershaw designs is the most superior available. IMHO I have never came across a knife I have liked better than a Kershaw. That said I am tired of send back knives and calling Kershaw about problems. Three knives with problems out of six is pretty poor no matter how sweet the design.

Please don't send the Kershaw mafia. :eek:

not trying to be off topic. was trying to ferret out if there was another cause for your dissatisfaction with your purchased kershaws other than QC. and im also not trying to accuse you of trying to start a fuss. i know us kershaw knuts can get a little out of hand with the fan boy stuff; that being said out of the 30 (soon to be 33) kershaws i own, the only one i sent back was requested by Tim to check for a blade stain that turned out just to need polish. everything else i have owned i have used until i broke something (torsion bar or clip screw) and i understand these didn't fail because of quality control issues but rather lots of use.

please don't feel like you are being accused, but i would like more details about the misassembled knives and the ones that you said failed because of defective materials. which models and what parts failed?

thanks

Man, all is very good. I have found that people who buy Kershaw knives have a keen eye for a well designed blade. I do not feel under the scope in any way.

1) SG2 Blur --- Blade alignment and torsion bar

2) 1660DAM Leek --- Damascus pattern was fugitive as in it washed off with simple soap and water. I purchased another 1660DAM Leek with the same pattern issues. If contrast washes away that simply I will never purchase another Damascus blade from Kershaw. I like the looks of Damascus but I buy knives to use them more than look at them. I now have two 1660DAM Leeks too tender for use.

3) Nakamura --- Shipped with very loose bolsters, clip and the blade is very mis-aligned. Also as the review pointed out the wood scales do not fit the bolsters very well at all IMHO. The gap between the bolsters is filled with gunk. The gap and filler gives the knife an impression of something other than quality and craftsmanship. Other than that I really like the knife.

thanks for the info. which models did you buy that you felt lived up to your expectations. i can see you have at least one DAM leek you liked (even though you feel like you can't use them).

Back